Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1160 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 160660106011101150115611571158115911601161116211631164 ... LastLast
Results 17,386 to 17,400 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    They may not be aware of that, Emily. Seriously, my gyn tried to charge me for my co-pay the first year the ACA went into effect. Some dumb (male) receptionist was arguing with me! So, I paid the 20.00 and then called later and spoke to the more senior person.
    It can also be a grandfathered policy. If I had done it in 2016, my IUD would have had a $200 copay plus the $55 copay for insertion. I've had to pay co-pays for birth control pills (still would). Still had to pay the copay for insertion. Still get charged copays for all preventative care visits. It's otherwise an extremely good plan - so I don't b*tch. Much.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I have never had to pay a co-pay for a physical since then.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Absolutely yes.

Don't know if this is for real, but I could definitely believe it.
    That may be a hoax, but the idea that people either did not understand that "Obamacare" and the Affordable Care Act were one in the same or simply did not believe that the program could be dismantled is totally real - here's an actual piece of journalism - http://www.vox.com/platform/amp/scie...bamacare-trump

I work in a hospital. I'm sure we will see the effects of this sooner than later. We are a non profit and no child (it is a children's hospital) is ever denied care on the basis that they cannot pay, but I would guess our uncompensated care fund will soon be once again tested it's limits... The expense of medical care is no joke. We've got one family that is not what you would think of as disadvantaged, but having a child with a complex medical condition, they hit the lifetime limit for their health insurance before he was two..
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    That may be a hoax, but the idea that people either did not understand that "Obamacare" and the Affordable Care Act were one in the same or simply did not believe that the program could be dismantled is totally real - here's an actual piece of journalism - http://www.vox.com/platform/amp/scie...bamacare-trump

I work in a hospital. I'm sure we will see the effects of this sooner than later. We are a non profit and no child (it is a children's hospital) is ever denied care on the basis that they cannot pay, but I would guess our uncompensated care fund will soon be once again tested it's limits... The expense of medical care is no joke. We've got one family that is not what you would think of as disadvantaged, but having a child with a complex medical condition, they hit the lifetime limit for their health insurance before he was two..
    I believe it. I'm a med student associated with a state hospital that serves all regardless of ability to pay. I have no idea what will happen, but I'm sure it won't be pretty. As I've said before, it's a terrifying time to be going into medicine. If things are as destabilized as some hospital groups are predicting, I worry about whether there will even be jobs - not something I was ever worried about. Scary on so many levels.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Emily, my insurance covers one non-3D mammogram per year. I already had that, and paid $50 extra for 3D. In the past when I declined the 3D mammogram they made me come back and get one because the regular one was not good enough. So now I pay the extra $50 (with clenched teeth) -- that's what I had the other day. But now they are saying I have to come back for another one and that will be treated as regular radiology, which under my plan (which has lots of "grandfathered" exceptions to ACA requirements) means a $200 copay. I got more information yesterday when I called to reschedule the appointment into the next credit card cycle -- they said something is different from prior images which is why they want to do another one.

Smilingcat, I share your anger. It galls me that the party claiming to represent Christian beliefs is really so greedy and uncaring. And so willing to look the other way with a president who has already violated the Constitution.

So yeah I'm going to the march tomorrow. Still not sure of my specific plans, but I think I will be walking there from a friend's house a few miles away. It will be a long day and I'm sure more than once I will have to find a spot on the sidewalk to sit down and rest my feet and back. But I think a big turnout is important. And I am optimistic that we will have it -- I've lived here for 19 years and I've never seen an event that so many people I know are going to.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thank you, NY, for explaining about the radiology -- I do know that anything outside a very specific list of procedures and checks is not covered by the ACA preventive regulations, and since you're having to have a second one, that's how they get around it. Sigh. Seems like they'll do anything to avoid actually helping people.

We were pleasantly surprised when DH's recent colonoscopy was covered in full. Yes, they are supposed to be covered as they are preventive, in general, but since DH has had pre-cancerous polyps removed during colonoscopy procedures before, he's on the 5-6 year return cycle rather than 10 years, and last time, we had to fight tooth and nail to have it covered. This was through my employer insurance and prior to the ACA. The insurance goons insisted that it was not preventive since it hadn't been 10 years since his last one, but we argued that indeed it was, because the whole reason his GI doc wanted him to have one on a shorter cycle was to prevent colon cancer. After two appeals, they finally paid.

This time, with the ACA, they just paid (different insurance company, tho). No questions asked.

And people wonder why I love my Obamacare!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Unless physician sees something abnormal, one gets a colonoscopy in the province where I live..every 10 yrs. I had mine about 55 yrs. on the doctor's referral. The only thing I had to pay, was the awful liquid laxative to drink to "prep' myself.

