Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1165 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 16566510651115115511611162116311641165
Results 17,461 to 17,471 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

I feel honored, but weird. It didn't feel as weird when I had drinks with another former student, who also teaches 7th grade Language Arts, but in a different district. In fact, she had applied for the job at my old school, but the other former student got it.
    I found this out, in a very funny FB thread, where the social studies teacher on my former team commented on a menu item at a local restaurant. The current former student, LA teacher stated the conversation was very weird and out of context, just at the same time I posted that this was such a typical conversation for this group. Then, one of the people who had the position in between us stated that's because we are all "weird." This was seconded by a few others, prompting me to state that I miss their sense of humor, because therapists do not have the same sense of humor, or even *any* sense of humor.
    Just a testament to how I still feel connected to these people after 11 years, and obviously that a) we imparted our weirdness to a lot of our students and b) you have to have a certain sense of humor to be a middle school teacher. I guess also, the fact that this is a "looping" team, where we had our kids for 2 years made us way more like a family. Certain families chose this experience for their kids and it usually was a great match.
    I smiled a lot the whole day after this exchange!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I hear ya, Crankin. You know what makes me feel old these days? I turn on the TV and nearly all the news anchors are younger than me.

Sigh...I remember when everyone on TV (other than kids) were older than me, and now I notice how young everyone is. It's depressing!
    It feels weird, that I'm a....great-aunt. Of a baby boy born to my oldest nephew (31 yrs.) and his wife last year. I actually haven't told anyone at work. Every month, I learn of work colleague who casually mention their parents....in late 50's or mid-60's. Meanwhile I'm 59.

Guess what makes me feel old yet honoured:
    This fall in Vancouver BC there will be an art gallery exhibit and lecture/workshop that will honour the first leading Asian-CAnadian magazine, Asianadian promoting literary and visual arts by Asian-Canadians..from late 1970's to late 1980's. I wrote an article for the magazine and was also volunteer for 5 years before magazine died. We had paid subscriptions from across North America. The magazine was formed because artists and writers were tired of being muffled /overshadowed by non-Asians.

this was before my cycling life. It was heady to be at the forefront of something new and "radical" at the time.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

How about when your doctor appears to be 12 years old? I swear my dermatologist is Doogie Howser!

Bump.

Retirement is great but I'm having horrible issues with the company medical. They are continually miss billing me for it. Thought I got it squared away but nope and with this last statement, here we go again.

If I don't stop getting mail from AARP I am going to explode. I can't stand anything about a group centered on old people. It's been 15 years, give it up!
    My big big birthday is in 2 weeks. Not really looking forward to it. I have never minded birthdays, but after getting my Medicare card, it felt awful. Well, I don't actually have to use it or buy the supplemental stuff, since I still have private insurance.
    The whole age thing pisses me off. People have preconceived notions of what older people are. Like the song says, I think I'll die, before I get old.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Wow, this was all the way on Page 3 behind a bunch of Spam. I've been away both from this board and from cycling for a long time. Life and injuries have gotten in the way. Last summer I was all ready to take it up again, then I injured my wrist at work and that has been a long recovery.

As the weather improves and I think about taking my slow, comfy hybrid out to doodle around the neighborhood, I remembered the days when I was in here all the time. And wondered how everyone was doing. If anyone is still checking in, I'd love to hear your news. Wishing everyone safety and good health in these very strange times.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

We're good. Knot is back at work. Don't know if you knew she was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer in October '18. So about 9 months of chemo and recovery from chemo which was no fun lemme tell you. And then 2 surgeries which technically were 3 surgeries. After all that now she's NED. Doctors don't say remission, cured or recovered anymore. They say "No Evidence of Disease". In other words "We can't find it anymore"

She had several weeks where they had her working from home which would have been ideal for us. She's healthy, I'm healthy, we're both off work. She could have done conference calls from anywhere, even the beach "Uhm, yes, boss. That is a fake Zoom background. I'm in my living room, really! " But we are staying safe at home.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Oh, no I had not heard about the cancer. But I am glad to hear you are both doing well now!
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Quote Originally Posted by NbyNW View Post
    Oh, no I had not heard about the cancer. But I am glad to hear you are both doing well now!
    Yeah. We're glad too.

She's gotten interested in music. As of now added 2 ukuleles and a guitar to the stable. We're about to have the same storage issue with them as the bikes.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey, hoping everyone is ok. Haven't checked in here for a looooog time.
    I'm still alive and kicking, waves and hug to anyone who even remembers me... best wishes to you all. Remembering the good ol days on this TE site.

Haven't been riding my bikes in a couple years, but was doing a lot of contra dancing before the pandemic hit, and now I do a mini trampoline session in my living room to try to not totally become a blob.
    Today's election day. sigh....
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Hey, hoping everyone is ok. Haven't checked in here for a looooog time.
    I'm still alive and kicking, waves and hug to anyone who even remembers me... best wishes to you all. Remembering the good ol days on this TE site.

Haven't been riding my bikes in a couple years, but was doing a lot of contra dancing before the pandemic hit, and now I do a mini trampoline session in my living room to try to not totally become a blob.
    Today's election day. sigh....
    hmmm. ?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^