Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Wsd

Wsd

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey Im new to biking and I really want a WSD bike. I have been fitted for a few, but was looking for some input from other people. What is a good bike for its value under 700? I looked at some Treks and Fuji's... I want to look at the Specialized Dolce too, Any other Ideas, input? It would be appreciated, Thanks.

Kona does some WSD. I just bought a Kona Dew (not WSD, but fits me great) for $380. Mine's just a basic bike. I looked at several $400-$500 bikes, and this one I just fell in love with.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have a 2005 Dolce Comp. I am 5'2 with I think a 29 inseam and the size that fit me perfectly is a 51cm. The best way I describe the fit is "it fits me like a glove" and I love the ride I get. I am always able to find the perfect gear in different situations.

Since everyone's, leg length and arm stretch is different you will need to try the different makes and sizes. A 51 for one company, may fit differently from another.

But, since you asked, that is my opinion of my Dolce.

Have fun and good luck in your search.

~ JoAnn

Jo, tell me more about the Dolce

I rode a Ruby last weekend and loved the ride, but think I need the triple for the hills here. The carbon frame made for a smooth ride, but smooth doesn't mean anything if I'm walking up hills!

KB

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    I rode a Ruby last weekend and loved the ride, but think I need the triple for the hills here. The carbon frame made for a smooth ride, but smooth doesn't mean anything if I'm walking up hills!

KB
    If you really like the Ruby the shop would probably be willing to swap the compact double for a triple - but they may charge you a bit to do it.

Amanda - search WSD and you will find quite a few recent discussions about bike fit and whether or not WSD may be appropriate for you.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden
    Amanda - search WSD and you will find quite a few recent discussions about bike fit and whether or not WSD may be appropriate for you.
    I ditto what Eden said.

It all comes down to getting on the bike and seeing how it feels. I didn't think I would need WSD, but found that it was the most comfortable for me. It all depends on how you are shaped. Check out the other threads - there are plenty. I think that will help. Good luck in your search

amanda... my first bike was a dolce elite (51) ... it was a good bike! i had to get a shorter stem... (way shorter) cuz they actually sold me a bike that was a bit too big.... but i put a LOT of miles on my dolce!

i've since upgraded to a ruby pro (49).... one size smaller.... and guess what!?! i still had to have a shorter stem (only not quite as dramatic a change as the dolce!) i LOVE LOVE LOVE my ruby!

kaybee..... my ruby came with the double dura-ace... i had them change it out to a triple... cuz i'm a climber and knew i would need it to be able to do the rides i did last year and then some! i had to buy the triple though.... cuz they didn't have a market for the 167.5 double dura-ace.. but they sold it to me at cost, at least! your bike shop might change out the compact (or double.. depending on the bike you are looking at) for just the difference... it doesn't hurt to ask!

for the triple shifter to replace the double shifter... they just charged me the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee

KB
    Hi KB,

Well, the 2005 Dolce Comp did come with a higher grade carbon fork as well as seat post as well as upgrades from the other Dolce models. Components are Ultegra but a DureAce rear derailler (sp?). I climb well with it, but I also do need a triple. Then again, I never tried a compact (double) 10 speed.

I know I get a real sweet ride. I can't say if it is smoother than the models below it because I did not try them. My bike before this was a Specialized Sirrus Sport and there is a major difference between this and my now Dolce Comp. I always felt that I needed an in between gear, but never with the Dolce plus my ride is so much more smoother.

As far as fit, like I said, it fits like a glove. I am back to riding after fracturing my shoulder on Labor Day and my longest ride has been 30 miles so far and I did not have to take any motrin or anything like that, my shoulder felt great. I first century is on May 21st, and I do not for see any problems of discomfort, but may take motrin as a precaution.

This years comp might come with 105 10 speed components but it is a compact double and according to my husband this form of 105 is the quality of the Ultegra.

If you can try a Dolce and also the Ruby I would ride both to compare for smoothness. I believe fit will be the same with the two. However, I also believe models between the two like, comp, pro, expert for example will make for a different ride.

Hope this did not sound too confusing.

~ JoAnn

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-n-NY
    If you can try a Dolce and also the Ruby I would ride both to compare for smoothness. I believe fit will be the same with the two. However, I also believe models between the two like, comp, pro, expert for example will make for a different ride.

Hope this did not sound too confusing.

~ JoAnn
    but if your budget is really $700.... don't try the ruby! lol! as much as i liked my dolce... the difference in ride to me... IMO... is truly night and day...

Fortunately, my budget is a bit more than $700! I'm looking at something in the price range of the Dolce Comp to replace my Giant OCR3. The Dolce Comp has the Shimano 105 triple. I asked at the shop about switching the compact double on the Ruby for a triple, and was told by the guy "helping" me that he didn't think it could be done. But, now that I've ridden the Ruby, I at least have something to compare it with. I've located a Dolce Comp in my size at a shop about 90 miles away and will test it (and anything else in my size) this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for the info!

KB

GRRRRRRRRRR YES... they CAN change it to a triple.... if they don't WANT to... then find another bike shop! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

they will also have to change the shifter... and of course... you should expect to pay the difference... but to tell you they CAN'T!!!!!!!!!

I thought he might not have been quite truthful with me. Of course, he lost ALL credibility when he got into a gear discussion with my husband, and told me I wouldn't understand it! He probably also thought Mr. KayBee would be the one whipping out the credit card. Ha!

Fortunately, I didn't go into that store to buy a bike; I only went because I had called around and they were the only shop within 30 miles that had a WSD bike and I wanted to see how it would feel. I knew I would not be buying a bike that day, and certainly not the first one I rode. Anyway, the search continues Saturday . . .

KB

I just got my first road bike. I tried a Felt men's model and really wanted it to work, but for some reason, the WSD was what was right for my body. I went with the ruby comp (the lowest end ruby) and I adore it. I had been riding an aluminum hybrid and the difference in ride between the alum and carbon is unbelievable. I have a broken collarbone that never healed so really wanted a smoothe ride. I kept the compact double, but the chicago area does not have much in the way of hills (major understatement - the closest ski hill is manmade).