Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Ride the Ups and Downs

To disable ads, please log-in.

A ride Sat. May 6, starting in Elizabeth, Il. Close to Galena, Il. Friends of mine did this ride last year and said it was a beautiful route. Hilly, yes, but worth the effort. There are different routes/mileages, longest being 60 miles. I have not found Ride website, but there is ride info on www.bikeiowa.com. Just click on Ride Calendar, and then on the Ups and Downs Ride. Sounds like a good one. I am definitely going. Need to be home to work that evening, so I'll go, do the ride, and head out. Still, if anyone else is going to be there, let me know and I'll be looking for you. I will be riding a bright yellow Trek Project One 5200 that has my e-name, anniebikes, on the frame.

Hoping for decent weather!!!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Have a great time! That day I'll be doing the 5K "Run To Remember", to raise money for the Policemen's Memorial Foundation here in Chicago. I'll ride my bike down and back, making it a duathlon of sorts--8 mile ride, 5K run, 8 mile ride. The next day I'll do the same, but it will be a 5K walk with friends as a fundraiser for the MS Society. It's an easy way to get in some miles on my feet and in the saddle!

Looking forward to the ride report--L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

You have a great day, too Lise! Sounds pretty ambitious to me. But I am not a runner. Tried it, just don't enjoy it at all.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Fairly long Ride Report

This past Saturday was a beautiful day!! Not even terribly windy, which is unusual for this time of year. The Ups and Downs Ride was challenging but thoroughly enjoyable. I loved it!! Distance options were something like 21 - 33- 53- 60 miles. I opted for the 60. Got started at about 8:30 a.m. It was still quite cool; I was glad for my two layers on top, knickers instead of shorts, and wool socks. Started on a downhill, and my teeth were chattering! Well, we quickly got into an uphill and that was the end of being cold. I was riding alone, as all of my riding pals were busy that day. It was nice - could set my own pace, didn't have to push to keep up with anyone or slow down and wait. Registration was 7-9 a.m. so people started out whenever they wished. I didn't see a whole lot of riders on the road. Roads were quiet with sweet rollers and some steeper climbs. When I got to the first tough climb, I could see people walking their bikes. Took my time and tried to spin up the hill and it wasn't too bad. Felt good to get one steep one under my legs! Anyway, to make a long story short, I was riding along, feeling happy being on the bike and, I guess, not paying as close attention as I should to the directions........ Duh! I missed a turn. Went left and shoulda gone right. Didn't figure it out till many miles later.
    Fortunately, they were gorgeous miles, around Apple Canyon Lake. A lovely area, all ups and downs and amazing views. (Forgot to take camera. )
    Finally realized I'd made a mistake somewhere! Got out a map and was able to make a loop back to the first rest stop where I got back on the route, re-rode the miles to where I'd goofed and made the RIGHT turn! Yay! I was back on track but waaaay behind everyone. Made it to the next rest stop and there were a few riders there and a little food left. Had a nice chat and got some options for cutting my route short, if I wanted, as I'd already done quite a few extra miles. Kept going and saw more and more riders. It was such a nice day! By now, I'd shed a layer and was thinking of taking off the arm warmers, too. So I just went ahead and continued to ride, did the optional 20 mile loop on the 60-mile route. Stopped for a rest at the last rest stop and then headed in. I was thinking I'd end up with around 70 miles. And you know, when you sorta have your mind set that you are going THIS far, when you get that far and you still aren't done, it's not a good thing!! My legs were tired, my mental energy gauge was low, and I had 10 more miles to go. And some major climbs! (At least they seemed that way by then.) Fortunately, there were other riders out there. I rode with various people. Plus had a good talk with myself on how silly it was to let my mind convince my body it was done when it wasn't, as evidenced by the fact that I was still moving and not actually that bad off. Eventually, my outlook improved. I enjoyed the final miles. But was I glad to be done!!! Ended up with 80 miles. So a good ride for the day. I want to take some fellow riders back there and do it again. This time, with a camera along. I LOVE my bike. I LOVE to ride. Days like this only reinforce that feeling.

annie

Annie -
    Thanks for the ride report. It sounds like the route was good and like you had a great time. Funny - you're right, I never think of hills in Iowa.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Well, we do have hills in Iowa....... and Illinois..........and Wisconsin. Hills, not mountains. Short, steep, and frequent, at least if you are near the Mississippi river. I consider myself very fortunate to have such lightly traveled, hilly backroads on which to ride. Each part of the world has it's own unique beauty. I love to see/visit/ride other places but am always glad to return to my own little corner of the world. It is my place, my center, where I am grounded.

annie

Was that ride all on pavement/blacktop/paved roads? I was going to do it but the information I saw said something about hard packed gravel. Just curious for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by brok
    Was that ride all on pavement/blacktop/paved roads? I was going to do it but the information I saw said something about hard packed gravel. Just curious for next year.
    Totally paved roads and in good condition, too. Not bumpy and pot-holed. They do the same ride in October, I believe they said. Only they call it the "Leaf Peepers Ride." So maybe watch for it to come around again and do it later in the year when the fall colors will be out. Should be gorgeous.

annie

Quote Originally Posted by annie
    Well, we do have hills in Iowa....... and Illinois..........and Wisconsin. Hills, not mountains. Short, steep, and frequent, at least if you are near the Mississippi river.
    I guess I really knew that! I remember the hills near the Mississippi River (and my taking a different route to avoid them on my loaded bike - still hilly, but not quite as steep). I sometimes have a stereotype of states in my head based on the general location, but that stereotype is usually not correct.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Thanks, Annie I will definitely watch for info on the fall ride. That should be a beautiful ride if the leaves are turning.