Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1161 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 161661106111111151115711581159116011611162116311641165 LastLast
Results 17,401 to 17,415 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, getting political. My new favorite npr program is A1. If you can catch the recording of today's show (5/12/17) Wow, just Wow. Although I do want a t-shirt that says something like Hello it's Country! not your Fing party that is important.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Okay, getting political. My new favorite npr program is A1. If you can catch the recording of today's show (5/12/17) Wow, just Wow. Although I do want a t-shirt that says something like Hello it's Country! not your Fing party that is important.
    I just tried searching for this. I found a podcast, and a "Friday News Roundup". Is that what I'm looking for? I have a road trip coming up and always looking for things to listen to.

OMG. I can't believe this thread is still going! Hahahah! I've been not really using my computer at all these days. And I've been trying to figure out if I can post here from my phone. If anyone knows how I can do that, it would be very helpful. I miss you ladies!
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Hi! There's still a few of us here. I can read and post from my phone, though it's a bit of a challenge on a small screen. I just open the browser, to go the forum website and log in. It works pretty much the same as on a pc. I think others install the Tapatalk app and access the forum through that.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Ouch.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Ouch, the dentist is my least favorite way to spend time, ever.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Thanks! Feel much better today.
    Oh good! I so hate the dentist! Facing orthodontia and who knows what else at the dental torture chamber soon, so I totally feel your pain. I wish they could just knock me out every time I go in. That may be the best thing about my recent oral surgery. IV sedation. <3
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Glad you're feeling better, Sheila. I've got some dental work on the horizon -- I have a cracked tooth that hurts when I bite something the wrong way. I'm putting off dealing with it as long as possible, though. My dentist is also in no hurry to do anything about it as long as it doesn't hurt too much or too often, since putting in a crown may ultimately cause a need for a root canal.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Okay. I'm quite inured to high-priced bikes and components, accessories, gear, whatever. But I just hit my limit.

$6499.00 for, wait for it, a Single Speed Raleigh bike. It's steel, mostly American parts, handbuilt by a famous builder (whom I don't know) and a replica of the Cheetah used in the Olympics from the 1980's. It's nice. But $6.5K nice?

Cheetah? Or Cheater? Wow.

https://www.raleighusa.com/cheetah-replica#
    The link is broken. $6k for a fixie? I'm not one to talk with our bikes though

Found it here http://www.pedalconsumption.com/2017...ah-track-bike/
    Last edited by Trek420; 08-05-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Too bad about the sale to wallys. Maybe, they, Rapha, needed cash infusion.

Yeah, they need a cash infusion, because their stuff is so expensive, no one is buying it. I am not cheap, but I won't spend that amount of money.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

According to an article in the ny times about the sale, Rapha has grown 25-30% annually for the last 11 years. The sale was about changing private equity firms from one with short-term gain ambitions to one that had good bicycle karma (Tom and Steuart Walton) and who are investing for a long-term future, like they have before in the bicycle community.

They do make some nice clothing but are more style-conscious than I need. eta...I doubt you'll see their clothing in walmart
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 08-11-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Just to show how out of the consumerist culture I am these days, I've never even heard of Rapha! I could google it, but why?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I've heard that Rapha's stuff is actually nice, good quality. But too rich for my blood.

So, bad day today. I've been expecting layoffs at work. Many of us have been expecting it. Our client's new fiscal year starts soon. The software application we work on is very mature and in need of rewriting, but they haven't decided yet what direction they will go in, or maybe they have decided but are just moving very slowly. We've been in austerity/maintenance mode for a while now, and had a 20% staff cut a year ago. So, today more people were laid off. I've been here for almost 17 years, and some of the people I said goodbye to today have been here for 13, 15, 17 years. I was too busy this afternoon to really think much about it, other than to say goodbye and make sure I had their contact info. Now as I sit here, I feel sick.

Rumor is that we will be forced to take vacation/leave without pay in the next month or so because the funding does not exist to cover the rest of us in the short term. If true, for me this could mean having little or no time to spend with my parents at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I should know more early next week.

So on the one hand I'm glad I still have an income and health insurance, but uncertainty remains, as my programming skills are not up to date and there is no chance of getting good experience with more marketable skills as long as I work here. And I am sad.

Gone but not forgotten:

So sorry to hear that NY! I hate how we can be so easily discarded.

Electra Townie 7D