Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Crikey!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was browsing BJ to see who did DMD and saw that Bill guy (Nancy's friend from Benicia) did it in 13 hours. 13 hours!! Can you even IMAGINE? I can't.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Hi V.

What a ride you had! 13,370 miles of elevation over 135 miles sounds absolutely impossible for me to do. In my book, you are awesome!

I do hope your back is feeling better. Keeping good thoughts for you

Judy

Veronica - have you ever tried Pilates? Helped my back in a big way...

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    This morning I was lying awake, filled with remorse that I didn't finish the ride. I knew this would happen. I remember thinking that I would second guess my decision to stop and telling myself on Saturday not to do that.
    Well, for what it's worth, Lee and I toddled a bit up Mt. Hamilton yesterday and then took Crothers Rd. back down to Alum Rock Ave/McKee/Toyon/Peneticia Creek/Piedmont Ave.

( So we can say we rode the DMD Route ... about 1/40 th of it. And no we did not turn right & head up Sierra. )

But as we were doing the somewhat steep, winding descent of Crothers Road - which was really fun and very pretty in broad daylight, I might add - I couldn't help but think about you doing it at night with just one brake.

Of course if anyone could manage the route with one brake, it would be you but as I was pondering what kind of obstacles would pop out without warning, I went around a curve and almost ran over a freakin' rattlesnake crossing the road. Big mother. gahhh.

Yeah, I know, a rattlesnake wouldn't be out on the asphalt at night. But you know what I mean ! I'm being a mother hen, but I'm trying not to dwell on the descents you would have had ahead of you as night fell.

I'm glad you're safe & sound.

Sierra Road

Well, I think there's a picture here of "petit pois" with the goat on Sierra Road's "Pet the Goat rest stop".

After watching the DMD Saturday, I can say I am glad I didn't do it. I think next year. (I am still recovering form the 600 and seem to have gotten SARS or some other weird lung thing. To doctor tomrorow).

Anyway, what I saw was amazing - I started up Mines at about 1:30, and found people scattered all over the climb up Hamilton. I stopped off at the junction and saw my brevet friend, Ken. Em had a root beer float and we watched people get their lunches. Then we started up towards Hamilton. About 3 miles from the top, I saw my friend Paul. He ended up making the summit at 4 and finished in 17:19 according to the results sheet. Impressive.

Thom was super cheery and optimistic at the Windy Gap stop. Boy was that stop appreciated by the riders - it seemed like a lot had run out of water by then and it was starting to get warm.

Thom advised us to continue over Hamilton to get to Sierra - if we'd gone back down Mines, we might have seen V, so I kind of regret not going back down. But it was starting to get a bit late and the goat was the incentive for getting Em to agree to go out there, so we went to Sierra.

At the Sierra stop (about 5 pm), there were a lot of super strong riders there by that point, including the first woman to arrive. But you could tell the ride was starting to take its toll. One guy couldn't keep any food down and was shivering. I checked the results and he actually finished - I am amazed because he di dnot look good.

The goat was well worth the trip - huge and personable. Em loved him.

So from everything I have heard, DMD is the hardest double in CA. I had a long talk during the 600k (where there's really not much else to do but have long talks!) with a woman who's done the 508 solo, she's done Terrible Two and a lot of other wacky stuff. She said hands down the DMD was the hardest double - she said it made TT look like a cake walk. So I am so impressed by everyone who started that ride - especially V! You'll do it next year!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	807  
    Last edited by maillotpois; 05-01-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Lookee there. You are technically savvy.

Do you know if Baldino successfully recruited Bill for RAAM?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Thanks for the instructions - but I still can't get the higer res picture in there. So it's all blurry. Oh well. I try to resize and it does not work. V's pics are amazing and I wonder how they got the super good resolution photos up.

They got a different rider for RAAM. I don't think Bill could do it. Or maybe he's just smart...
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

I get the pictures directly off our website using the insert image button here on TE. I copy and paste the jpg file.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

MP might just have to break down and get a photobucket account. It's all of $0.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    MP might just have to break down and get a photobucket account. It's all of $0.

Argh! It's not the $0 its the process!!

Of course even at a good resolution, none of my photos will compare to V and Thom's. Great stuff.

But even blurry, you have to admit that goat is great incentive to get up Sierra!! Of course, I am a goat person.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

It's their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob

I'm glad you're safe & sound.
    Yeah me too.

My back feels much better, almost normal. Two years ago when I did the first half of the staff ride, my little two mile commute to work the Monday after exhausted me. Today I felt good. I know I am in the best shape I've ever been in - except for maybe when I was 19 and swimming in college.

I've never done Pilates. I think if I could just work swimming back into my life on a regular basis my back would be fine.

V.

TandemHearts.com

I think you lose resoution because you have to re-size to attach it. If you insert as in image (posting the URL), that isn't necessary.

V, I know how you feel. When I hurt my wrist a couple years ago I stopped my yoga practice. My core strength has really suffered. Maybe I should test out the wrist's flexibility again, soon, maybe, after the WCC, . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    I was browsing BJ to see who did DMD and saw that Bill guy (Nancy's friend from Benicia) did it in 13 hours. 13 hours!! Can you even IMAGINE? I can't.
    That must be just his ride time, the official results list him at 14 hours and something.

The first guy finished in just over 12. The first woman was 13:50. Gee... I'm working my way up Hamilton and she's done...

V.

TandemHearts.com