Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1140 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 1406401040109011301136113711381139114011411142114311441150 ... LastLast
Results 17,086 to 17,100 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

So sorry NY, that really sucks. Perhaps they don't realize? Are they reasonable people that you can speak with?

My current apt is an old building with mature trees. I get beetles, spiders, sometimes earwigs or centipedes, especially in spring and fall. If I see more than 1 in a week or two then I have them spray. They only spray on request, BUT they are here every Monday so it just takes a phone call to get them here.

So excited, we are planning a trip home to Illinois in late July!! Going to see friends, eat great food, see my doc, relax... and look at a condo we might buy!!

Electra Townie 7D

NY...If you haven’t talked to them they may be totally unaware of the problem. If you haven't perhaps initiating a casual and calm conversation about the buildings transfer of noise/vibrations and your chandelier rattling could help in finding a solution...at least making them aware of where your chandelier is under their floor. If it doesn't i'd replace the chandelier with something that doesn't rattle....old buildings or any ones without good unit isolation can cause lots of neighbor problems...good luck in finding a positive solution....
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Yup, some people just are "heel strikers" and have naturally noisy footsteps. This was brought forcibly to my attention when our son had his girlfriend over to visit. She is tall and strong, and has the loudest walk of anyone I've ever heard! Even our son who is your averagely noisy, clueless young man and slams doors with abandon, had to admit that wow, she made an impressive amount of noise coming down the stairs :-D
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

We nicknamed our old upstairs neighbor "Mr. Stompy Pants". He was a tiny Asian man who honestly sounded as though he was throwing bowling balls around his place, and coming down the stairs sounded like he rolled a couple of them ahead of himself. We got irritated for a while then just made peace with it, and would crack up when we heard him, it was so hard to figure out how that tiny little man could make so much noise.

Electra Townie 7D

Unfortunately I do not know how to make peace with such an intrusion on the limited quiet time I have in my life.

I see no point in talking to the new neighbor. This is in the residents' handbook that he received when he bought the condo:

"The association recommends that 80 percent of upper story apartment units' floor space be covered with carpet or rugs to reduce noise for the residents below. Please be considerate of your neighbors."

So he's either read this and thinks he's too good for it or he hasn't bothered to read the handbook in the first place. Either one tells me that he doesn't give a crap about his neighbors.

Recently the condo board president emailed me to ask me to chair a committee. I told her I didn't have time and that I was actually spending as little time as possible in my home due to the noise from the new neighbor. She didn't respond because she knows there is nothing I can do. They won't make a clear rule requiring 80% carpeting because it would require a change to the bylaws which they are not willing to do. They don't seem to care about what it does to the property value of condos like mine -- no sane person would ever buy my apartment if I tried to sell it. I wouldn't be able to rent it, either. All because of a stupid decorating trend.

So when he's up there stomping around I turn up the volume on my TV as loud as it will go to drown out the noise. It hurts my ears to have the TV that loud but at least it keeps my blood pressure down.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

NY, that stinks.

Maybe a good pair of noise cancelling headphones for while you're awake, and earplugs to sleep? Not ideal for sure, but it might help you get some peace.

I wouldn't rule out approaching the neighbor, though. Rules on paper have a whole different emotional vibe than being alerted to the fact that he's disturbing another human being that he can see and talk to.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I wouldn't rule out approaching the neighbor, though. Rules on paper have a whole different emotional vibe than being alerted to the fact that he's disturbing another human being that he can see and talk to.
    This is true. When we lived in a carpeted apartment on the third floor, we were mortified when our downstairs neighbor came and knocked on our door one night to tell us that we were being too loud. We were rolling our (small) dog's ball down the hall for her to retrieve, and I guess her running back and forth was amplified, even through carpet and padding, to sound like a thundering herd of elephants down below.

We had NO idea and felt bad! We never played with her in the apartment again.

Now, your upstairs neighbor may well be an AZZhole who could care less, AND I don't know if I'd ever have the guts to confront him, but it if you do, it might turn out that he is more amenable than you think. He may well have no idea, as we didn't, that his footsteps are causing such a cacophany below.

I hate apartments and condos for this reason. We have lived on the bottom floor and the top floor, and neither are ideal. On the bottom, we were constantly bombarded by noise from above, and on the top, we had to worry and be paranoid about making too much noise just living our lives. Never again.

Good luck NY -- I really do feel for you!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I would at least talk to the neighbour upstairs, NYbiker. And he's a new neighbour. He may not know.

I've lived in my present condo over the past 5 yrs.: only...5 times, seems to work out, once per year. I've asked the residents upstairs to turn down their music -which only occurred in evening. It stopped in 15 min. Yes, I saw a party going on... I was polite in my request.

In Vancouver for 8 yrs., we occasionally heard some rolling noise...it might have been dog and toy. Meaning several times per year.

In Toronto, in a condo for 14 yrs., I did have a problem with someone that had their treadmill upstairs over my bedroom. It started only in the final yr. when I had my place before I moved to Vancouver.

I am fortunate to live in a building configuration where there are only 3 units per floor. So I'm never bothered by any noise (and rarely hear noise) from neighbours on my floor.

Some jurisdictions allows wood frame in the condo highrise structure..that makes a huge difference vs. buildings that are more concrete based which latter will deaden abit more floor noise.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-11-2016 at 04:24 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Pulse - Orlando. I am utterly heartbroken. You'd think, after being out for almost 40 years, I'd be used to being hated, be used to having people wish harm on me and mine. But it never gets easier.

Electra Townie 7D

I'm just about speechless regarding this terrible event, so heartbreaking that I can't even watch the news any more on this right now. So...terrible.

I get that there are those who will never agree with us - and that unfortunate young man who entered the club last night wasn't the only one in this country with that level of hatred of us. This graphic says it all...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orlando.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	18054

What it is unpleasant (to me), are media reports and some people saying it is an act of terrorism. It is not religious based. It's just simply hatred and homophobic. The father of the shooter emphasized this and knew how mentally unstable his son was. It is that simple. And people worldwide really need to focus on this. The act has nothing to do with terrorism. (which I associate with political motivations. It's disappointing how the word "terrorism" has become twisted in its use.)
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

2 days, a friend and I chatted up with a Canadian light-skinned black guy at a sushi place, who had just returned from Los Angeles living there for past 18 yrs. He was university educated, involved in screenwriting, directing and teaching writing at a college.

He was so thankful to return to Canada: he hated the easy access to guns because of U.S.' gun laws compared to Canada. (This wasn't the only reason why he was glad to return to Canada.)
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-12-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Devastating. That's all I can say.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

It's what I woke up to this morning, and then the next time I logged into my computer the headlines had the two other smaller mass attacks that happened today.

I don't know how I can live in a world with so much hate.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler