Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1126 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 1266261026107611161122112311241125112611271128112911301136 ... LastLast
Results 16,876 to 16,890 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Hoping all our PNW TE'rs are okay this morning...
    ??

Local news website here is all about LIVE VIDEO: Ron and Nancy Reagan together again. (Unclear how this is possible on live video -- zombie invasion??) Anyway no mention of anything going on in the PNW. I hope there's nothing serious.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

No shortage of bad news lately.
    So, our new living room furniture for the condo arrived today. We ordered it in October and they've been holding it for us since January. I seriously forgot what the stuff looked like. It's beautiful! However, seeing it here has led me to change which pieces I will use in the eating area. My dining room table and one of the hutches will look much better with this new stuff. My kitchen table and hutch will go in the basement until I get my dream of a second little get away in the Berkshires.
    I brought my bikes here today, and took a little 7.5 mile ride. I know my way around, but no idea of the mileage for short rides. It was shorter than I thought, but lots of good ideas for rides. The Silque is coming back to the house until we move on Wednesday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Hoping all our PNW TE'rs are okay this morning...
    What's going on in the PNW? Growing moss on the north side, but that's nothing new...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Glad things are okay, Laura.

Crankin, it sounds like things are coming together nicely. And lots of ideas for rides sounds good!

Gone but not forgotten:

Glad things are okay! I just saw the weather report and the last time we had winds HALF that speed, it shut three states down for a week and a half. I guess things are built differently out there ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oh, the WIND! That was pretty intense, and power is out in a few places, but didn't seem like anything we haven't seen before. I'm sure i'd be singing a different tune if MY power was out, though.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Sometimes, I really hate the fact we are so dependent on technology. We still have a land line, well a VOIP line. We had been using some weird Internet phone service, but we set up the new place with Comcast for everything. Today, the old service stopped at the house, but nothing is working at the condo. When DH was on the phone with the Comcast guy, trying to figure this out, the guy is calling our home number and it is ringing on DH's cell phone... WTF? In addition, we returned a modem today, which promptly shut down the wifi at the house, when it was not supposed to. We have another modem there. And the best thing is, every time I go to log into TE, on my phone, I get a thing to start X finity wifi . I can reboot my browser, but really? The wifi at the house was fixed, but they have no idea why our phone has been forwarded to DH's cell. We didn't do it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

the plane the plane... or wrong THE WIND!! THE WIND! I just seem to have a knack for finding places to live with high wind.

In California, it was the Santa Ana. dry hot air. It blew the termites from the Inland Empire (San Bernadino) to the coast. It was strong. BUT now where I live at the start of the Columbia River Gorge, my bedroom shakes on regular basis. houses around here routinely loses the roof! When our Pyrenees mix was an old guy he went outside to pee, lifted one of his hind leg and the wind blew him over. He got up and looked behind him to see who had pushed him over. When he couldn't see, he turned his head the other way and looked. The look he gave us was precious. Needless to say we were dying laughing.

Today's gust is pretty mild at only 30+MPH. Oh, a giant cedar came down and crushed an SUV. The driver of the car behind the SUV said, it just fell out of the sky. SUV driver died instantly.

Yikes. I've been in hurricanes, but never seen anything that dramatic.
    OK, came home last night and our Wifi wasn't working again. But, DH was on the phone with them at 4 AM and it is fixed.
    We have figured out the problem with our home phone, kind of. It's the old phone provider... they did someting funky, so even though the phones do not work at the house, they somehow have forwarded the calls to DH's cell. When you call our number, you still get our VM message. They work on Pacific time, so we need to wait until 11 AM to talk to them.
    Well, now that my Wifi is working, i have no excuse not to do my work, which I need to be logged in to do. I can't do any more unpacking at the condo until our furniture arrives and I go to the Container Store tonight, to buy some storage solutions for under the bathroom sinks. My biggest first world problem is that we need to buy some kind of cabinet for our sports/cycling clothing that we previously had in 2 sets of plastic drawers in closets. Although we have a pretty big walk in closet that we had shelves built for in the condo, there is not room for that. We know where we want to put this up in the loft where our desks will be, but we really have to wait to see what kind of room we have in room after our furniture arrives.
    However, this is not a minor issue to me, since I am often going into the plastic set of drawers twice a day...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, I hear you. It feels as though (for many of us) it's something we must have, but we have no control over. We can't create it, manipulate it, access it consistently, repair it, or control its functionality; we are at the mercy of the companies that provide it.

