Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 627 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 1275275776176236246256266276286296306316376777271127 ... LastLast
Results 9,391 to 9,405 of 17465

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

Snap started it. She quotes those little things you'd like to delete later, and then they are SAVED IN AMBER for all posterity. Posteroirity. Postitutde. whatever.

But if you're reeeeeeally nice to me, I might delete my snap... <leer>
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 01-01-2007 at 02:11 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

So now "It's a snap" takes on a whole new meaning
    That's how language grows.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    There are companies that deal with flooded indoor carpets. They have big fans that blow under a carpet to dry it. Not sure if they can deal with the mold, but they could definitely help with getting the floor and carpet dry after you do something to kill the mold. I recall this service not being terribly expensive - they just pull up the edge of the carpet and leave a fan blowing for a couple days.
    ah you beat me. exactly. that's what the professionals do.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikingmomof3 View Post
    I thought owning your own home was to be fun.
    Jennifer, now, here's why owning your own home is fun.
    When you were 9 months pregnant, your landlord couldn't evict you.
    When you decided to paint a mural on the wall, you couldn't get evicted for it.
    When you decided to knock a wall out completely, no one gave you grief about that either.
    And not having a landlord who could evict you after living in a home for 4 years and always paying your rent on time when you were pregnant with your first child would be nice too. This happened to me. Why did they evict me? Since I got their house cleaned up they decided their daughter would like to live there and with a 1 week old baby, we had to move out.
    (the mural was at another house that we were evicted from and the wall
    was a hypothetical thing)

Owning your own home gives a great sense of security. Sure, there's problems, but take your carpet dilemma today; it would have happened with a rental too. and then they'd keep the cleaning deposit.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

I have an idea!! Could you take up the carpet, and put down either wood floor or beautiful tile, just in that one area?? Then the tree can always be safe to dink there in future years!

I caulked all the windows on the north side of the house. It poured last night, and nothing got in! Mine, luckily, dried out before it had a chance to mold.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Jen - Agreed on Service Master - I handle a lot of claims where faulty construction leads to water intrusion, leads to mold and they have ways of dealing with it.

Good luck!

Happy New Year TD!!!

We went for a hike. Great idea! Took the dog. Great! Went off the trail and everyone got ticks. Not so great! So I had to give him a bath outside with the hose - backbreaking and cold. None of the doggie baths were open. Oh well. 2 bloody marys later and all is forgotten. Almost.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Doggie baths... how fun. I'm waiting for the next bottle of champagne to get cold.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Doggie baths... how fun. I'm waiting for the next bottle of champagne to get cold.

V.
    isn't it expensive to bathe dogs in Champagne?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Hmm. Well technically I think many/most of us home 'owners' could be evicted, but, the evictors would be bankers' henchmen rather than landlords' henchmen and in theory that only if we have been extremely unable to pay the mortgage and not been able to work anything satisfactory out to the lender.

I think it's more like "home rent-to-ownership" but overall I agree, the bank doesn't care what I do to it on a day to day basis...

Here's a snippet from The Free Dictionary...

Under English common law a mortgage was an actual transfer of title to the lender, with the borrower having the right to occupy the property while it was in effect, but non-payment ended the right of occupation. Today only Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Rhode Island and Vermont cling to the common law, and other states using mortgages treat them as liens on the property. More significantly, 14 states use a "deed of trust" (or "trust deed") as a mortgage. These states include: California, Illinois, Texas, Virginia, Colorado, Georgia, Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina and West Virginia. Under the deed of trust system title is technically given to a trustee to hold for the lender who is called a beneficiary.
    Anyway, on a different note, better to have a drinking tree than a flaming one! Ah, the perils of Christmas....

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    = 2 bloody marys later and all is forgotten. Almost.
    Mmmmmmmmmmm. Bloody Marys.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    I bet the dog would prefer warm champagne.

Speaking of home ownership, my leaky roof is temporarily not leaking after the applications of new tarps. First was a plastic sheet held on with rocks and duct tape. Duct tape came loose and the plastic flapped in the wind and leaking began again. Next we used polyethylene tarps with long parachute cords tying the corners to anchor screws under the eaves. The tarps are also helping anchor the plastic and so far so good with today's long rain. Snow will be an even better anchor if we get some that stays awhile. Will probably wait until spring for the roof repair, as it's leaking where the flat roof and sloping roof meet, and the flat roof needs to be completely replaced. It's sagged so badly that it holds water 4-6 inches deep. So we probably need to replace or sister all the roof joists. That should be fun - having open sky above the master bedroom.

On the positive side, my car roof leak has been fixed.

Good luck with the carpet, BMo3.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

ServiceMasters have been called and a nice man will be popping over tomorrow to determine if the affected carpet can be saved and if I can afford the actual saving of said carpet. If not, Nanci has an interesting idea.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post

I don't know. I haven't been to France.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

My dog would rather be bathed in Bologna.

(The flight wouldn't be such fun, though. )
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Boy., Knot, your dog has expensive taste. My cats would prefer to EAT their bologna!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA