Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 1165 FirstFirst 12345678915551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread Drift

florida

To disable ads, please log-in.

Jimney cricket! I'm going to have to visit florida when i go home next...the plane ticket price....

(perth-singapore-vancouver-edmonton-calgary-new york(bro in ny state)-miami-arizona-van-....)

I like mice...can make a mickey out of them...!

c

bikerz

hmmm, never noticed that pattern.

I don't see why a short strong gal can't have a Seven, maybe start a trend

You've been to see Chris aintcha? It's that new bike smell.

I took some time off work this week, left work early yesterday, arriving late today just to de-stress a bit. Interviewed a dogwalker last night, she seems good. Anybody use a dog sitter? How do you and more important your dog like it?

Think I'll bike to work. I just got the umpteenth e-mail petition from a friend retired to Florida and it's always something to not buy gas on this day or that, or not buy gas from this co or that so I sent her a patiently worded response celebrate national bike to work week by:

trying a bike ride and or....

not hitting us, learn to see bikes ;-) see what happens.
    Last edited by Trek420; 04-26-2006 at 07:50 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    I love mountain biking!

(just had a really nice ride on the singletrack here in my neighborhood)

Z, I think tall people have Sevens because perhaps it's harder for them to find a stock bike that fits. On the group ride I did last weekend, there was a REALLY tall (as in close to 7') guy there with a Seven. He said it was really his only choice as his arms were much shorter in proportion to the rest of him (his legs are very long). The head tube on that bike was the longest I've ever seen. He said when he was ordering it Seven made the bike shop remeasure because they didn't believe it. The 700 wheels look tiny on his bike.

Get a Seven if you want. I want one too. Wonder if we could get a TE volume discount??

When I first started riding, I didn't really "get" how people could be so enamored of specific bikes - I just thought - oh, look - a bike - it's blue or it's red. Then I saw a Seven on a ride in Marin and it really caught my eye (super tall guy riding it...) Since then, I always notice them. My LBS is a Seven reseller, and he gave me the catalog, and I look at it sometimes, and sigh... But I think I need to ride a couple more metrics and at least a full century (this summer or fall?) or two before I get another bike so I really understand how I ride. (oh yeah - and budget for it!)

I like the idea of a TE volume discount!

So Nanci - what's going on with the birds? I can't seem to get any video. It's too busy.

I have a good "stupid injury of the week" - smashed my back into the bottom rail of my daughter's top bunk after getting up from the bottom bunk after reading her bedtime story. Right across the spine - middle of my back. Big bruise, nice cut (size of nickel at least) and sore muscles. Ouch - I'm out of commission for today at least.

It's funny that, eh? There are plenty of bikes I'll look at and go "Ooo... Nice." Then every so often I'll see something that just makes me go "I WANNA RIDE IT!!!!!"
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Sorry to hear about your "stupid" injury. Bunkbeds are dangerous for all sorts of reasons, I guess!
    "It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness."

My daughter (age 4) only sleeps in the top bunk. She used to nap (no long naps) on the bottom only. Wierd. I'd like to take it and throw it out the window at the moment (the bed, not my daughter). I'm walking around like a slug. I'm usually a bit more like a hummingbird - or so Mr. Fish says. I have issues with sitting still

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    It's funny that, eh? There are plenty of bikes I'll look at and go "Ooo... Nice." Then every so often I'll see something that just makes me go "I WANNA RIDE IT!!!!!"
    Me, two!!

I think if you start to look around at all custom bikes you'll see that a lot of tall people have them as well as the other extreme. Around here, you see a lot of short women on Steve Rex, a local Sacramento builder (think Steph or Terri, yellow, one of 'em has one). Also, people who don't fit production bikes for many reasons - torso to leg length ratio is far off average, back, neck or hip issues, etc. etc. My friend, Candy, is a novice rider and we took her in for a fitting. The production frames just weren't right and she's about 5'7", a very avg height. Joe fitted her up with an all steel Seven with 105 components for not a huge amount of money and she just rode her PB this weekend, 40 miles at the Bike Around the Buttes, and I think she's been very comfy from day 1. The issues she relates have more to do with not riding much than the bike.

I think those people at either end of the height spectrum will be driven to a custom bike sooner than the rest of us but those of us in the middle could be well-served by custom fit and the custom tubesets.

Bubba could fit a production bike, but has been lusting after a Seven for years and years. The ride characteristics of the steel and carbon combo were intriguing and he wanted the front end higher than many production bikes now have without the compact geometry. Old school purists tend to prefer a horizontal top tube from an aesthetic point of view (not anything about the functionality). What many people also don't realize is that Seven keeps many, many different tubing sets in stock so they can tune the ride, so to speak, as you wish. You want incredibly stiff and to heck with comfort? You got it. You want stiff enough for efficiency but compliant for a day in the saddle? You got it. You're a little rider? Lightweighter tubes than those used for Bubba's frame. So many reasons to go custom.

BikerZ, if you are serious about wanting a Seven sometime in the next year or so, you should come up for a ride and spend some time at Wheelworks. You may even want to set an appt with Joe for a full fitting. A bike like this can take a lot of planning and fitting. Maybe the cost of a fitting will be credited back. I don't know. Do shops do that? I'll go with you and provide the peppermint mocha delivery service.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    I'm back from my ride!! And I see you've left out my favorite topic, next to my pets- wine! I packed a bottle of low-alcohol Moscato d'Asti to enjoy while camping out pre-ride Friday night, but forgot my wine glass! The only possible solution was either my Polar bottle (would be like drinking wine out of a baby bottle!) or Dillbird's water-carrying bottle for in the car, which is a urine specimen cup...Which is what I chose! The wine was strangely urine colored, but luckily my new friends at the campsite didn't seem to be disgusted by it...

Nanci

OMG I love that wine - it has the bottle with the little bug drinking out of a straw. That is a happy wine. I shall have to have some.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

They're all happy wines until you wake up dehydrated.

SadieKate "A bike like this can take a lot of planning and fitting. Maybe the cost of a fitting will be credited back. I don't know. Do shops do that? I'll go with you and provide the peppermint mocha delivery service."

SK, I know that Chris and Tim at Robinson Wheelworks "throw in" the custom fit and more. They did that on my custom bike, and the "customised" i rode before. Plus 7 has their whole interview/fit process right? So all their bikes are full custom. Sabrinos coffee shop is next door to Chris but... I have never been provided peppermint mocha delivery service.

May have to complain to the LBS owner.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Sure, the fitting is thrown in if you're committing to buying a bike right there and then, but if you're just looking for consultation for the future with no commitment to buy from that shop, no, and I can't imagine asking a shop to do that.

Yes, Seven has their whole process but I can tell you from experience and from others' experience you need your LBS to do the fit. They can see you on a fit bike; Seven cannot.

Trek, I wasn't under the impression that your Mondonico frame was custom built. I thought that was a production frame with the parts custom spec'd. Or are you referring to a different bike?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

We've got a whole thread to talk about anything and everything in, and what do we end up gabbing about? Bikes!

stop this right now

SK, I got to meet with "Chairman Bill", Antonio Mondonico, and Antonio's son, had him measure me, he reccomended the parts and stuff...it was so much fun. He's retired now but I think his son will still travel to the US every other year or so and if you happen to be around, and want a Mondonico or Torelli can get it cutom measured.

Otherwise it's off the rack or go to Italy ... which would not be a bad idea, going to Italy that is.

Stop talking about bikes here!!!
    Last edited by Trek420; 04-26-2006 at 02:00 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton