Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1012 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 125129129621002100810091010101110121013101410151016102210621112 ... LastLast
Results 15,166 to 15,180 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

If you can't enjoy an incredibly delicious homemade morsel e very now and then, what is the point of all the exercise and biking?

Our indulgence last week was a Moroccan chicken and raisin tangine with pine nuts. As you say, higher in fat but at least it was olive oil, so....... Plus we ha ve another meals worth in the freezer that will be e ven better in a few weeks.

An occasional indulgence meal and an occasional beer are my motivations for two hours a day six days a week.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Because I don't have the time to exercise 2 hours a day, everyday. I do indulge sometimes, but, I don't like taking the whole next week getting the pounds off.
    Even on the weekends, we often choose to do 30-40 mile rides as opposed to 50-100. I've found that when I start riding that much all of the time, I get burned out, as well as needing a lot of recovery time. It's not that I never ride that much, but I'm sort of more into a moderation stage. I mean, most people think I'm nuts because I exercise 6 days a week.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Because I don't have the time to exercise 2 hours a day, everyday. I do indulge sometimes, but, I don't like taking the whole next week getting the pounds off.
    Even on the weekends, we often choose to do 30-40 mile rides as opposed to 50-100. I've found that when I start riding that much all of the time, I get burned out, as well as needing a lot of recovery time. It's not that I never ride that much, but I'm sort of more into a moderation stage. I mean, most people think I'm nuts because I exercise 6 days a week.
    At the age of 13, I sort of randomly decided to go on a diet. I wasn't fat at the time so I'm not sure what prompted it, but it set in motion a habit of calorie restriction and disordered eating that would haunt me well into adulthood. I never got thin enough to be labeled as "anorexic," but I rarely ate a meal without some degree of anxiety, and my exercise routine was largely driven by the desire to burn calories.

When I started riding in 2006, I finally started to have a healthier relationship with food and exercise. Food was the fuel I needed to be active and energectic. I'm happy to say that I haven't falled into my old habits since then. I've lost a few pounds and gained a few pounds in that time, but I've always gotten back to my set-point. While exercise is definitely important to me as a means to control my weight, it is not my primary motivation. So, while I realize not everyone can freely indulge (and I don't and can't either), I'm happy to be at a place in my life where I can have a rich meal without guilt. I'll take that over my old hyper-vigilance any day.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Well, I'm not anorexic , but I am resetting
    my set point... a whole 2 lbs. And I feel a lot better with the change in my eating habits. I cook and go out to eat a lot. If I didn't manage what goes into my mouth, it would not be nice. I just can't exercise as hard or long as some.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Well, I'm not anorexic , but I am resetting
    my set point... a whole 2 lbs. And I feel a lot better with the change in my eating habits. I cook and go out to eat a lot. If I didn't manage what goes into my mouth, it would not be nice. I just can't exercise as hard or long as some.
    Certainly, I wasn't implying your are anorexic. I was just speaking about my own experience and why it's a positive thing in my life to be able to eat a rich meal without guilt. I fully appreciate that others among us have to make different choices or choose to make different choices. None of us should have to defend those choices, and I'm not asking that you do.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I got it from her Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. PM me if you can't find it. It's yummy, but you really do need to let it simmer for at least three hours.
    I've got that one. Thanks for narrowing down the search and for your advice on a lengthy simmer. That's why the serious cooking only happens on weekends, and when the weather's bad for cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Yeah, it's really the fat content that is a little scary. It has whole milk in it, too, on top of ground chuck and ground pork (I used Marcella Hazan's recipe) The upside is that the sauce goes a long way as you don't drench the pasta in it, and a small portion is satisfying.

Plus, did I mention it was really good? There's something very satisfying about watching simple ingredients transform themselves into something special after hours on the stove.
    In my house it is known as The Spaghetti Sauce Everybody Likes. I started making it when my kids were small, and up until my husband had a heart attack, I made it with all the ground beef & pork & cream etc. Now, I make it with lean ground turkey, and 1% milk.

I have gotten use to the low fat versions of food. I use to love kielbasa, boy was it good!, but I hadn't had it in years because of the household dietary changes. Last summer at a bbq, someone brought kielbasa and, yum!, I grabbed a piece - took a bite and yuck! could not eat it - it was sooo greasy.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Exactly. It's been so long since I ate like that. I knew if I ordered it in a restaurant, I'd feel sick the next day, even if I only ate part. I'd be more likely to make it at home, where I could modify the recipe.
    Every summer DH and I start craving onion rings. Then we actually go and eat them, and feel horribly ill for a few hours. You'd think we'd learn.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Ha. I might eat onion rings once every two years but I guess I eat enough other fried stuff (french fries three or four times a year, falafel every couple of months) that the onion rings don't bother me. So much for eating healthy.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I couldn't find the thread where we were discussing very small houses. But isn't this:
    http://podhouse.ch/
    one of the cutest chalets/cabins you've ever seen?

It appeals to me enormously, even though it's lacking about a zillion of the practical details I'd need irl. I guess it's more of a comfy alternative to a tent, rather than a real cabin. Apart from the fact that you can't lug it into the wilds, but have to stick to camping grounds and other places with road access. *sigh*

But it's so cute!

(darn, the link seems to be dead. This is the newspaper article I found it on:
    http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/02/10/t...olig/20162646/ )
    Last edited by lph; 02-10-2012 at 02:36 AM.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

...and we have yet another spammer tactic - picking out pieces of other peoples old posts and re-posting them. Hadn't seen that one before. I thought it sounded familiar...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Thread title poetry:
    Weekend rides?
    Sooo good!
    Help...I fell off my bike!!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I couldn't find the thread where we were discussing very small houses ...
    I could not either but that house is nice. Speaking of small houses I had 4 people see my condo Friday and Saturday. Next is to see if they like it and qualify based on credit etc. Meanwhile back to packing.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

OK, just looking for an opinion here. This is regarding my slightly "unbalanced" friend. The one whose Facebook posts annoyed me.
    We went out with her and her DH on Sat. It was OK, apart from the fact she loudly told our server,"No, we are not going to the show at the club across the street, because we are too old to stay out late ." But, the next day, we were out with DS and DIL. When we mentioned we had been out with my friend, my DIL told me that the last time they were at our house for a holiday, my friend cornered her and started telling her that she needed to "seriously rethink her ideas about her career if she has a baby, you know you have to be home for when they get home, like I did... my husband travelled and I always had to be there..." OK, now I am long past the mommy wars stage and I know she is saying this to justify her own choices. In fact, she still "stays home," despite the fact her son is long out of the house.
    I feel that when she starts lecturing a member of my family about personal life choices, she has crossed a boundary. I asked my DIL if she knew that my friend had issues, and she said yes. I also asked if she knew what my friend said is just not true and it's a personal decision. Then, I looked at my son and asked him if he felt like he was "f***ed up" because I worked. His response was that he felt he had a lot of attention from both me and my DH, despite the fact I worked and DH travelled, being gone Monday-Thursday every week, when he was little, just like my friend's husband.
    Should I say something, or is it just not worth it?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

OK, just looking for an opinion here. This is regarding my slightly "unbalanced" friend. The one whose Facebook posts annoyed me.
    We went out with her and her DH on Sat. It was OK, apart from the fact she loudly told our server,"No, we are not going to the show at the club across the street, because we are too old to stay out late ." But, the next day, we were out with DS and DIL. When we mentioned we had been out with my friend, my DIL told me that the last time they were at our house for a holiday, my friend cornered her and started telling her that she needed to "seriously rethink her ideas about her career if she has a baby, you know you have to be home for when they get home, like I did... my husband travelled and I always had to be there..." OK, now I am long past the mommy wars stage and I know she is saying this to justify her own choices. In fact, she still "stays home," despite the fact her son is long out of the house.
    I feel that when she starts lecturing a member of my family about personal life choices, she has crossed a boundary. I asked my DIL if she knew that my friend had issues, and she said yes. I also asked if she knew what my friend said is just not true and it's a personal decision. Then, I looked at my son and asked him if he felt like he was "f***ed up" because I worked. His response was that he felt he had a lot of attention from both me and my DH, despite the fact I worked and DH travelled, being gone Monday-Thursday every week, when he was little, just like my friend's husband.
    Should I say something, or is it just not worth it?
    While I agree that she crossed a line, I don't think it's worth saying something about it. If she is doing it to justify her own choices, it's not going to make any difference.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...