Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Ragbri

Ragbri

To disable ads, please log-in.

I didn't see anyone post about this one!

Has anybody got info on the RAGBRI... it's a ride across Iowa. Forgot what it stands for....Everybody looks like they caravan in funked out converted school buses with team names.

We drove west on our vacation this year and the day we were traveling across Iowa, we saw bus after bus after bus shuttling the riders to who knows where. I got a brief description from a local at a gas station but would love to hear if someone on this board has done it. Looks like fun, really.

PS how come I don't see a Midwest rides section here?
    Chrisanna

I have done portions of Ragbrai (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) since 1998, but have yet to do the whole thing. It always starts out on the western edge of the state on Sunday of the last full week of August, averaging 50-100 miles per day to make it to the eastern edge of the state by Saturday. Depending on the area of the state, the roads can be quite hilly. It's route is via county roads through towns that are approx. 15 miles apart to reach the larger overnight towns. Along the route and in the pass-through towns, there are many vendors/local lemonade stands selling pancakes/gatorade/fruit/pork sandwhiches/plates of pasta/Turkey Tom legs/etc. The overnight towns normally have entertainment and a carnival-type atmosphere with more vendors and a beer garden. The ride has a different meaning to different subsets of the biking culture. Mainly known as a 'party ride', it can also be suitable for families or for training, whatever you make of it. Everything you would want to know is at www.ragbrai.org. Absolutely do it!!!

This year, someone knew someone, and we had our first team bus. It was painted green and had huge John Deere decals on it. If it's still around next year, we considered Team Bandit, with the slogan of 'Ride Like You Stole It'! Of course, none of us are Blur-type riders, but it may motivate us to ride faster than we currently do, if we have to live up to our mantra!

Angie

RAGBRAI

RAGBRAI is whatever you want it to be............ I've been on 16 on them, including this year. There's really no good way to describe it. You just have to go and experience it. It's the last complete week in July (not August). If you go, you want to go with a group that carries your stuff for you. Much easier that way. It is a week of complete freedom from reality. I don't wear a watch, I don't read a newpaper. I don't have to cook or clean for anyone. (I do call home at least twice a week.) Sometimes I ride fast, sometimes I ride slow and talk to people along the route. If you are interested, check out the website that Angie mentioned. Or ask more questions here.

It's not the only cross-state ride out there. Most states have one and they are wonderful, too. But RAGBRAI is the oldest and biggest and probably, the craziest. (Tho' I have heard the Zydeco Ride in Louisiana gets pretty crazy - MizzLiz? True?)

Chrisanna, I guess "Central," either north or south, takes the place of midwest........ We're pretty spread out, here in the north central forum. Not close enough to get together for any riding.

Is it as hot and humid where you are as it is in Iowa lately? We're supposed to hit 100 by Tuesday. Ugh!
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Talking

OOOps, haven't checked my posts in a while, so didn't know I had any....
    Thanks adkoch and Annie for posting replies to this and giving info on the site to find out more. I will be checking it out!
    Yes, it has been hot in my neck of the woods (SE Indiana)...rain about everyday, too. Some folks ask how I can ride when it's so hot and sticky, but you don't feel it really when you ride....just when you get off the bike and you're suddently covered in dripping sweat...breathing feels like taking in tub water sometimes!
    We have a RAIN ride here (Ride Across INdiana) and it's a one day one way ride. It's an East-West ride across the flatter part of the state. Haven't done it, yet...got to figure out a way to convince someone I know to sit around all day at the other side of the state and wait on me/us to finish!!!
    Thanks again. I hope to find out or do some other great rides in our area of the country to tell you all about....
    Chrisanna
    Chrisanna