Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thumbs up Looky what cycling has done for me!

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I was going through some old pictures I had stored on the computer, and found one of me from way before I started biking. Cripes! What a tremendous improvement I have seen in the last few months! Heck, at the beginning of March I had NO bikes, now I have three Then, I was over 200 pounds at 5'2". Now, I've lost over 25 pounds, lost a lot of fat and gained a lot of muscle. Lost three sizes too....and I still feel like I've only just begun.

So anyhow, if you wanna see, here's me before. Actually this pic was from way over a year ago, and I believe I got even bigger than this. http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=3749

And here's me now. Still a way to go but I'm pretty freakin thrilled at the difference! http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=3748

So, what has this fabulous sport done for you??

Jessie

Re: Looky what cycling has done for me!

Originally posted by peepsmack
    So, what has this fabulous sport done for you??

Jessie
    taught me how to "play" as a grownup

makes me strong and gives me a sense of adventure.

Puts a smile on my face

Great legs and a great a** if I do say so myself. But I don't have to, I keep hearing it.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Ditto to what Irulan said, um, except I never get compliments on my legs and butt...

Also,

- all the health benefits of regular exercise
    - improved confidence
    - weird tan lines

it's funny I don't think so.. but for example, when I got shuttled this weekend, it was an old buddy (roommates ex boyfriend from 25 years ago that I keep in touch with, very "safe") he said, dayum, how old are you now (42) woman you have a great....
    I tend to muscle so folks always comment on my biker legs.

;-)

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Wow Jessie!! You look like a different person! You're doing fantastic! I just started cycling a couple of months ago -- I'm loving it!

Well done Jessie - you must be so pleased!

What's cycling done for me? Well, a lot of the things other people have said. Improved confidence definitley. Stonger fitter bod, which is great, but the mental benefits of regualr exercise have been brilliant. I do an office job so I'm sitting all day, but I also tend towards a lot of nervous energy which had nowhere to go till I took to the bike.

Other benefits: friends all over the place. Cycling's a minority sport here so any time I meet a fellow cyclist on the road I feel I'm meeting another potential friend.

Adventure: been to some cool places in Europe, up mountains and all sorts.

Yes - weird tan lines too.....!

I now have muscle, three years ago I weighed almost 20 lbs less than I do now (also started climbing then, so it's not all legs). It may not all be muscle , but I still say I look much better now than I used to.

The opurtunity to wear the brightest tops that I can find.

To feel tough wearing my biking gloves.

Many, many bruises.

The chance to play outside more.

An excuse to get dirty.

Jessie you look great!! Congratulations! I've just started but cycling has already given me the chance to:

buy new clothes

have an a$$ - the padded shorts. (I'm board flat back there!!)

conquer a fear

LOL -- I'm sure not flat back there-- I have the opposite issue -- looks like a basketball. When I add those shorts, !!

That's so true Assassin_X wearing cycling gloves also make me feel tough. It's great

What has cycling done for me???

My bike is the best therapy, (emothional and physical), that you can buy!!!

Karen

live to ride, ride to live

Way to go, peepsmack! I've been biking to and from work for a couple of years now, and although I definitely feel much stronger than I used to, I'm unfortunately still holding onto those extra pounds. Probably because I sit at a desk all day! Well, and I consume too many carbs, too...

Thumbs up

Oustanding! You are looking (and I'm sure feeling) great.

Ditto on all the other ladies' comments. I would add:
    1. Food and eating are not an issue anymore. I don't "diet" like the ladies at work continually do.(I have friends right now who are doing Atkins, Fit for Life and Hypnotherapy).
    2. I found that I can learn something new at age 40 and get better at it each year.
    3. Cycling keeps me feeling like a frisky milk fed lamb.
    (got that on my desk at work from a promo Giant put out a while back. Good motivation for me, though.)
    Chrisanna

What riding means to me........

Way to go, Peep! You are lookin' strong!

What has cycling done for me? Oh my, it's so much a part of my life that I can't even imagine life without it.

It has kept me sane through all of life's up and down for the past 15 years.

It has kept me fit and looking younger than I would have thought possible.

I believe I can do WHATEVER needs to be done because I can:
    Ride 200 miles in a day
    Ride up a 24% grade
    Ride when I am sick or hungover
    Ride alone
    Ride with friends
    Ride the roads
    Ride the dirt
    Survive crashes and broken bones
    Race and win
    Race and finish waaaay back in the pack and still be happy!

I could go on and on. Those of you new to cycling, hang in there! Keep riding. The experiences you will have and the happiness it can bring you are worth the struggles to begin and continue on.

I wish you all the Joy of cycling!
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Annie - that's truely inspiring!!! In fact , I think I might draw up my own list to help me out when life gets tough.

Thank you