Electra Townie 7D

Good way of describing how I felt yesterday. Well, I texted anyone who might call my land line and said just use the cell # until you hear otherwise... in fact, that was the first hint something was wrong with the Wifi. I was sending the texts through my computer and they all were not sent. Then, I had to go and re-send from my phone, using the 4G.
    OK, enough of my complaining. We've made very good progress with the moving stuff, really DH just waiting for our painter to finish the bathrooms. Remember the painter on Murphy Brown? Kind of like that... he is meticulous, but slow and must be doing school drop off and pick up, because he comes at 9 and leaves by 3:30 at the latest. My older son worked for him, during 2 summers in college. I remember my son telling me how he was a drop put from the corporate world, and I can see why he hated it!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I haven't done a charity ride in a while and I was thinking it might be time to do a Tour de Cure this year, since my friend was just one of many people I know who have diabetes.
    What a great way to honor your friend. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks Aromig. After looking into the dates, routes and expected average speeds -- there are four different Tours de Cure accessible from the DC metro area, five if you count Richmond -- I think I might end up volunteering for one of them instead of riding in it. I think I could help with SAG, or maybe as a ride marshall. Still thinking about it.

I've learned some additional information about what happened to my friend. As mentioned, she had diabetes, and almost two years ago she became very ill from complications (ketoacidosis) caused by a UTI. One day she had been texting back and forth with her sister (who lives in another state) about an upcoming trip. When she stopped answering texts, her sister became worried and called our local police department and asked them to do a welfare check (my friend lived alone). They found my friend unconscious and brought her to the hospital. Things looked very bad for a day or so but she slowly recovered -- very slowly, as it took a while to kill the infection and she was left very weak from the ordeal. But recently it had seemed that she was more or less fully recovered and she never mentioned any lingering problems.

Since then my friend's sister obtained the name and phone number of the man who lived next door to my friend (he also had a spare key for emergencies). The night before she died, friend's sister called the neighbor to ask her to check on friend, because she was acting strangely. The neighbor checked and agreed that friend seemed mentally fuzzy, so he called an ambulance and she was taken to the hospital. She died there the next morning. So it sounds like she had another diabetes-related problem, and unfortunately this time it was just too much for her to survive.

I am glad that she wasn't alone when it happened.

I know a fair number of people with diabetes. Most seem to have it under control but I guess things can go from controlled to not pretty quickly.

Gone but not forgotten:

It is such a horrible disease. A young man I went to grad school with, went home during winter break of the first year and found out he had Type 1. He wasn't even 30. He came back a year later and is doing well, but what an ordeal. He thought he was just exhausted from all of the school work.
    Well, all of the tech problems were solved, although up to yesterday early evening, it looked like we might have to change our phone #. But, amazingly, the former phone provider gave up all of their "rights."
    Second to last night in the house. Almost everything we are moving ourselves is there. A lot is unpacked, but some stuff, I have to wait until a couple of pieces of furniture comeon the moving truck to put stuff away. DH spent about 5 hours putting together a piece we bought at Ikea yesterday... he just needs to put the vanity cabinets up tomorrow night.
    It's not like we can't come back to get stuff, as DH has a little work to do before the house goes back on the market. But, I am tired of all the going back and forth.

Looks like we might be using the MA Health Care Connector for a couple of months... aka the Affordable Care Act. I found out I can't get benefits at my work because I don't have enough billable hours. This will be DH's thing to solve with his company, before he leaves.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Good luck with finishing up the move and getting your house back on the market, Crankin. I hope it will sell lickety-split this time! It's an unsettled feeling to be waiting on that. Enjoy getting settled into your new space. I am sure it's nice!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow