Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1154 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 1546541054110411441150115111521153115411551156115711581164 ... LastLast
Results 17,296 to 17,310 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

Recent article by an American and immigrating to Canada: http://torontolife.com/city/life/dea...g-canada-hard/

I've been to Hawaii twice on different islands and I'm not sequestered on a beach: it struck me as quite different in "feel' than mainland U.S. but of course it's cultural history is just quite different. If it weren't for palm trees and flowered apparel, it felt like to me, like being in Vancouver, BC.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I've to something to be happy about :p

Found myself a mess of matsutakes. I'll be shopping for ingredients today and cooking up these lovelies for myself and a few friends tomorrow. yum! These only grow in the wild and tend to be kind of pricey if you buy them - finding them myself makes them all the sweeter. I got a nice haul enough of chanterelles for one meal too (I don't really like to pick more than I can use in any case) that I cooked the same night. On the menu plain broiled, chawan mushi (egg custard), matsutake gohan and matsutake sukiyaki.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	matsi.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	18243  
    Last edited by Eden; 11-12-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I agree, Emily. My younger son may be moving to Hawaii after he does his initial training for the Army. That is just too far away. His other choice he put in for was Colorado Springs. It would be way more realistic that I would go to Colorado a couple of times a year. Hawaii is just too far. Now, they are in CA and I've even done long weekend visits.
    I love Hawaii, but flights to/from are tough on the system, especially west to east. You basically lose a night of sleep. I'd hope for Colorado too.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Recent article by an American and immigrating to Canada: http://torontolife.com/city/life/dea...g-canada-hard/
    Wow! I know many expats in Mexico and Belize who had to go through the process to obtain permanent residency in those countries, and it is much less stringent. I had no idea Canada was so strict, but that sounds like the little I've read about immigrating to New Zealand (the points system, and such). The article didn't mention the requirements for retirees, which are sometimes relaxed a bit -- so long as you have plenty of money to bring with you!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Wow! I know many expats in Mexico and Belize who had to go through the process to obtain permanent residency in those countries, and it is much less stringent. I had no idea Canada was so strict, but that sounds like the little I've read about immigrating to New Zealand (the points system, and such). The article didn't mention the requirements for retirees, which are sometimes relaxed a bit -- so long as you have plenty of money to bring with you!
    Yup. The stories of immigrants coming into Canada with not a lot of money to start a new life, are less and less nowadays. It could still be, if one was sponsored by a family member and then a whole application, waiting period for approval. Sure there are the refugee stories and Canada accepted over 20,000 Syrian refugees within last 12 months are exceptions. One has to present their case to Canadian federal govn't board for refugees.

I know of a personal case for a Canadian engineer who married a Syrian engineer over past 3 years. He applied for immigration...he's still waiting for approval from Canada after 2 yrs. And he is not applying as a refugee at all.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I met my new great niece today, all seven pounds of her, she was amazing!! This tiny little perfect human, all soft and sweet and she smelled good (most of the time).

Electra Townie 7D

Congratulations, Pax. I know you will be a great great auntie. I wish my brother lived closer, so he could see his grand niece who is here. He does live about 75 miles from my younger son, but has yet to see his baby. My family is so small, it makes me upset, but I can't force it. He sent nice gifts and called, so it's not all bad.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Weird, Crankin, can't imagine not wanting to meet the little one. With the usual traffic snarls in Chicago, we drove six hours round trip trip to make this little pea pods acquaintance today, totally worth it! Man, it was just the best, holding her and seeing so much of my niece in her. I haven't held a newborn so closely since it was her... 32 years ago.

Electra Townie 7D

I know it is weird. When we went to LA to see them in September, he didn't drive up from San Diego. He cited work hours and being "too far," which are slightly accurate as he works different shifts at Home Depot as a manager there. And the traffic in SoCal determines a lot. But still, he should have come. He struggles with mood stuff, so I get it, but it sucks.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Congrats to Sheila and Pax and your families. I have no great nephews or nieces yet. Holy cow this is the first time I've ever thought about myself being a "great aunt"! I think of my great aunts when I was little, they all seemed to be "old." But they were still energetic well into true old age, good role models really.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Oh, weird! My great nephew was born yesterday!
    Gosh, congrats. Enjoy...! Time flies when munchkins grow fast.
    I don't expect any "great"-niece/nephew. The oldest of the pack, in terms of nieces and nephews, is a niece who is 31 yrs. old. The youngest is 7 yrs. old. So, rather intriguing to see such a wide age range.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Oh, weird! My great nephew was born yesterday!
    Congrats, it's so cool to hold them and see how much of their parents show in them.

Electra Townie 7D

This has been a constant surprise to DH and I. That genetic thing is strong! The day my granddaughter was born, she was doing this weird thing with her right arm, lifting it with her hand curled a certain way. My son did that exact same thing and when we showed my son a picture of him like this, he was freaked out!. She gets a mean look on her face and she looks exactly like my DH when he is upset. Her entire affect is just like my son's was.
    My other granddaughter looks more like her mom, but you can see my son (the one who looks like me ) in the shape of her face and her smile. They are coming to visit in a month, so I am interested to see what other similarities there are.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

SERENITY NOW!!!!

(It has not been a good morning. Let's hope things improve this afternoon!)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I hope so, too, NY.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura