Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 170 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180220270670 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

Tour de Guava mini report

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm tired...Did the 200k, actually 135 miles, because of the intentional and unintentional bonus miles. I finished 16th out of 42 or more- it was 42 last I heard, but don't know if that counted the RBA who rode with us or anyone who signed in late. I was middle of the pack a lot of the way, did a lot of leapfrogging, rode with a bunch of different twosomes and a couple different packs. At the end, though, it became very evident who was heat-acclimated and who was not. I stopped twice before lunch at 88 miles to drench my hair and down my shirt. Other people got way behind, even then, because they overheated. I took electrolytes, Succeed S! Caps, every 30 minutes by an alarm. At lunch, I took a shower on the beach. I had to ask directions twice, and probably got off course four or five times- never disasterously. RBAs should have to preride the course. This kind of thing doesn't happen with my club...(Cue sheet errors and roads with different names than the sheet says.) It was in the mid-90's, and I heard some people's computers were reading over 100. I didn't catch the rain. The thing that really slowed me down were the overpasses on the Pinellas Trail- but luckily they were short enough that I could stand and minimize the delays. This dropped me out of any packs, though. After lunch, I tried to go fast. The couple big packs were stopping a lot to cool off and taking a long time at official and unofficial stops. I tried not to hang out at the stops. I left the last one alone, ahead of two big packs and several duos. I RACED to the end, the last 10 miles. Half a mile before the end, I thought I saw a rider behind me, and I really flew! They were surprised to see me come in so early. Hmmm, I don't use the AC in my car, my house AC can't keep the house as cool as we want, I take the torts out to graze for an hour or two every night when it is still 85. I don't die riding in that kind of weather. It was too hot to eat effectively, though. I had chicken chow mein for breakfast, and two glasses of grapefruit juice and two cups of coffee. Then one bottle of Endurance Gatorade and water before lunch, and about five cans of Coke, and water after lunch. Sport Beans. Half a Mojo bar. I coudn't choke it down. Grapes and potato chips and two slices of turkey for lunch. That's it. I felt good the whole ride. I got goosebumps about 18 miles before the end, (heatstroke???) but went in a store and poured water on my head and bought a bag of ice and stuffed it everywhere, and that went away. My riding time was 8:11, and the total time was 10:53. 13.5 hour limit. I think this is my fastest 200k ever. I don't know what my average speed is yet, but it was 16.7 for a lot of the morning, till the first hill. 15.0 at lunch. 15.6 the last time I looked before the end. That's pretty good- in a ride that long, even riding 19-21 mph, it takes a long time to change the average speed. The first third had zillions of stops and turns. It was pretty fun.
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Auntie K

I had buyer's remorse over a car, too. I had a 1991 Ford Explorer that I put 300k on. I loved that truck. But I couldn't afford a used one, even, when it died, so I got an Isuzu Rodeo. It felt small and fragile and light. Nothing was the same as the Explorer. I missed it so much. Then, after a year and a half, I found a good deal on a 2003 Explorer. I test drove it. And HATED it! All the stuff I'd been pining away for now really bugged me. It felt like a tank. It was too big. I couldn't see out as well. Now I love the Isuzu more. I hope that happens for you...
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Nanci! Wow! Great ride report! I am impressed with what you can do in that heat. Rest up.
    Snap--what pictures? I don't see any pictures! L.

EDIT: At the hospital, I couldn't see the pictures. At home I can. Wierd.
    Bleu is a beauty! The bag looks sooo roomy. I love that. And Chloe is one lucky dog.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

crazycanuck - i'm waving back at ya! HI!!!!!

snap - bleu looks beautiful. i take it chloe likes her ice cream. never seen frosty paws ice cream though. i'm sure my rug rats wouldn't even tast it as it went down.

nanci - great job! go you!!!
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

chick - Chloe likes food. Period. Ice cream, yogurt, vegetables, bananas. It's all good.

The Frosty Paws was peanut butter flavored, I think that's why she liked it. That, and it was 100 degrees that day.....

Great job Nanci! It pays to be heat-acclimated, for sure! It sounds like you really had fun on this one!
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

Well, I didn't get to ride this morning - IT RAINED!!!!! Yippee! Rain and a little thunder -what a glorious sound! I'm going to try to slip in a ride this afternoon if it doesn't get too hot. That ought to test the wicking ability of the shorts, eh?
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

Quote Originally Posted by fishdr
    Well, I didn't get to ride this morning - IT RAINED!!!!! Yippee! Rain and a little thunder -what a glorious sound! I'm going to try to slip in a ride this afternoon if it doesn't get too hot. That ought to test the wicking ability of the shorts, eh?
    Yay for the rain! I know what you mean. When it rained here last Wednesday, I just about shed tears of gratitude. Hope you get to take a ride!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

It's already up to 94F with a heat index of 100F. I think FishJr and I are going to go for a ride together before dinner. A few laps around the neighborhood. I'll pull out the hybrid for that.

I'm making "posole" for dinner. I don't think I'm doing it right...It's very salty and the pork is tough. It's 93F here, with 42% humidity. I think I am going to take the torts and Dill out for wine leftover night, featuring Chenin Blanc and Merlot. I am still reading 23 Days in July, about Lance's 6th win. There is quite a bit about everyone else, too. I like it.

Great ride report (as USUAL), Nanci!!

Fish I hope you get a ride in!

I think today will be a "recovery" day. Just what I am recovering from,I don't know, but I don't see having any time to get out for a hike. I need to set up the bike on the trainer. Doesn't solve the time problem, though...
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Nanci - Can't help you with the meal - I've never made that or had it. Here's an unrelated question for you - have you ever tried the Perf. Ultra shorts? I still haven't made it outside in them. I know you're always interested in collecting more data on shorts. From what I can tell, the chamois looks identical to the Shelastic from Sheebeest. Just FYI. Maybe tomorrow morning... I feel like I'm never going to get a ride in!

The kids are playing computer games (learning games). FishJr is trying to teach the little one how to use a mouse. She is being very patient with him. He likes the scroll button and to make the big white arrow whiz across the screen. She keeps telling him "stop, you're making me dizzy". It's quite a comedy in there! He watched her for the longest time today as she was doing her game (Dr. Seuss Kindergarten - very cute) and then he insisted on working on his computer. No - we didn't buy our little bitty kids computers - they have our hand-me-downs.

MP - Some days just need to be rest days - for no reason what-so-ever.

Fish, I tried those shorts. I don't remember what I didn't like. I didn't like any of the Century shorts, gel or gel light. Did they have the weird piece going horizontally across the top in the back, that made my *** look totally fat???

How can it be raining, from a blue sky, with no clouds over me?

Hmmmmm is there a flock of birds flying over???