Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1152 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 1526521052110211421148114911501151115211531154115511561162 ... LastLast
Results 17,266 to 17,280 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Well I honestly believe none of this matters today. For the first time in my life I am truly ashamed to be an American. I am literally sick to my stomach thinking about the future.
    I too am feeling sickened by what has happened. And baffled, and enraged and fearful.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

You should move. We need good people like you gals around...and we also have a cute prime Minister (and his wife is smart and classy too) to look at in media (ok...that is too superficial I know but it helps digest politics --- for me anyway). hihi. Funny when we went through our national election, no one really thought Trudeau would nail this win and strong. He did... and after a year, polls said he passed the test at 77%. Not bad so far.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 11-09-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Helene, Trudeau is adorable and awesome! If only I could tolerate cold weather.

NY, I love your necklace! Harper's Ferry is a wonderful little town. I've only visited once, when we did Bike Virginia way back in 2003, but I've never forgotten it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'm with you. I told some friends that if it were not for my mom, I'd be packing my bags.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Well I honestly believe none of this matters today. For the first time in my life I am truly ashamed to be an American. I am literally sick to my stomach thinking about the future.

We discussed Canada again last night, we wanted to go several years ago but we having a hard time finding jobs there. But we keep running into that wall, without jobs it's almost impossible for us to immigrate now, we are too old and we don't have enough money to compensate for our age. I understand that, they don't want a bunch of us 50+ year old people moving up and using their healthcare... but sure wish it was an option.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Have you ever checked into New Zealand?
    Too far from what little family we have, and from what I've read, even tougher requirements. The key to places with Universal Healthcare seems to be, do it before you hit 50, or be sure a local company there employs you, or have a skill that is in high demand, or finally, have a lot of money in the bank.

Electra Townie 7D

One of my German co-worker (naturalized American), just to have some fun with his relative in Germany asked if he could apply for refugee status and emigrate to Germany. One of his relative worked in the German government. Reply was USA was not listed as one of the countries where refugee status was given. If you are given a refugee status, I think they'll pay you two years of living expense, a school to attend so that you can learn German and integrate into their society. But their are lot of animosity toward immigrants some have gotten to be rather violent.

Places where I would like to relocate would be most of the northern European countries, Denmark, Netherland, Norway, Sweden (they are also having lots of trouble with immigrants so much so that Swedes are emigrating out). Other places are Pyrenees, because its so pretty or Alsace, is it French or German??

Maybe we could apply for political asylum if you are gay. Pence is vehemently against the gays...

Yes Pence is, I live in Indiana and much cheering was heard when Trump tapped him. We never DREAMED he was just going to get a really big promotion. We were just happy that he was no longer our governor...little did we know what would happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Whereas here in Virginia, one of my few consolations is that we keep Tim Kaine as one of our senators.

I saw this link on facebook, thought some folks here might be interested.

http://jezebel.com/a-list-of-pro-wom...big-1788752078

I know a young woman who was adopted. She was still a child at the time but not especially young, because she had "special needs" -- health problems which include mental health issues. She was crying the other night, worried about people who rely on mental health services and what will happen to them in the next few years. She's lucky that she has a loving family to support her, but not everyone is that lucky. I'm worried too. And really I'm not talking about politics here, I just feel meanness is winning. So I am looking over the organizations listed in that article, to make some donations and maybe do some volunteer work.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

My mother and step-dad were joking about New Zealand as well, but from what I've heard it is very hard to get more than a tourist permit to go there and the cost of living is very high. I have no first-hand experience, but it sure looks like a gorgeous spot, though!

DH and I are talking about Mexico. I'm surprised that Canada is mentioned over and over, but never Mexico. Surprising, since with the peso's fall, it is incredibly cheap there, and there are plenty of very safe places with great culture. The entire Yucatan Peninsula is very safe. The city of Merida, for just one example: amazing food, expat infrastructure, museums, theater, gorgeous architecture, etc. It's a big city, though; not for everyone. And for those who still need to work, it is harder than for we retirees. The cycling infrastructure isn't nearly as good in Mex as in the US either. That keeps tripping us up as there are very few places we'd be willing to live there because of not being able to ride, or in only a very limited way.

