Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1111 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 11161110111061110111071108110911101111111211131114111511211161 ... LastLast
Results 16,651 to 16,665 of 17465

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

Warm healing thoughts headed to your friend, Sky King.

Electra Townie 7D

Thinking of you, Sky King.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh my, certainly sending warm thoughts and prayers to your friend, Sky King!

[WARNING: DON'T READ IF YOU ARE VERY UNCOMFORTABLE WITH DEATH - sharing my med school experiences...]

To my Cadaver:

Sometime early in my fourth month of medical school, on our calendar appeared a small, non-description event that said "Meet the Cadaver." I don't think any among us were quite prepared to walk into the room with cold, stainless steel trays on wheels, lined up neatly, each with a blue body bag zipped up on top. The smell in the room was almost that of new plastic - which is, oddly enough, how dilute formalin can sometimes smell to me. We were given a brief introduction by our clinical faculty. We were told that each cadaver in the room was someone who was a resident of my state and who had donated his or her body to the medical school to be used in our education. We were then told to unzip the bag, and take our first look at our cadaver. There is nothing in daily life that can possible prepare one to be staring at an embalmed body under such circumstances. I first looked at you with a mixture of trepidation and curiosity.

As I sit here, prior to beginning our dissection, I can't help but wonder who you were. What kind of life did you lead? What made you make the extraordinary decision to gift your body to medical education? You have given our group of 9 students an amazing and unparalleled opportunity to learn about the human body. I hope you somehow knew before you died how grateful we are.

Soon we will make our first cuts. It seems like a violation, an intrusion into a very personal space we were never intended to invade. I hope that you can forgive us. I can think of no better way to honor your gift but to treat you with the respect due any human being and to learn as much as I positively can from you. That is, after all, what we were told your wishes were.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    My partner has talked about donating his body....

I have heard from friend and siblings who have had learn from cadaverS in their coursework...

mY doctor sister did mention, 1 key area when a person weakens ...in old, fragile ill state, is that person cannot pull themselves up to sit up from bed. So message to us alwhile we,re mobile: move while you can. Now.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Blueberry,

Thanks for your thoughts. My father donated his body to the University of Missouri School in 2011. Although it was a surprise to us kids, it was obviously a decision he and my mother (still with us) had thoughtfully planned many years before hand. It is comforting to know that the medical students appreciate the gift that has been given.

Best wishes in your medical career.

Penny Pinson
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Bluberry - that was wonderful, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Electra Townie 7D

Blueberry,

I am sure that was quite a life experience! I wonder if anyone has ever unzipped the bag and encountered someone they knew!?!?

Yep, my mind works in that kind of twisted way....
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Blueberry,

I am sure that was quite a life experience! I wonder if anyone has ever unzipped the bag and encountered someone they knew!?!?

Yep, my mind works in that kind of twisted way....
    After I got hurt as a firefighter I worked at a hospital lab, I was a phlebotomist and helped with autopsies, very first one I helped with was the husband of an old coworker. It was a very strange sensation.

Electra Townie 7D

One of my very first clients at the clinic I work at now is the husband of someone in HR at my DH's company. He still doesn't know, and if she knows, she is not letting on. I thought it would be obvious, as our last name is not common and I discussed it with my supervisor. We decided that since DH and the spouse of my client don't work closely together, it would be OK. There's been several other connections, with clients, too. I have refused a few who I know from my previous town/kids' schools. But, working 5 miles from home more than makes up for this.
    That was really interesting, Blueberry. Good luck with "getting to know" your cadaver.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

That WAS interesting Blueberry, though I admit that I was cringing when I read your disclaimer - and while I could have chosen to skip it I made the choice not to do so and I am glad I didn't. Thank you for the post and, indeed, good luck as you get to know your cadaver more.

I am getting all bent out of shape about this moving thing. While I am good with the septic fix, and waiting to relist our house, I thought the condo reno would be further along by now. All kinds of things have slowed it down, mostly because we are using Lowe's and having to oversee all of it. And we just didn't know about a few of the things we had to schedule. Also, it turns out the tile we are having removed (bathrooms and entry) was put in in an old fashioned way, where it was glued down. So, when the guy from the store comes out measure, he doesn't know this. They hire installers, who show up and discover this. Hence, that did not get done on Monday. They are coming back today to do the bathrooms, as they can lay the new tile over the old. But the entry way has to be sledge hammered out, so it meets the hardwood correctly. Has to be renegotiated for price, and then rescheduled. DH has spent hours on fixes for things that he didn't know about. Now, we find out one of our vanities has drawers in a place where the pipes might interfere... turns out a lot of stuff in the bathrooms was done quite strangely. But, we've been told we can order a new one if it doesn't work, and that means another few weeks. It's the guest bath, thankfully. Then, the vanities showed up without the sink bowls we chose. No one told us someone has to come out and measure for those, too.
    These are not deal breakers, but I am wishing we just hired a general contractor from a kitchen/bath place, like we did with this house. I know it would have been a lot more $, but poor DH has had to take off a lot of work, at a time when he has a lot of work, and he's been gone from 5 AM to 7 every day. Very unlike him. And he's spent countless hours over there, doing stuff. We are lucky he has the trade skills to do this, but he's not doing much exercise because of it (except running up and down stairs). Our neighbors there asked if we were going to "flip" the place, because we haven't moved in.
    Hoping that moving van can get up our driveway, if there's snow!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hang in there Crankin! Hopefully soon this will all recede and you will be happily settled in.

Hope you catch a break soon, Crankin.

I wonder if anyone in the history of modern housing has EVER moved into a new/different place and not had it be a painful experience? Every place we've ever bought has been fraught with annoyance, difficulty, additional expense, uncertainty... and yet we just keep buying and fixing up places. Sure hope the current one is the very last one.

Electra Townie 7D

I feel much better after venting here! The good thing is, the kitchen is done (DH just has to hang the microwave), and it looks gorgeous.
    We actually haven't had any really horrible buying or remodeling stories. Our remodel of this house's kitchen and bathrooms, went smooth as silk, done in 6 weeks. Yes, we discovered a lot of stuff that had been done wrong in this house, along the way, but that was really our fault. We bought this house very impulsively, and it's really the first house we've had that was older than 10 years. So, we have had to fix a lot of stuff here, but, we've also enjoyed living here. We had the basement finished and built a huge custom screened porch on our last house, and those things went well, too. I just think I would have been less stressed if we had spent the $ for the general contractor; that way, when you come up on a problem, they supply the alternative fixes, you choose, and it's not all on you. You are esentially exchanging time for money, which in this case, I think is worth it.
    I decided to skip the group ride today, which had been rescheduled from Wednesday. We have a high wind advisory, with gusts up to 45 mph, constant breeze of 15-20. It's sunny out, and not that cold, but I hate riding in the wind. Going to yoga, maybe a hike later.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura