Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1144 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 1446441044109411341140114111421143114411451146114711481154 ... LastLast
Results 17,146 to 17,160 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wow, Blueberry, that is enough to complain about! I am sorry about it all. Can you go for a swim somewhere, in a lake or pool?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh my Blueberry, that is very stressful. Do you have indoor hobbies that would help you relax/get your mind off things?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Good grief, Blueberry, what a challenging summer!

I hear you about travel insurance, ours took five months of back and forth, threats of lawyers, and calls from the tour company before they paid about 1/2 what they agreed to. And the TSA has destroyed two sets of my luggage, leaving side/top pockets open after checking and then having them torn off; leaving the handles extended (after the swabbed for explosives, I was told) so the get mangled in the baggage trucks. They admitted they did it but "these things happen" was the reply to my claim.

Electra Townie 7D

I'm sorry Blueberry. That's a lot to deal with all at once, especially when you know you need to save up energy to start new classes.

Oh yes, when things pile on and on it can be frustrating. Can you find someplace with air conditioning so you can at least get out of the house -- like an out-of-the-way corner of a public library or a matinee movie?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Man o man, so sorry to hear about all this coming one thing right after another, Blueberry! I would be frustrated too!

I'm especially sorry to hear about your Bike Fridays being damaged by TSA. We shipped ours to and from Mexico with nary a glitch, and both times our suitcases were inspected by TSA. We felt very, very fortunate. There's just no excuse for that whatsoever!

I hope that you will get some reimbursement, but you will have to be very persistent. Whatta royal pain when you don't need yet another thing on your plate.

I hope your DH's healing will continue -- sounds like it has been a long haul for him.

Virtual hugs to you... <3
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks everybody! I feel a bit better today (less congested, less fever, and less headache) - so better able to handle the non-stop racket from upstairs. Sadly no swimming - between me being sick and not wanting to share and most of our local pools being closed because of cryptosporidium (a nasty GI bug that normal concentrations of chlorine won't touch). I might try getting on the bike trainer very gently a bit later. I'm sort of stuck babysitting the contractors (at least when DH has to be out). I might try to take the laptop to a library later (if DH is willing to be home) to get some online training I have to do for a research project done.

As far as the bikes - hopefully someone will do something. MasterCard seems as though it might be our best bet - but they are trying to require a claim with our homeowners insurance (which won't cover this). Things are somewhat held up by the fact that we are waiting on an estimate while our local shop is on vacation for the week. We can't file the TSA claim until we have estimates (in fact, we have to have 2 estimates to repair everything) - not sure where we'll even get a second estimate for some of this.

I honestly never want to travel by air again - I'm sure I will (it will be necessary) - but the coming home kind of wrecked what was otherwise an awesome vacation. There's absolutely no excuse for the damage, but there's nothing to stop it either. TSA is virtually immune from having to pay for the damage they cause as best I can tell - there's no incentive for them to be careful. As we were leaving Dublin there was an announcement that the flight was delayed because they were sending 2 suitcases back to be x-rayed again. At that point, we had a really bad feeling. Dublin is weird - TSA has an outpost. We had to clear EU security and then clear TSA. The EU people laughed at me when I took my shoes off - the TSA people barked at me to do it more quickly. It was pretty obvious that my case was hurriedly closed (water bottle just jammed in, tools not put back up, bike padding not put back, handlebars jammed in, etc.). DH's they just ripped the straps instead of releasing the buckle.

We had to change airports because of the flight delay - and so had to re-go through security at JFK. They dumped by bag for a "very dangerous sharp object" - euro coins. Yep - very dangerous, those. Much more dangerous than leaving my passport, wallet, and personal effects out where they could be stolen (unprotected) and where I wasn't allowed to reach them. Then I got groped without them bothering to actually wait for consent. *sigh* Wish I were convinced that any of their $hit makes us any safer.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Right there with you on air travel, Blueberry. You basically sign away all your rights and any property you bring with you when you fly. Since I'm tall and have short hair (and am often called "sir") I had a male TSA agent run his hands down my chest until he hit boobs, he stepped back and called a female agent over to finish, but no apology, no oops. I hate flying with a passion.

Electra Townie 7D

I hate flying because of 2 hour wait at the airport thanks to $#@ Whoever came up with the truly insane non-security must be dumber than Curly oh no make that Moe.

I really am sorry to hear the indignity you all have suffered. Now I really know that I made the right decision for a 1600Km (1000mile) road trips.

This is why, even if you travel 1-2X a year it is so worth it to pay the money for Pre Check and/or the Trusted Traveler program.
    You are treated like a human, no shoe taking off, no lines, and even a smile. The best $100.00 I've spent.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    This is why, even if you travel 1-2X a year it is so worth it to pay the money for Pre Check and/or the Trusted Traveler program.
    You are treated like a human, no shoe taking off, no lines, and even a smile. The best $100.00 I've spent.
    We'll be doing the international version - we just couldn't get an appointment fast enough for this trip. That said, it irks me that one has to pay to join a special program to be treated as one should be treated all along. Also not sure it would have done us any good in Dublin - I don't recall seeing different lines there.

Sadly, it wouldn't have helped with the bikes.

And it doesn't always help humans either. I have TSA Pre-Check and they still grope me like a teenager on a date. Probably because of knee replacement implant, but as I've noticed, my knee is nowhere near my freaking boobs.

Electra Townie 7D

Really? I mean, I know that some airports don't have the separate lines (they didn't in San Diego, 2 years ago, but do now), but I have never been frisked or even looked at, when I go through the precheck line. Pax, it could be your knee, but DH has a lot of metal in his shoulder and he's never been stopped, either. And while they should, in theory, treat everyone nicely, I guess I don't mind paying for the chance to avoid the line.
    The bike issue, well, that's another story. Our Gurus were fine when we traveled with them to the San Juans, by plane. On the other hand, my son's bike was mangled when shipped UPS from Acton to the U of AZ. We thought that was safer than putting it on the plane.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah, Pre in Orlando is a nice quiet separate line, but every time I time I go through the scanner it's followed by a pat down, usually shoulds and sides of the boobs. Pretty intrusive and annoying.

Electra Townie 7D

They had never messed with me before at all even without pre-check. I don't fly that often - usually about 1x/year (this was our second this year). I try to wear uncomplicated clothing and usually don't have an issue. I had on running shorts and a t-shirt (transatlantic flight). Sports bra without metal. Why any of that that confused their fancy-pants virtual strip search machine I'll never know.