Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1084 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 845849841034107410801081108210831084108510861087108810941134 ... LastLast
Results 16,246 to 16,260 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't FB nor twitter. No interest and my personal contacts don't use these tools at all or hardly at all.

So still drop by TE forums here. I sense a lot less women participating in discussion here. Wonder the administrator can tell us if there are a lot more readers vs. participants. It does take a longer period of time to understand forum dynamics and how to communicate in a manner that facilitates useful responses. I just think some folks on social media tend to be more shorthand and prefer it that way.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-12-2015 at 12:09 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I use FB all the time, but not so much for fitness activities. My FB friends who ARE active are much higher level liters than I, but most are not interested in hearing about it. Occasionally I post about it anyway but much of it I keep to TE. While there aren't that many posting here right now, I want to do what I can.

Me too, Muirenn. I get hit with that one often; Dad too. You have company.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Hugs, murienn and salsa.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

My mom passed away one year ago this week, I miss her so much.

Electra Townie 7D

I don't like the fact my mom missed seeing my kids grow up into wonderful adults. She was very close to them, despite the distance. I am glad they spent a lot of time together when they were very young, and we lived in AZ and my parents were in San Diego.
    On the other hand, my mom has been gone for almost 20 years. She was way too young to die, but she had been sick for awhile, which kind of prepared me. Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me, in that I don't really "miss" her, in the way most people describe. We had a good relationship and she was a good parent. But, I've been on my own since age 17, with only 3 years living in the same town since then. When I think of my mom, it's always in a good way, like what she would think of a particular thing, or i can hear her laughing about something. It is exactly what she would have wanted; she would not have wanted crying and sadness. I do find myself missing my phone conversations with my dad, who died in September, despite the fact we had never been that close. On a good note, his death has brought me closer with my brother, and I talk to him pretty often now.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Hugs to all of you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I don't like the fact my mom missed seeing my kids grow up into wonderful adults. She was very close to them, despite the distance. I am glad they spent a lot of time together when they were very young, and we lived in AZ and my parents were in San Diego.
    On the other hand, my mom has been gone for almost 20 years. She was way too young to die, but she had been sick for awhile, which kind of prepared me. Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me, in that I don't really "miss" her, in the way most people describe. We had a good relationship and she was a good parent. But, I've been on my own since age 17, with only 3 years living in the same town since then. When I think of my mom, it's always in a good way, like what she would think of a particular thing, or i can hear her laughing about something. It is exactly what she would have wanted; she would not have wanted crying and sadness. I do find myself missing my phone conversations with my dad, who died in September, despite the fact we had never been that close. On a good note, his death has brought me closer with my brother, and I talk to him pretty often now.
    I feel the same way about my dad as you do your mom, they had lived in FL for twenty years and I only saw him a couple of times a year, we talked on the phone and had a wonderful relationship but I don't exactly "miss" him since he wasn't part of my day to day life. The difference with mom is that she was omnipresent after we moved her home when dad died. I think that makes missing her more real for me.

Electra Townie 7D

I totally feel for all of you. I am approaching the 6th anniversary of losing my younger brother, and I miss him every day. Also coming up on three years since I lost my grandma, who was a major influence in my life. There are lots of days when the ache is pretty deep - often for seemingly no reason at all. I am lucky to still have both my parents.

Hugs to all of you.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Oh SheFly, that's a tough one about your younger brother.

My parents were supercool folks--smart, wise, funny, active, delightful. A year or two ago, I posted this picture of them on FB, and the number of friends and family from around the country who say, "Oh, I LOVED your parents so much!" was just a delight to see. I was lucky to have them as my parents.

I think it's natural to miss and simultaneously enjoy memories of people you loved. Pax, it does get less painful and more enjoyable with time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	herman and carolyn.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	17579
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

In 2013, I went to a party celebrating the communal 60th birthday year of the people in my class. Over and over again, friends from my childhood told my DH that my mom was "so beautiful, so sweet, nice." I was kind of getting sick of hearing it! She was beautiful, she looked like Audrey Hepburn. I think a lot of the comments stemmed from the fact that she was very different from the other suburban, Jewish women of her generation. She put on her jeans and rode bikes with me!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Hugs to all of you.
    More hugs to all. Almost a year since my mom died. We lost dad 10 years ago and I miss him every day.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

On another cycling forum today, a guy was wondering when he visits, what to say to his dying brother who just found out he had liver cancer. My response was: Just let go now, of whatever barriers there maybe between the 2 of you....

Like others here, I miss some family members. My sister who we suddenly lost almost 5 years ago, my father just last year... Right now, I'm dealing with lack of sleep (nearly 4 consecutive nights of no sleep except for 3 hrs. in total), because of messed up sleeping cycles due to head injury recovery, thoughts of the past, etc. Prescribed drug is not the greatest thing for me..1 drug caused a heart tightness when withdrawal symptoms occurred.

Hoping for baby sleep soon..
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Shootingstar, lack of sleep can be so miserable. Hoping you have some most-loved music and/or books that soothe you.

Still working on the sleep thing --to be drug-free as much as possible.

I did go for my lst slow bike ride almost 3 months since my injury. Went half a km. in the warm sunshine and clear dry pavement. It felt victorious...! The pathway was too crowded with cyclists and walkers at that time of day so I turned around to go home.