Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Good Read

To disable ads, please log-in.

This thread was a perfect read, given that I spent yesterday afternoon cleaning my bike! I am envious of everyone who has access to hose. I live in an apartment building so my bike shop is: an old sheet on the kitchen floor, bike on bike stand, Simple Green, old toothbrushes, and old cotton underwear or t-shirts for rags. The water I use is whatever is in my rag as I wipe things down. I end up having to bleach the sink when I"m done!

It must be a Maine thing, because I learned OldBikah's trick about running rags through the cassette from my dad (in Maine). Works pretty well.

Also appreciated the tip on the chain--I've looked and looked and looked for the "secret link" but I must not have one. Now I willl have to invest in the chain-breaking-tool-thingie! Also need to buy the bike chain cleaning device!

My goal is mainly to remove as much noticable debris, and if I'm lucky end up with a shiny chain and cassette! I tend to do my cleaning once a month when I am riding regularly (4-5x week x20 miles/ride)

Another tip: don't splurge on a manicure the day before you clean your bike. So much for treating my little stubby nails to color!

-s

Hmmm, am I the only one who uses WD40 for routine chain cleaning? I've always done this, since I was a teen. I spray WD40 liberally on the chain and rear cassette while turning, brushing, and using a rag (and rag strips) to get into nooks and crannies until all the gunk is gone. Once most of the solvent has been mopped off and evaporated then I reapply lube.

If I were doing a full chain clean (taken off the bike, degreased, rinsed with water, and dried fully before re-lubing) I'd feel more comfortable using a degreaser and water. But I always worry about degreaser residues as well as water left behind causing corrosion and interfering with the chain lube. I figure using a petroleum solvent like WD40 is safer, the worst it will do is dilute your lube a little bit.

Question about the chain master link stuff - I want to get one of these but I seem to recall reading (on Sheldon Brown's site, maybe?) that you can't use a masterlink with Shimano chains. I heard that you have to break the chain and install a new connecting pin every time. Is this true?

Agreed, great thread with some good ideas. I particularly like the Bombay Sapphire part, SadieKate.

Me too. I'd make SK a G&T anytime she felt like cleaning my bike.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Okey-dokey, tlkiwi. You bring your bike to me, I'll clean it. When should I plan on your arrival?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Hmm. Dunno how long it'll take me, but I can guarantee that she'll be good and dirty after riding through the Atlantic and across the US. Hope you've got a big G&T glass.
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 04-25-2006 at 03:01 AM.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

I can prolly find one by the time you get here.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla
    Hmmm, am I the only one who uses WD40 for routine chain cleaning?
    Nope! My family does the very same thing.

Some bike mechanics have advised me against WD-40. I think the reason was that it's more likely to damage the plastic parts of your derailleur, and also your tires and other parts of the bike.

Ladies, thanks so much for the great suggestions. I bookmarked the Park Tool site. I'm just off a 24 hour call shift, and can barely see, much less think straight, but that never stopped me from coming to read the answers about bike cleaning! I'll clean her outside, in a little concrete area we have out back of my apt building. I shudder to think of the mess I'd make indoors. Although, the basement...anywys, to bed. Thanks.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Grog
    Some bike mechanics have advised me against WD-40. I think the reason was that it's more likely to damage the plastic parts of your derailleur, and also your tires and other parts of the bike.
    Oh, I usually put some newspaper or cardboard to prevent overspray, and do a full wipedown of any areas that may have gotten hit. WD40 shouldn't affect plastic, but it will degrade rubber or anything petroleum based.

http://sunandski.com/page.cfm?PageID=98 "how to wash your bike"
    and the "commuting" articles at http://www.bfw.org/articles/index.php include some good stuff about washing... I'm going to get better at washing my bike, honest... starting tomorrow!

http://performancebike.resultspage.c...=chain+cleanerHere is a link to some chain cleaners. I'm sure you can get one at your local bike shop. I'm not recommending any particular brand...just wanted to give you an idea what they look like. Basically you just attach it to the chain, fill it with cleaner/degreaser, spin the cranks and little brushes clean the chain. It will drip greasy gunk so be sure do do it in the grass or put down paper. Spray your cogset and use a toothbrush or small brush to clean. Rinse with no pressure hose. Wipe everything dry and then lube. Wipe off extra lube. Chain should basically be dry so it doesn't attract dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinSis
    This thread was a perfect read, given that I spent yesterday afternoon cleaning my bike! I am envious of everyone who has access to hose. I live in an apartment building so my bike shop is: an old sheet on the kitchen floor, bike on bike stand, Simple Green, old toothbrushes, and old cotton underwear or t-shirts for rags. The water I use is whatever is in my rag as I wipe things down. I end up having to bleach the sink when I"m done! -s
    How about filling up a couple of buckets with water, taking it to a common area of the apartment building and washing it down there? That might work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla
    Hmmm, am I the only one who uses WD40 for routine chain cleaning? I've always done this, since I was a teen. I spray WD40 liberally on the chain and rear cassette while turning, brushing, and using a rag (and rag strips) to get into nooks and crannies until all the gunk is gone. Once most of the solvent has been mopped off and evaporated then I reapply lube.
    Dianyla, I'm an old WD40 user too. I even clean my frame and hands with it. I posted a similar question a couple months ago and got several responses that WD40 is not appropriate. Try a search to find it. Our bike shop used WD40 quite liberally 30 years ago, but guess there are better things nowadays. I did just buy some fancy chain cleaner and used it last night. But I really love the smell of WD40. So many good memories associated with it. (You all understand, right?)