Otherwise no other out of pocket expenses not required.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

They want me back in 5 years for another colonoscopy, due to polyps IIRC. I hadn't thought about whether insurance will cover it. But who knows what my insurance will be by then. The company I work for was sold --again-- it happens every 2-3 years. At a recent meeting our new CEO said that taking care of employees' health is a worthwhile but unquantifiable benefit. It will be interesting to see if that translates to better insurance coverage next year.. assuming the client for my project doesn't decide to lay me off...

Anyway it's time for bed. I've got some woman marching to do tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Gone but not forgotten:

Ny- wishing you that the diagnosis is resolvable with the outcome.

On a different topic, perhaps can someone explain to me, a CAnadian: why does the U.S. health care system is such that desperate women must rely on Planned Parenthood for certain things? Does it offer screening for stuff beyond birth control? Very different. To my understanding up in Canada it really is reproductive education, birth control, etc. I was listening to a speech during the U.S. Womens' March, to an activist from Planned Parenthood.

Admittedly in listening to the Washington DC speeches, made it me reflect one's own life trajectory, loved ones and family history which has been affected by very large political events and social revolution.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-21-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

How was the march NY?

There was a local march in my city...4,000 people. I didn't go..I got my haircut which probably sounds very diffident. I have no other explanation except after having done several yrs. volunteer work in immigrant services, race relations plus help organize rides, workshops for women in a city where I used to live... making change can be challenging. It's even harder to do solo when one walks into a rm. of people and no one looks like self. So protest marches are important to make up for times where such work feels lonely/hard and also to inform/inspire others unfamiliar.

My heart is grateful that 1 million people marched worldwide yesterday and there was no violence reported. That is a fantastic sign of power...across language, culture, etc. An enormous signal that women can lead in a way /style that doesn't need to physically hurt anyone.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-22-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Alternative facts

seriously... don't like reality - make it up as you go along, if you believe hard enough it will be true! It's like something out a comedy routine....
    here's my comment

Last edited by Eden; 01-22-2017 at 09:54 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I've got some woman marching to do tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Knott and I marched in Seattle. It was amazing. I was talking to a lady about my age and saying my memory of the Moratorium, the huge national marches against the war in Vietnam (yep, I'm old) it was about this intense and huge. And I've done a lot of marches in my day. Pride day in SF is statistically larger, usually half a million. But that includes the audience, those on the side. We were 120,000 marching. Many others went to sister marches in smaller towns to avoid the crowd, have a more low key day. So all told I think we figured about 1/4 of the city.

The most fun was on the bus on the way in. Each stop had more families, most with small kids, some all decked out in hats with their tiny signs. The bus would cheer as they got on. As we got to the last stop the driver announced "There are 12 people here. We're almost full. We can get them on but you'll all have to squeeze together and move back if you can. This is up to you. I can leave them here for the next bus, or we can get them on". So we all made a little more room and they boarded.

As the doors closed the driver announced "You did it. We're all full and the next stop is downtown" and the whole bus cheered. Lots of pink on board.

SPD bike cops began the march as they slowly rode up the street to make sure it's clear of traffic. Everybody cheered and thanked them. The first nations people led the march, that was very moving. And then just a sea of people and witty, correctly spelled signs. My favorite was simply "remember this tomorrow". That and perhaps the golden retriever wearing a "Nasty b*tch" t-shirt

Let's hope this translates to a movement. I've started attending meetings of my local Dems group. Nice group of smart, geeky, techy people. A friend decided to start a regional chapter of NOW. She needed 3 people to be a chapter, we have 4 now. Whee!
    Last edited by Trek420; 01-26-2017 at 07:15 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Do I need to send another gift? A cousin's daughter recently had a baby. I don't see this part of the family often, once every few years at most. I think the last time I saw her was at her wedding. I was invited to the baby shower, couldn't attend, but sent a gift. So now that the baby is born (a girl, very cute and everyone is healthy) can I just send a card?

I was also thinking of sending a card to the new grandparents (my cousin and his wife). But, my cousin's wife's mother (grandmother to the new mom) died about a week before the baby was born. So maybe I should get generic cards (blank inside) and write a note. Though I'm not sure how to word "sorry about your mom/grandmother but congrats on the new baby."

Anyone have any suggestions?

Gone but not forgotten:

You need to give only from your heart. If you are already quite distant with this relative and no contact normally except maybe once a yr. or so, then a card. You gave a baby shower gift. Personally, I've never given a baby gift on top of a shower gift for same baby.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    You need to give only from your heart. If you are already quite distant with this relative and no contact normally except maybe once a yr. or so, then a card. You gave a baby shower gift. Personally, I've never given a baby gift on top of a shower gift for same baby.
    I agree. The only exception I would make is for a close friend or close family member OR if you are going to visit the new mom with baby. I wouldn't want to show up empty-handed then. In all other cases, I think a card will be fine. Chances are, since she had a shower, she's already gotten most of what she needs anyway.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow