Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117571075071007 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread Drift

Wink You wanna know why this thread is in the tri forum? I'll tell you!

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's all part of the Tri Girls evil plan to make us Mere Mortals spend more time in here so that we catch some of their infectious enthusiasm. They want us sitting in front of our computers thinking:

Hmmm... I could swim 1500m... I'm sure I could do it without a rest in the middle if I trained for it rather than just going down to the pool from time to time... I could probably even do it in a decent time if I had some coaching to work on my form... I know I could ride 40km, 'specially if I had a shiny, svelte little road bike (preferably in go-faster red or stealthy black)... I hate running quite passionately, but I suppose I could learn to run 10km if I worked really hard...

The Tri Girls seed of insanity (the good kind) is resolutely planted, and eventually, said Mere Mortal takes herself off for a 20/25-odd minute run around the docks (or other handy course of three-and-a-bit kilometres/just over two miles). Mere Mortal is astonished to find that she could not only run the whole way, but could probably have run further. Even more gob-smacking is the fact that, whilst not fun per se, Mere Mortal found the experience to be somewhat enjoyable - albeit in a masochistic way - and something she is not uninterested in repeating.

SAVE ME!!!
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 04-27-2006 at 08:16 AM.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

All numbers are 510 area code unless otherwise marked:

V, from my safety commitee to yours, maybe they will let you go home now?

all these numbers are in the 510 area code unless otherwise noted. Please double check for accuracy, number can change ya' know.

East Bay Area region general information:
    News stations both radio and TV
    Caltrans 800-427-7623 or 286-4444
    CHP 800-427-7623 or 450-3821
    AC Transit 891-4700 or 891-4777
    Sheriff's Office 667-7721

Oakland general information:
    Fire Dept. 444-1616
    Fire Prevention 238-3851
    Police Dept. 238-3455 Community Resource ofcr 238-3066
    Public Works 615-5577 or 615-5566

Other communities for road conditions getting home:
    Police Departments
    Alameda 337-8340
    Albany 525-7300
    Berkeley 981-5900
    El Cerrito 237-3233
    Emeryville 596-3700
    Fremont 790-6800
    Hayward 293-7000
    Newark 793-1400
    Piedmont 420-3000
    San Leandro 577-3201
    Union City 471-1365
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I feel so deficient. I have neither a crow bar now a hachet. I do have a hard hat. Sometimes I wear it when I am feeling a little vulnerable.

Thanks for the great info and resources, Trek. Being in the Oakland area (where my office is when I care enough to show up - which isn't all that often just now....), I will note those #s down.

World's loudest subtenant is in the conference room next door to me. Grr. I am blasting Louis Armstrong and feeling much better.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    SAVE ME!!!
    Bwahahahahahaha! Our evil plan is revealed! Yet you are helpless to resist it! Resistance is futile! You will be asimilated! Bwahahahaha! We will all fly to NZ to cheer for you at IMNZ! Tri-kiwi!!!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

SAVE ME!!!
    Ok, just participate in a tri as the bike person. There, done. You are a tri-girl and no running or swimming involved.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    I feel so deficient. I have neither a crow bar now a hachet. I do have a hard hat. Sometimes I wear it when I am feeling a little vulnerable.
    You wanna know what they gave us at the hospital just in case January 1, 2000 really was the end of the world?

A flashlight. And a bell. Like at a store counter. ONE flashlight and ONE bell for the entire labor and delivery floor. I guess there could be one baby born at a time.

I don't have a hardhat. Or a crowbar. or...what was the other thing? A hatchet! Those sound like very useful items! I have a lot of "gestational wheels", with which I can tell you when your due date is, as the world is ending. Also, I have...well, a hammer. Some screwdrivers. Two gallons of water from 2001. I've lugged them from one apt to the next. Those gallons of water ARE my emergency supplies! I'll stay off the phone and quietly sip my water if the end comes anytime soon.

Up all night, going to bed now. Try to control yourselves. What am I saying?!? Go wild! More fun to read when I get up!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I have the best PLANNED earthquake kit in the world (insomnia is so useful for so many things!) but it has yet to magically materialize.

And where do I live? Smack on the Hayward fault (well, within about a half a mile...) And where do I work? Downtown SF...

And now I am realizing how I could have been productively using all those rainy weekend days - at REI, Target and Home Depot, putting my EQ kit together.

V and SK - When I was doing my postdoc in SC, my boss actually told me that for women in academia to get pregnant was a bad career move. Little did he know that I was pregnant at the time. 2 months later I left working in his lab and took a job as a gov't scientist.

Have any of you seen the aftermath of a microwave blowing up a frappacino? It's quite amazing!

And tlkiwi - I think their evil plan is working. I'm now shopping for running shoes!!! Noooooooo! Save me!
    Last edited by DrBee; 04-27-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishdr
    V and SK - When I was doing my postdoc in SC, my boss actually told me that for women in academia to get pregnant was a bad career move. Little did he know that I was pregnant at the time. 2 months later I left working in his lab and took a job as a gov't scientist.

Have any of you seen the aftermath of a microwave blowing up a frappacino? It's quite amazing!

And tlkiwi - I think their evil plan is working. I'm now shopping for running shoes!!! Noooooooo! Save me!

I had to find a job when I was pregnant. That was tough - and really gave me a lot of loyalty to the firm that hired me (5 months pregnant).

Have not seen miicro-frapuccino but our microwave died a few weeks ago and we've been without which is tough when you get dependent on it.

Ah - Fish!! Fish Dr.! I come home from spinning this morning and my daughter is in the kitchen crying her eyes out because one of her fish just died. So SAD!!! All she wanted for her b-day was a betta fish - so she ended up getting a 10 gal. tank and a betta, 3 tetras and a little catfish. The little catfish didn't make it. So DH put him(?) in the freezer and I guess we'll bury him. Sigh!
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Lise "I have a lot of "gestational wheels", with which I can tell you when your due date is, as the world is ending."

Well, here in earthquake land if we're all stuck at home for who knows how long those gestational wheels could come in handy to predict the baby boom.

Or play parlour games while waiting for FEMA of figuring out "ok, my birthday's March 27th, when was I concieved?"

Oh, that's just ewww.

I have in the storage shed: much water, rotated every 6 months, at least I try to do that, uhm, canned foods, but the can opener would probably be indoors underneath in the collapsed condo..gotta whistle, tarps, whoafully inadequate first aid kit...lost the hand cranked coffee grinder in the "divorce", dayuhm Gotta get another one of those.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I know what you mean about loyalty. My boss was so wonderful when I had to tell him I was pregnant (3 months) on my 2nd day of work. He's since left here and I'm thinking about relocating to Maine to work with him again (same agency, just different location). Let's see - MS vs Maine...

Poor fish, poor daughter, and poor you. Usually most kinds of catfish are pretty durable. Give your daughter a hug for me. That's so sad.

The microwave door blew open and this powdered frappacino (never heard of it before that) was plastered on the walls, ceiling, and floor in about a 6-8ft radius. Later in the day, after being cleaned by the poor college student who was making the drink, it started smoking. Very very bad smell - permeated the entire building. Ick. Now we are microwaveless. I like to bring leftovers. Today I had a sandwich and yogurt. Not bad, but I could've had pineapple chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by fishdr
    I know what you mean about loyalty. My boss was so wonderful when I had to tell him I was pregnant (3 months) on my 2nd day of work. He's since left here and I'm thinking about relocating to Maine to work with him again (same agency, just different location). Let's see - MS vs Maine...

Poor fish, poor daughter, and poor you. Usually most kinds of catfish are pretty durable. Give your daughter a hug for me. That's so sad.

The microwave door blew open and this powdered frappacino (never heard of it before that) was plastered on the walls, ceiling, and floor in about a 6-8ft radius. Later in the day, after being cleaned by the poor college student who was making the drink, it started smoking. Very very bad smell - permeated the entire building. Ick. Now we are microwaveless. I like to bring leftovers. Today I had a sandwich and yogurt. Not bad, but I could've had pineapple chicken.
    Hey Maine's great! (I went to college there and my mom lives there now.)

I thought catfish were fairly durable. And that's what she kept saying "I chose fish I thought would live a long time." Oh the humanity. Well, I will go back to LFS and get another one probably.

How's your back??
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    Hey Maine's great! (I went to college there and my mom lives there now.)

I thought catfish were fairly durable. And that's what she kept saying "I chose fish I thought would live a long time." Oh the humanity. Well, I will go back to LFS and get another one probably.

How's your back??

we can't keep a fish alive past 6 days. We have tried twice. Everyone I know says it is impossible to kell a beta. Well, we did it. Twice

You wanna see something really cool happen to a microwave? Stick an unopened tin of paint in there for a while...

Sorry to hear about minimaillot's fish.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

You wanna see something really cool happen to a microwave? Stick an unopened tin of paint in there for a while...

Sorry to hear about minimaillot's fish.
    You guys are scary. Back awaaaaay from the microwave....

I loved the catfish my ex and I had in a 55 gallon tank, along with a butt-load of other fish. The catfish was sturdy. Maybe you just got a "bad" one. Does LFS have any kind of guarantee?

L.
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock