Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile new here and to cycling

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi! I am new here and to cycling. My husband and I just bought his and her bikes. Mine is a Giant comfort bike. I am very out of shape, just under 200 pounds, although I have lost 35 on my own. What is the best way to start out? Our neighborhood has lots of hills!
    Thanks for the help

Welcome Maggie - this is a good place to start! There's loads of good info here to get you started. Grasshopper and Hibiscus are also just starting out so you might want to check some of their posts for common newbie questions and replies.

Also, don't be afraid to ask - no matter how silly the question might seem we've all been there and there's lots of girlies out there with top tips and advice.

Yes, we're new and I'm sure asking the dumbest of questions But enjoying every minute of it!!!! One thing I've learned already is that you may be exercising harder than you think, so don't let it get you down if you can't go as far as you want or if you have to walk a hill - there are plenty of us doing both!!!! One day we won't be, but for now I'm okay with it.

I borrowed BF's heart rate monitor and was very surprised at just how much exercise you do get and how much energy you do burn! Have fun and enjoy your time with your husband!!! Congratulations!

I want a heart rate monitor! I've spent too much money on all my bike stuff already -- so I'll wait a little while for that item.

Hi Maggie! I've been at it for a little over 2 months now and am loving cycling so far!! I'm training for an MS150 (150 mile ride for Multiple Sclerosis) in late September -- LOL -- that was a small first goal.

Thanks for the warm welcome! What I am tryng to do is work up to distances. I have been riding in 15 to 20 minute intervals at first and work up to what feels comfortable. The bike I have is a good one, I think, anyway LOL. it is a GIANT women's comfort bike

Maggie,

I rode a Trek Hibrid for about 2 months before I got my road bike and I never road more than 30 minutes...then I got stuck on a longer ride on my road bike and was shocked that I could do it. Seems it takes me about 30 minutes to warm up on a bike. Every time I ride I spend the first 30 thinking it's just a bad day and I'm not going to have a good ride, then the next thing you know I've been riding an hour!!

I'm not saying go for it yet - you know your body and your fitness level better than anyone - just thought I'd share.

Originally posted by hibiscus09
    I want a heart rate monitor! I've spent too much money on all my bike stuff already -- so I'll wait a little while for that item.

a lot of the bike catalogs always have HR monitors on closeout for very inexpensice... try Nashbar.com and performance for starters.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Thanks Irulan!