Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1016 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 165169169661006101210131014101510161017101810191020102610661116 ... LastLast
Results 15,226 to 15,240 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

stolen bike ten years later

To disable ads, please log-in.

Was quite a shock to roll up to a bike event last week and see the DH's Bridgestone MB1, that had been stolen from him 10 years ago, locked in the bike rack. He visited with the new owner who bought it about six months ago for a pretty penny from someone else. The consolation was knowing that the current owner appreciates and understands the bike and that the DH may actually get to "visit" it upon occasion. For grins, he did talk to the police and the statue of limitations is 5 years.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Oh my gosh, Sky King. What were the chances for that?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Ok, I haven't seen this posted here before, and I really needed something nice to look it. It's wonderful. Takes 17 minutes, but the diction... the overalls! the faith in bicycles! "A boon to man."

Take a look

How a Bicycle is Made (1945): http://vimeo.com/39401575
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

LPH, thanks for the link, that was good to see!

I saw this earlier today and shared it on FB. I couldn't find a non-FB link to it or I would have just linked it. I assume this is a product of Photoshop but it is sweet and just hit me. Also correct.

Pondering shipping:

I ordered 3 things on Monday (odd for me to order that much, but anyway....)

One arrived Tuesday. Wrong size; re-order arrived Wednesday.

One arrived Today.

One *shipped* yesterday, and will arrive maybe Tuesday of next week.

No special orders, all in stock, all free shipping, all large companies.

Wonder which company I won't be likely to re-order from. Retailers need to get it that waiting 4 days just to ship regular old in stock items is NOT OK. So glad TE (and lots of other retailers) get it.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Just venting...
    Work is very busy, so busy I feel I am not doing a good job taking care of my patients!

Tired and hard to get my mid week runs in! Worry I will not be in shape for Pikes Peak.

Tired of trying to lose wt but really not doing anything about it!

Sad, I miss my 18 year old kitty...I hope she understands I did what I thought was best for her.

Hate packing for a week long conference, clothes for the evening and workout stuff. What if I forget something?

I really should turn off computer and lights and get some sleep!

K
    katluvr

(((katluvr))). Sounds like you need a good night sleep. I'm sorry that you're feeling stressed and sad about your cat. Hang on there.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Wow; what a weird day. The power in our building went out at 2 p.m., while we were in the middle of sorting out an emergency hearing. It was out for about an hour and a half, and by the time it came back on at 3:30, the server was still down, so we still couldn't get much done. Ugh.

At 4:30, I met with my trainer at our worksite gym. The workout went well, but during the final stretches, I started to feel kind of funky. DH felt sort of off last night, too, so I wasn't overly surprised. I went back to my office and a few minutes later, I rushed to a toilet and threw up. I haven't thrown up in years (and, no, I'm not pregnant). It's the worst.

So, great. I feel okay at the moment, so maybe it was working out after a bit too big of a lunch. I'm just chilling for a bit to make sure I'm okay to drive home. Ugh; just make this day end.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

On a happier note, DH and I have decided to formally rehome a little stray cat that showed up on our doorstep in April. We have been opposed to taking in another cat (if you recall, we cared for some strays last year, too) because one of our existing cats has had some health issues. But we've decided to at least try with the newest stray, mostly because we've fallen in love with her. We've named her Matilda or Mattie.

Matilda's about one year old, but is the size of an older kitten. Her nickname is "Itty Bitty Kitty." I think she tips the scale at 5 pounds. She's short haired and black, with patches of white on her chest and belly. She's about the sweetest thing ever and loves to cuddle. But she's playful, too. She's just about everything I'd want in a cat. As it is, we have one cuddler who isn't overly playful and a playful cat who doesn't like to cuddle. Matilda is the total package, so to speak.

We had her spayed and vaccinated about three weeks ago, and she's going back to the vet tomorrow for a fuller checkup. I think she has ear mites and those need to be eradicated before she has contact with our cats. I've used Advantage Multi with them off and on over the years, but I'll get some for all three of them. She also likely has worms. She's already tested negative for FIV and FeLV. From there, it'll just be a slow introduction process. Our existing cats have smelled her on us and seen her outside for a while now. I'm going to take it in really small steps, so as to not stress out our geriatric cat too much. If it looks like it's just not going to work, then we're back to where we are now, so I'm not sure we have too much to lose. I sure hope it works out.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Awww, Indy, I hope you feel better.

The new Kitty sounds like a keeper. I hope the other cats agree!
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Awww, Indy, I hope you feel better.

The new Kitty sounds like a keeper. I hope the other cats agree!
    Thanks, Red. I made it home in one piece and mostly feel okay. I hope it was just a fluke.

How are you doing these days? I was out for ice cream with DH last week and, I know this may sound strange, but it made me think fondly of you and your dad. The anniversary of his passing is approaching if memory serves. Hugs to you. Those milestones are always hard.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Yes, it is. July 23. He would love that you thought of him! This was a tough year, but I have been feeling a lot better recently.

The restaurant where we had the ice cream that last day together just renovated, so the seats we sat at are different already. I was disappointed when I saw them changing things, because I wanted to go back and sit in the same seats, but now I see the beauty in that. Life is change. I'll still go there and remember him.

Thanks for the hugs.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Last night we went out to dinner at a tapas restaurant in Boston. I've been there a couple of times before. A young man led us up the stairs to our table; as I was going up behind him, I was thinking that I wonder if he's trying to see if the old people can get up these stairs as fast as me? I hadn't really seen his face when we were walking.
    As he seated us, he looked at me and said, "Mrs. M?," and he gave me a big hug.
    It was one of my all time favorite students. I had both him and his sister for 2 years, looping from 6th to 7th grade. I was very close to his mom. I knew his family (grandfather and uncle) owned a couple of tapas places, but I never thought I might see him. He's starting his junior year at Northeastern U and his sister is about to start college at the university I just got my master's from.
    This was one of the best post "teacher moments" I have ever had.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Just had to tell you guys about this. We went to see the highly informal "Deathing World Championship" yesterday (38 Norwegians, 1 Dane, 1 Swede) at Oslos largest swimming pool. It was hilarious. Death diving is a "sport" I assume young men all over the world practice, but here they've defined it as: diving or jumping in a spread-eagled position, belly down, and going into a tuck before hitting the water. Style points are given for speed, height, fearlessness, lateness of tuck and cool tricks along the way of course. And as they will freely admit, this is a really a championship in showing off and impressing the girls

Check out the short video from the local newspaper:
    http://www.aftenposten.no/webtv/--Do...e-6847020.html

Or the really very nice official video from last year's - not completely SFW:
    http://vimeo.com/28152824
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

The year I lived in Norway, I remember thinking that the boys went completely bananas in the springtime. Looks like maybe that hasn't changed!
    (What did that one guy stick in his pants?)
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.