Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Touring/fitness/road shoe for SpeedPlays?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have searched the threads and cannot seem to find the answer to my quandry, so here it goes...

I have a road bike and currently ride in Shimano sandals (which I love the look/breatability/comfort) that clip in to SPD pedals. Because of the float factor, I am wanting to switch to Speedplay pedals. However, LBS guy said the cleats weren't compatible with the sandals. Looks like I would be in the market for new shoes, now too! However, I do not need super-serious shoes, as I do not 'race' - yes, I do some triathlons, but do not need to place! I also do century riding, commuting in fall/spring and spinning in winter. The spinning cycles are SPD's, though!!! I was hoping to get a road shoe that would cross over to spinning. Any suggestions? Does Look compatible also equal SpeedPlay compatible?

I am just so bummed that I won't be able to wear my sandals with the SpeedPlays... maybe I won't switch, after all!!!

Angie

Why the interest in switching? Sounds like you're pretty happy with what you're using.

Veronica

I have a recurring issue with my IT band on my right leg and feel the float of the SpeedPlays will help in that area. Do you think it would be hard to learn how to switch out the cranks for when I want to use the sandals? (Yeah, right!)

Oh switching pedals is wicked easy. You do need a pedal wrench though. I have been switching mine probably once a week or so. For my commute to work I like to have platform pedals with Power grips since I'm just wearing regular shoes. For hard rides I like my SPDs.

In fact I have to switch my pedals today. My awesome hubby surprised me with double sided pedals a couple of day ago so I don't have to keep switching them. I was having a problem with my bike shoe cleats catching on the platforms when I was doing short club rides during the week with the Power grips.

There are so many pedal choice out there. It's kind if dizzying.

Veronica

Shoes/sandals

Veronica is right....... switching pedals is really easy with a pedal wrench. If you buy one at your LBS, ask them to demonstrate how to use it. Just remember, you always tighten the pedals down in the same direction as you pedal. You loosen them by turning the opposite direction, which means they are threaded differently on opposing sides.

Isn't there some type of adapter that would allow for use of speedplay cleats on your sandals? Check on the speedplay website (you can always google it to find it) and see what they say.......
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard