Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WSD...Does it really make a difference?

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is my second year riding and the hybrid just isn't cutting it anymore. I have been leaning towards the Trek 1500 WSD but I can get a killer deal on a carbon frame Fuji TeamPro. The only catch with the Fuji is that I won't have the opportunity to ride it before I order it. Not such a good deal if it doesn't fit.

So... do the WSD bikes really prove a better ride for the ladies? And is the TeamPro a good bike?

Thanks so much for the help!!!!

Is the Fiji killer deal so killer that you can re-sell without a loss if it doesn't work out?

Can you go ride _any_ carbon frame to see it you like carbon?

I have the WSD 2100, and have been very happy with it. I bought it without trying it first- just got lucky, I guess.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Smile

if wsd bikes didn't exist, then my choice would be very limited. Though to be fair, it's not that big a choice as it is!

I'm 5ft 2" with 31" inside leg. I need a shorter top tube, and this is what wsd bikes cater for. My legs are 2" longer than those of my 6ft tall husband. If i sit on his 16" bike there is no way I can reach the handlebars. My 12 year old daughter is currently 4ft 10" with 30" inside leg - she's 'borrows' my juliana cl (borrows as in jooly is now refered to as 'her' bike!)

If you are over 5ft 5" then you have a big choice, most generic bikes will come in a frame size that can be tweaked with stem and seatpost layback to provide a good fit.

This is my experience anyway

There are a number of other threads around here on WSD (I'm not sure how to link them to this), so try doing a search.

It really all comes down to what feels right once you are on the bike. I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam and WSD seemed to work for me. I would definitely try to ride as many bikes as you can. I just bought my first road bike (coming from riding a hybrid as you are) and I tried to test out a diversity of frames. For me the Pilot 2.1 WSD (which has more carbon and different geometry) had a more comfy ride than the 1500 WSD and had an overall different feel. I don't have any experience with the Fuji, so I can't comment there. However, there was a huge difference in the feel of the 1500 WSD and the Giant TCR2. Totally different feel - with similar frames and components. So, ride whatever you can, don't limit yourself to 2 models, and do (like Nanci said) at least try a carbon frame before buying the Fuji. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Like everyone else has said, if you are short WSD really will make a difference. Polly's explanation is what the LSB told my husband when he was thinking WSD wasn't necessary (I was green and thought a woman needs WSD).

I am hoping to buy a new bike next year and I won't buy without riding. It is too expensive an investment to buy blind. I look at it like a car, I would buy one without test driving.

Or a pair of shoes, or a bra, or a partner :-)

Is there someway that you can get fitted first? I thought I would end up with a WSD Cannondale, but when they set me up on the test bike and used the angles that the WSD C'dale would have, it just didn't work for me. I ended up with a 50 cm R600 -- non WSD.

if wsd didn't exist.... i'd have a hard time finding a bike that fit! even on my wsd (ruby pro) i had to shorten the stem! i have longer legs/shorter torso.... so i NEED wsd!

as far as other gear... my current shoes and helmet are men's versions (by choice.. as i wanted a black helmet and specialized carbon fiber shoes..)

I have a Fuji WSD (2004 Fuji Newest WSD), and yes, it really makes a difference. The smaller handlebars, shorter top tube, and shorter reach to the brake leveres, really make a difference to me. But, it might not make a difference to you.

The Team Pro is a great bike! But not so great if it doesn't fit you. Is there any way you could test ride another Fuji with similar geometry? If you cannot, I would go with the "sure thing" and not with the "maybe." But if you can...it might be worth it.

what's WSD?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquita
    T
    Trek 1500 WSD but I can get a killer deal on a carbon frame Fuji TeamPro.
    So... do the WSD bikes really prove a better ride for the ladies?

Thanks so much for the help!!!!
    I'm not a new rider but very new on this forum. There are a lot of acronyms that i have never heard of. what's WSD?

thanks

Women Specifc Design - usually involves stuff like shorter top tubes, narrower bars with a shallower drop, brake levers adjusted for shorter reach, a woman's saddle, frame tubing may be manipulated for a lighter rider, etc. Therefore, it can mean changes to the components only or it can also involve frame design.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Women's specific design - it's a different geometry. WSD bikes typically have a shorter top tube which reduces the reach. It all comes down to how you are shaped. Height alone doesn't seem to matter.

edit: OK SadieKate posted at the same time and she gave a much better explanation than I did. I tried.

Quote Originally Posted by fishdr
    It all comes down to how you are shaped. Height alone doesn't seem to matter.
    But this is a very good point.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Thanks Now I feel less dorkful

OK.... so.... I'm pretty average in proportion for a woman except that I am very tall. I read about and considered the advantages of WSD, but I wound up getting a non-WSD bike. I found that, at 6'1", I could not find one large enough!
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)