Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snot Rockets

Snot Rockets

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went out on my first ride this year (at home) - yesterday.
    A group of about 20 riders came up behind me and I decided to try drafting a bit - which was difficult as I am scared of leaving only one-two wheel lenghts between myself and the bike in front of me. So after a while I started letting myself drop behind.

So this one guy was feeling the need to blow a snot rocket. He had the kindness to move into the traffic lane so as not to grace anyone behind him, which worked nicely, until another guy produced a beautiful, visible cloud of aerosol - which I was unable to evade. Just hold your breath and pray there's no virus in it.

Yuck.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

snot rockets

Snot rockets...I haven't perfected them yet...I'm sure someone somewhere is eating breakfast & won't go into that...

Anywho, i just hope the guy who snot rocketed you will look & notice others around him prior to going for it.

Perhaps you can snot rocket some dork the next time you ride. The ultimate revenge?

c

snot rockets...or the lack thereof

I myself am not a Rocketeer...can't get the hang of it. I seem to end up with it all over the front of me. I sniffle and snort my whole ride....

Rocket Impaired.....

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl
    I myself am not a Rocketeer...can't get the hang of it. I seem to end up with it all over the front of me. I sniffle and snort my whole ride....

Rocket Impaired.....
    Keep practicing! Let it build up til you have enough to launch!! I've perfected the art, however, I still occasionally misjudge the wind & "spoooge" the lens of my glasses.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Misfired snot rocket

Typically my aim is pretty good, but every now and then I end up with one on my jacket or tights. What's worse, is when they freeze!

Yuck! I myself am a complete snot-rocket dweeb. I'm not even too good at spitting stuff without hitting myself. I tuck kleenex in my sleeve like an old lady, and snuffle onto my sleeves and gloves the whole ride.

I admire those of you who draft. The concept is wonderful. I even dreamed that I was doing it once, recently. But in reality, I haven't developed the skill. I don't do many group rides at all, and drafting is illegal in the tris I do. Still, it seems like such a nice way to work with a group, to pull and be pulled.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Ew. Poor you, alpine. I always check before I fire. You could call me an erratic rocketeer - the things either go miles or land on my shoulder, no middle ground.
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 04-02-2006 at 02:04 PM.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Duck and cover!

It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Ahem....I'm actually embarassed to admit that I feel some pride at having mastered snot rockets. Of course, I do check VERY carefully so as to avoid what you describe happening.
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

Shoot, I can hardly blow my nose, let alone fire off snot rockets.

snap "no rocketeer here" dragen

I tried a couple times, in desperation, to learn how to do it. I can only hit my sleeve, though. So I am resigned to being a Sniffer.

I spent about five hours Saturday night being sprayed by snot rockets. It's pretty gross, but if you want to draft...

(I guess some people aren't on the clue bus about moving over first.)

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Did you ask the guys if you could join in? I only ask because from reading other cycling message boards I've seen that guys can be rather touchy and sometimes use snot rockets (and other nasty things) to discourage uninvited draftees...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

That's disgusting! No, we were a team. The offender has some sort of medical condition, multiple myeloma, and had had a stem cell transplant. I wonder if it had anything to do with that. He had a lot of breathing difficulty- coughing, throat clearing, etc. the whole nine hours I spent with him.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Sounds like a fun ride, ahem...

We announce when we're firing and pull off, and even to the back - but we generally are doing "dilly dally drafting" - we're also chatting and we'll just slow down until the snocketeer is done and back with us.

Snot rocket suggestions:

I posted these suggestions a while ago, but I think posting them again may have some value. Kind of like a public service message.

1. Speed is your friend. They work best when you are riding fast. The rocket will fly away better. (Actually, the rocket goes the same speed; you just have a better chance of getting away from it when you are riding 20 miles per hour rather than 5).

2. Practice when you are alone. I think a big part of the problem is psychological. We just are programmed not to do this in public.

3. When group riding, launch them when you are at the end of the pack or at least on the edge. It is uncomfortable for at least two people (you and the other rider) if it lands on one of your riding partners...

4. Beginner's practice... Try it in the shower. Yes, this is gross, but you really need to know "how" to do it before your public debut!

5. They really do help! Sniffling and wiping your nose just doesn't cut it. Once you let one fly, you can breathe again!