Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1164 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 164664106411141154116011611162116311641165 LastLast
Results 17,446 to 17,460 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi shootingstar,

Yes some of the wildfire in BC are HUGE!!, smoke from one of those giant fire has blanketed our area about a month ago.

Good news is that they have finally lifted/rescinded the evacuation notice for my area. Those closer to the fire are still under the evacuation notice. Some have been out of the house for over a week now.

The bad news:

the 15yo who started the fire and laughing about starting it, is NOT going to be charged with arson or any crime. Instead, the authorities are blaming on the infrastructure... WHAT??? The boy was told not to throw firecrackers into a dry gully filled with dry leaf litter, laughed and kept on throwing fire crackers into it. And his friends, both boys and girls, all thought it was funny. They are not responsible!? At 15, you should know what is okay and not okay!! Infrastructure is to blame?? Maybe bad parenting, bad schooling??

Interstate 84, a major artery out of Portland, is indefinitely closed. Alternate route is a 2 lane road around and over Mount Hood.

There has been death threats made on the 15 yo.

Crazy insane world...

Wow, that is just crazy. I am glad your evacuation notice has been rescinded, smilingcat; but that is simply amazing about the 15-year old. We've been so focused on hurricanes in this half of the country, I hadn't even heard that.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

And now José is headed our way. It's not going to be much, NW of Boston, probably a rainy day and some wind, but on the Cape, there's going to be tropical storm force winds. A close friend of mine recently moved to her house down there, full time. We are going down for the weekend, on Friday, 2 days after the storm moves through. Hopefully, there won't be much damage. She's right in the center of the area that will get it the worst.
    People do act weird in disasters. It's an acute trauma reaction. All I know, is that I would have been out the minute the word evacuation was mentioned. Perhaps I am a wuss, but I'd rather have my life than my stuff.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

OMG OMG OMG I just got a ticket to see the Foo Fighters in DC!!!!! They are playing opening night at a new 6000-seat venue. Tickets went on sale back in June and sold out literally in 5 seconds so I didn't get one. But a few minutes ago I was checking the twitter and BOOM! a few more tickets were just released for sale and BOOM!! I got one!!! Yay!!!

Best thing to happen to me in a while -- finally some good luck! I was already able to get a ticket to see them in Richmond which is two days after this DC show -- so that's two concerts in one week!!

Both shows require some logistical planning -- the DC show is on a weeknight and the ticket is general admission so I'll have to take a couple of hours off in the afternoon. The Richmond show is on a Saturday but I've never actually been to Richmond before. I know the drive is not too bad except there is always traffic, so I'm planning to go way early and find a place to hang out for a few hours. At least for that show it's a reserved seat.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    OMG OMG OMG I just got a ticket to see the Foo Fighters in DC!!!!!
    Enjoy the concert!!!!!!!!

I was 13 when this album came out…. Good memory of listening to Everlong on headphones and thinking about the crush I had on Erin and our harmonizing perfectly together

https://youtu.be/crOZk88eCcg
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

When you're just trying to be helpful while a co-worker is out sick, and then the co-worker comes back and dumps the work on you "because you've already started it" even though you tell them that you've done all you can and have reached a dead-end. Not seeing much incentive to try to help next time...

(re: my post from October, I thought I'd responded to Rebecca after the Foos concert -- what a great concert. They ended with Everlong. I have tickets to three more shows in July, in Philadelphia and NY.)

Gone but not forgotten:

As of March 1st I'm now retired!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Congrats, Trek!!! I know how much you have been looking forward to this.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

That's wonderful, Trek! I hope you enjoy retirement as much as I have so far -- I left the workplace in 2011 and have not looked back. I know not working drives some folks to distraction, and back to work of some sort, but for me, the freedom to do whatever I want, when I want to, vastly outweighs the few times I might have felt a little bored or restless.
    Emily

Congrats Trek!! Enjoy!!

Gone but not forgotten:

Congrats! I retire on March 30. 17 more work days to go. Woo hoo!
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.

Woo hoo to Trek and to withm!No more fighting the rush hour traffic. Or having to show up when not feeling well. YES. Sometimes, I think work is way overrated.

Now enjoy life!!

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Woo hoo to Trek and to withm!No more fighting the rush hour traffic. Or having to show up when not feeling well. YES. Sometimes, I think work is way overrated.

Now enjoy life!!
    Rush hour was not bad as I retired from a job within 3 miles of home and on a bike trail! But show up when not feeling well? Yes.

I have sometimes thought if I'd kept my seniority when I started back with. this yiuge union company, I would have enough time off that taking mental health days, staying home when I feel bleh would not be a problem.

Also if I'd kept seniority I would have always had the shift I can bike commute with. But we have odd luck at chez trekknott and that's not what happened.

We JUST got sick leave in WA and before that the system is: if I am sick I call out sick and I'm paid. If I do that too often I'm fired. So when I had my seniority and 6 weeks vacation + 10 personal days off + holidays + as much unpaid time I can afford ... if I was sick I took vaycay.

Anyway I came here, lost all seniority, and at 5 years when I got it all back I decided to start to use up my vacation and then consider retirement that we'd planned.

I think it was only a couple days in when I knew "nah. I'm not coming back. This is it."

I am looking for a low key part time job but don't want full time ever if I can help it. I'm kinda burned out.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

OK, one of my former students is now teaching in my old position! There have been a few people on my team, teaching Language Arts in the past 10 years, but this just feels weird.
    She was a great student, so the kids are in good hands! But, this makes me feel very old.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    OK, one of my former students is now teaching in my old position! There have been a few people on my team, teaching Language Arts in the past 10 years, but this just feels weird.
    She was a great student, so the kids are in good hands! But, this makes me feel very old.
    I hear ya, Crankin. You know what makes me feel old these days? I turn on the TV and nearly all the news anchors are younger than me.

Sigh...I remember when everyone on TV (other than kids) were older than me, and now I notice how young everyone is. It's depressing!
    Emily