Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am short (5ft 3in). My legs are shorter than my torso. WSD doesn't work for me. I need the longer top tube. If the LBS has another fuji with similar/same geometry and set up--test ride to see if it will work.

what it boils down to: is the fit of the bike. Many of us find that WSD fits and some of us have found that it doesn't.

Question What To Buy? What To Buy?

I am new to biking---I bought a bike 3 months ago just to ride with a friend--had no idea what i was doing--probably still don't. I bought a hybrid--but I already know I want a road bike. I am test riding this week---plan to buy by end of week. I am 5'6'',31'' inseam. I have test ridden a Fuji-Finest, Newest,Absolute, and Roubaix...Love the Roubaix.
    I have test driven the Giant OCR -for women--only thing I liked better than the Fuji Roubaix was the seat. I plan to test ride the Specialized Dolce and a Cannondale before I buy. LBS is holding the Fuji Roubaix for me. What do you experienced riders think?
    Next---I have already bought and been trying to use clipless peddles (Shimano 540) I am having trouble with getting the right spring setting--they seem hard to get out of for me--I seem to have terrible trouble turning my foot to slip out. Should I switch to the Speedplay Frogs or something else. All these decisions just to ride a bike!!!!!!
    I ride with a group of 5 new women riders--we ride between 20 and 30 miles at a time. Plan to ride a 40 mile fundraiser this Sunday.
    B-B:
    Last edited by Bikechick B; 05-03-2006 at 06:46 PM.

WSD components on new bikes?

Hope this question fits this thread...

What kind of luck is anyone out there having with LBS's swapping out some WSD components on men's bikes?

I don't need a WSD frame, but I have tiny hands and would like lower gearing out of the box, and I do need shallow bars, shorter stem, WSD saddle, etc. I'm starting to wonder if I need to look to a custom for the next bike, because I also seem to want gearing that is not standard.

Curious if anyone has a LBS that will order a men's bike, but put some WSD components on without lots of upcharge?

Thanks!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

WSD and the Tall Girl

As a stunning 6+ footer I have been doing a lot of thinking (but not yet test riding) involving WSD. I am must curious to know what any other possible tall riders have discovered in their quest for a great fitting bike (Hipgnosis6--this means you). I am long legged at about ~35 inch inseam but feel I am about as average as a six footer can get in the other areas.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Scott Contessa CR1 or Contessa Speedster? I am leaning heavily toward Scott because I can get a pretty good price on their bikes courtesy of my "2nd fun job" but cannot test the WSD bikes because we only actually carry the mens. Have not yet made it so far as to shop for other local sellers.

Starfish, I'm not sure if all LBS are willing to put the same amount of effort into the right fit but mine offered.

When I bought my road bike I wasn't sure if I'd prefer the WSD or regular. I'm 5'4" with a 30" inseam so I could have went either way. They did not have a WSD in stock in my size and the factory (Trek) was behind in production and I really wanted my bike right away. They said that they would switch out any of the components if I didn't feel comfortable with the regular setup. Fortunately I loved everything about the bike and didn't need any changes, but it was nice to know if I did, they were willing to do what they could.

I just (two days ago) bought a scott contessa roadster road bike -wsd. I was all set to buy a bianchi imola (in the smallest available size)(really liked the steel, components, ride etc) - I had spent about a month riding various bikes - wsd and non wsd - all brands - I was leaning towards either bianchi (although I did not like eros donna) or trek pilot 2.1 wsd and I spent three hours at shop on Tuesday riding the scott and the bianchi - lbs was very good - changed out stem for me many times on bianchi (I think i tried every one in the shop) for me (middle aged, almost 5'2, fire hydrant build). During the fitting of the bianch -it became clear that the reach was just too long - lbs noticed it - tried some things, nothing worked - then I got on the scott and it was immediately apparent it was a better fit for me. Lbs guy even said he had always though wsd was more a marketing ploy but that he could tell before final adjustments fit was better for me. My main complaint is the stupid paint jobs on many wsds - even the one I got has got some swirly things on it - although it is at least grey in color so it doesn't look quite so goofy. I was irritated at pink, pastels, and flowers on a lot of the bikes (not that if it is what you want it is bad - I just hate the lack of choice and assumption that all women want bikes that look "girly")

SJCzar: Thanks for the info on your LBS's effort. At least if I go shopping around, I'll know that some shops will really go to that extent, and that it isn't crazy to ask.

FarrellCollie: I am so with you on the choices with WSD (colors, etc.). There are some that I think are really cute, and others that make me barf. I had an online conversation with a guy at Litespeed about that. He was very polite and commiserated, but their Bella (I think?) came only in pink. I suggested that if they were only going to offer one color, maybe it could be a more universally appealing choice? I don't intend to offend anyone who rides a pink bike -- some of them are cool! I guess I just *sigh* when it is assumed that I will want a pink bike just because I'm a woman.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by gibnutlover
    As a stunning 6+ footer I have been doing a lot of thinking (but not yet test riding) involving WSD. I am must curious to know what any other possible tall riders have discovered in their quest for a great fitting bike (Hipgnosis6--this means you). I am long legged at about ~35 inch inseam but feel I am about as average as a six footer can get in the other areas.
    I have a 34" inseam. I picked a hybrid, though now I wish I'd gone ahead and gotten a road bike. It's the equivalent of about a 55cm frame, and we adjusted the seat forward slightly. I have notably long arms so reach was not a big problem for me, especially since the bike has a flat bar. Part of my motivation for choosing the Specialized Sirrus is that the geometry is very close to a road bike's and in theory it can be "converted" to a road bike by a stem and handlebar change when I'm ready for it. Or so says the guy at the LBS....

I'm a very new rider and have found that a women's specific seat is probably going to make my hobby a lot more fun - the stock seat on the bike is OK for neighborhood trips, but if I try to ride for more than 20 minutes in a stretch, the saddle kind of.... falls in, if you catch my drift.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

i'm right there with you on the pink road bikes! i'm SOOOOO glad that specialized at least did the ruby in a black cherry/ruby red and not pink! cuz if it were pink... i don't know that i would have bought it... (i did a lot of thinking about if i even wanted the red! fortunately it's a nice color and not uber girlie! phew!

i don't like flowers on my jerseys either... now i don't mind pink clothing... as long as it's NOT flowers! sometime i wonder where they get their design ideas from...????

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish
    Hope this question fits this thread...

What kind of luck is anyone out there having with LBS's swapping out some WSD components on men's bikes?

One of the shops I went to was very willing to swap components - and even had a lemond big sky sl that had been fitted with small handlebars and brakes etc. I rode it twice along with a trek 2.1 pilot wsd (where shop also changed stem for my test ride) - so there are shops willing to do it. The shop where I bought my scott said they would be willing to do it but to try it with the original equip first because - for me coming from hybrid -and after fitting me on scott - which made an enormous difference( even compared to trek and lemond where shop had adjusted several things for me) it might be difference in riding style - I agreed and so far (two days) so good.

I admit that the trek pilot's black with pink writing did nothing but make me want to find a different bike - so I was quite thrilled when scott felt better to me.
    Last edited by farrellcollie; 05-05-2006 at 09:30 AM.

I totally agree with some of the color choices in the WSD's. I went to a big sale that one of the local LBS was having and my bike shop buddy was all excited to show me one of the new Trek WSD's. I couldn't believe that he actually thought I would love that ugly shade of pink. I'm not a pink hater, but the whole bike done in that particular shade was really annoying looking.

I just had the opportunity to fill out a questionnaire from a bike catalog. Most of the options were multiple choice about service, but one question with space for text answer was, "What one thing would you most like to see different?" or something. I said that I would like them to pressure the manufacturers to increase choice and substantive design differences in women's bikes, equipment, components and clothes. I said that I wanted to take women's cycling from niche market to 1/2-the-population market, and that I would like more differences of substance, rather than marketing.

My hat is off to the companies who are making real change in their mass market products. We have a long way to go before we can open a catalog and find 1/2 the stuff made for us, including broad choices in sizing and design.

OK -- end of rant!! ;-)

I just want to add, too, that I DO love a lot of girlie stuff! Sometimes, and in some stuff, I DO want pink, flowers, whatever! I just want as many choices as the men have, I guess.

I just bought a Trek5000 WSD and it came in Iris blue (the LBS was calling the pink color - that pepto bismol bike...) I shopped around - this LBS would swap anything out for me for very little extra cost. It came with a triple crankset which I had them swap for a ultegra double compact50/36 for $20. (and then swapped out the cassette and shifters) I test rode the triples and didn't like the way they shifted. I upgraded my wheelset, also-- I got the Bontrager racelites for $150 (I really like them!! woo hoo) When they fit the bike, they put on a different stem (I have short arms) for free. I am very happy with the WSD shifters and brakes - I can reach everything - I have small hands. I couldn't even reach the brakes on the drops of my Specialized.

Anyway, I'm happy with the WSD and the LBS. (Most of the shops I checked with would have charged me full price for all the upgrades). It wasn't a totally custom bike, but it was close and for a price that was close to the original price. Ask for free stuff - they should throw in a pair of cages, install your computer, your light, etc.
    "If I weren't the maid, I'd fire me."

I once heard this phrase to describe WSD for just about every outdoor gear product "Shrink it and pink it". Oh how true, although manufacturers are getting much better about actually making things for us, not just cut down man-products.

Thanks for tall/scott answers!