I do agree, though, that we progressives are needed more than ever in the US. We'll certainly stick it out for awhile, but if things get too impossible, Mexico will likely be our exit plan. I hope things will not get as bad here as they could, and if things go really crazy, the midterm elections could really help balance things back out.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I lived in Vancouver back in '83 and would move back in a heartbeat if I had the money. Frankly I've been shocked at the response from both of my sisters (one kept sending me pro-Trump links and others telling me that "your church isn't telling you everything" kind of thing). Ugh. Outside of TE, I've walked away from social media (especially Facebook) for a period of time as it's just upsetting and my stomach is in a knot. I can't do myself, or anyone else, any good by watching all of this stuff on Facebook, and it's upsetting that most of it is from my family.

Guess I knew before as I'm the only socially liberal lesbian Anglican in the family, but it really brings it home at JUST how different our worldviews are. They just don't seem to "get" that isolationist natiivism, white supremacy, homophobic, and misogynist policies actually hurt people, for real. I do have a couple of nieces who give me hope, but I wonder if there is really anything on which my sisters (and the rest of my family) and I agree. I don't think there is, and this week has really brought that home. Sorry for venting/mourning/whatever this is.
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-10-2016 at 02:50 PM.

emily_in_nc
    right there with you. Was researching today. Will be a few more years, I think but time to get serious. My son and his GF are in Tulum this week and I told them they should just stay

I try to stay politically neutral but only to a point and I think this election just got me to that point. HUGS TO ALL! Be Strong together
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

There's a lot of talk of moving, but I know I am not going anywhere...
    Since I broke ties with family members who are racists 8 years ago, I don't see any pro Trump posts on FB. I have deliberately cocooned myself. I do, however, read, and it would be unrealistic for me to think that there's not a lot of Americans who are angry and unhappy. To me, it gets down to the fact that the world has changed, and certain jobs are never coming back, despite an incredibly low unemployment rate overall. That's reality. It's not the liberals' fault, it's progress, technology, and change. I am not sure what the solution is to this, except government investment in retraining, education, and small businesses. People don't like change. People are afraid of anything that is different, including other people. Heck, I hang out with those who think like me.
    I was a wreck Tuesday night and had bad dreams all night. I didn't want to get up and turn on the news. I knew DH had gotten out of bed at 2 AM to look at the TV. I dealt with all kinds of grief and acute stress reactions in my clients and some of my peers I went to grad school with (the younger ones).
    I am going way back to draw on my experience in the late 60s. We have the power to change things.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yes we do Crankin, and that's empowering. I think what surprised me so much about my sisters was I had really thought they had changed/grown beyond all of that. Well, I had blinders on, and that happens. I cannot and will not tolerate that poison around me. It isn't like we were very close but it really felt like a slap in the face. I do recognize the signs of acute stress in myself which isn't helping, but I know how to deal with it.

I grew up in the 70s, was too young in the 60s to remember much about the protests. Certainly this is the first time there has been national protests post-election in a very long time. Wasn't Nixon (2nd term) the last time?
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-10-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Yes we do Crankin, and that's empowering. I think what surprised me so much about my sisters was I had really thought they had changed/grown beyond all of that. Well, I had blinders on, and that happens. I cannot and will not tolerate that poison around me. It isn't like we were very close but it really felt like a slap in the face. I do recognize the signs of acute stress in myself which isn't helping, but I know how to deal with it.

I grew up in the 70s, was too young in the 60s to remember much about the protests. Certainly this is the first time there has been national protests post-election in a very long time. Wasn't Nixon (2nd term) the last time?
    This is particularily difficult if it's family (especially siblings) expressing and believing in ideas and values so very different from your own, Catrin.

It is disturbing as a Canadian, for the U.S. to now have a President/leader who unlike many other Presidents, so unpredictable and incredibly egocentric, thoughtless and uninformed in such a willful, destructive way that it divides people, insults whole groups of people over and over. Most of all, Trump's rhetoric and now leader, gives legitimacy to same bullying behaviour to other wannabe politicians in other countries nearby... Including Canada. THis is dangerous.

But it is hoped that Americans who don't at all share Trump's core values nor vision, will continue to work/voice their opposition. The last thing is sinking into helplessness and fear of Trump's power/ his backroom backers. That is my personal hope for the U.S. in future.

Canada's Prime MInister is different- he is fluently bilingual in English and French (and his wife also). He was high school teacher in Vancouver for a few years. Yesterday on the day of when win was declared for Trump, PM Justin Trudeau making a speech to a whole bunch of teens in Ottawa about the importance of them to be involved in community, etc. It was most likely calculated so that PM of Canada could focus on something positive to inspire our own future generations in our own country, on that day.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 11-10-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.