Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

*Scared* I start running again tomorrow

To disable ads, please log-in.

Running has been the bain of my existance since October 2005.

Back then, I started training for a 1/2 marathon... to get over my fear of running long distances. I really wanted to do Olympic distance tri's and knew I had to get over my "I can't run that far" fear.

I started to train, and then I got lower leg pain. So, I stopped training.

I stopped running for a couple of months and figured it would be all better when I started with my Tri 101 group in January 2006.

WRONG!

The pain returned... but this time... I got a shin splint and there was more burning in my lower legs than ever.

So, I mustered up the will to complete a tri on 4-8-06, and ran the entire 5K, at a 13 minute mile. It wasn't pretty... or pain free. But I did it.

Then, I saw an advertisement for a kinesology (? spelling) person who could get rid of pain associated with running. I started seeing him 3 weeks ago, and have stopped running. He has given me exercises to do, and I have done them pretty religiously.

Well, tomorrow is the day we start working on my running form. I am so freaking scared! I just can't believe my pain will be gone. It's been around for so long. I keep telling myself to believe... but dang... it just seems too good to be true.

I just HOPE I get to run again soon... pain free... because until I can start running again, I can't plan anymore tri's for the season. Ugh. I know I am doin the right thing, by trying to fix this problem... but it's so hard to not plan for my next tri.

Anyways... there is my ramble.

I will give you an update after my session and let you know how it goes.

It may not go away all of a sudden - nothing is magic in this world - but indeed if you work on your form and strengthen your knee joints you could really improve your condition.

Good luck. I had a small run today, hadn't run a k since a 10k race last week, the first half was a bit difficult but for some reason I came back flying at my best time on that distance ever. Weird. It felt good though. I am going on a trip and was wondering whether I should take my running shoes. Guess what I decided.

Work hard to fix this, it's worth it.

Cheers!

Hang in there, and try not to freak yourself out too much about it. I love your new avatar. Remember the triumph of that. Looking forward to hearing how it went. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Good luck on the run - hope it works out ok.
    Just as an aside, have you had your shoes checked out by a reputable store? It may be that they're not the right pronation for you and are causing some of your lower leg pain.
    My running buddy was getting terrible shin splints and lower leg pain and went to a shoe retailer, who videod her running and analysed her footfall on a computerised running mat.
    Since getting the shoes they recommended, she's had no problems whatsoever.
    Life is Good!

Thanks for all the kind words and advice.

I am going on a trip and was wondering whether I should take my running shoes. Guess what I decided.
    Naw... screw that... rest and have fun! HA!

Just as an aside, have you had your shoes checked out by a reputable store?
    Done. I bought shoes for my pronation back in October 2006. I currently have a new pair on order as well. And I was checked and fitted by a running store. And it did fix my problem for about a week.

Remember the triumph of that.
    HA... I remember THAT run. It was my first triathlon, and I had this horrible side cramp the whole way. I walked some... was hunched over... pinching my side (as I did in both tri's last year). I made sure though that I could RUN when people could see me, and made it very "dramatic" when I crossed the finish line. *Smile*

Ok, I haven't gone yet... but I did have nightmares about it all last night.

OK. I went.

He had me run some... saw what my "problem areas" are and had me do drills. He said I wasn't ready to full on running yet.. yes, my form is just that pathetic.

I was huffing-and-puffing like I was a 500 lb woman who had never done cardio in her life during the drills! That is what happens when I don't run for a month!

So, I do drills this week with some MINOR running... just to get my cardio base back. But, my form is so crappy... I am only doing around 300 yards of total running.

It wasn't so scary after all. We are slowing building me back up so I can become a FAST runner in the future !

Quote Originally Posted by KSH
    It wasn't so scary after all. We are slowing building me back up so I can become a FAST runner in the future !
    Wow, that's so awesome. It's great to hear you're on the path not just to "recovery" (to be able to run again) but to improvement at the same time!

I'm a sucky runner myself, maybe getting some tips and tricks from an expert would help I always thought this was the area of a personal trainer kind of person, but I guess a "real doctor" would really bring it all into perspective about what's REALLY going on and how to do what's best for your body.

The only downside is that now I can't make fun of all those kinesiology majors in college anymore... we used to give them a hard time (as engineering majors ourselves with english major friends, we couldn't make fun of english majors)

I'm a sucky runner myself, maybe getting some tips and tricks from an expert would help I always thought this was the area of a personal trainer kind of person, but I guess a "real doctor" would really bring it all into perspective about what's REALLY going on and how to do what's best for your body.
    Well, I wish I would have done it LONG before all the issues would have popped up. Unfortunately though, only pain would have motivated me to PAY for the tips.

Personal trainers are all about building muscles and core strength... but they can't look at your running form and analyze what you are doing wrong and how to correct it.

I truly hope that someday I can FLY when I run!

Have you tried Chi Running?

KSH, read your post and wanted to share that I just learned Chi running a few months ago. The foundation of Chi running is taken from Tai Chi. It promises to be an injury free way of running and so far delivers big time. I would highly recommend giving it a try.

sounds like you are off to a great start. finding answers and preventing problems sound much better than pushing through the pain. I look forward to seeing more updates.

Quote Originally Posted by ptsheridan
    KSH, read your post and wanted to share that I just learned Chi running a few months ago. The foundation of Chi running is taken from Tai Chi. It promises to be an injury free way of running and so far delivers big time. I would highly recommend giving it a try.
    What I learning is in that form.

Where you do a mid-foot strike and focus on candence versus stretching your legs out in front. If that makes sense?

Well, I am missing my appointment on Monday. My legs are sore from riding 130 miles this past weekend!

I will keep on the updates in the never future though!

KSH,

Yes Chi Running is similar to what you describe, landing midstike and opening your stride behind you instead of infront of you. It also incudes posture tips so you don't "spill your CHI" and concepts related to leaning foward and picking up your feet and leveraging gravity.

Long Bike ride! Congrats!