Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Cycling Shoes & Clipless Pedals

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm fairly new -- bought my first road bike about 2 months ago -- and today, I bought Specialized cycling shoes & Look 357 clipless pedals. I'm just sharing this because my first time trying to unclip was hilarious. I decided to try them out riding up my driveway and into the grass in my backyard. Well, the first time my bike was almost at a standstill before I got my left clip out. I don't know why I was trying the left side -- I'm very left side uncoordinated. I think that was just the side I was used to coming out of first with straps. Anyway, the next 8 times I tried, I popped my right foot out first. I can do that quite easily. I hope I don't feel scared to death doing my ride out on the road tomorrow!

I'm training to do a MS-150 ride in September. Did my first 30 mile ride this weekend. I'm following a training schedule & the long ride is going to go up by 8 miles each week.

Anyway, I'm sure I was great entertainment for my neighbor that lives behind me. He does Iron Man competitions. LOL

Oh man I feel your pain!! I thought I was okay with mine, but tonight I got too close to the curb to let some guy pass me - he was just riding behind me and wouldn't go around....I made the mistake of giving up the road and riding on the edge of the curb. I'm very very new at this so I wabbled and I knew I was about to fall but I couldn't stop it!

I fell right onto the grass!! THEN I got my feet out of the pedels. There was a guy walking his toddler and a dog right in front of me. All I heard was the kid say "uh oh!" at the top of his lungs! The poor man was doing his best not to laugh at me!!!

Tell me this gets easier!

LOL, I'm trying mine out on the real road tomorrow. Hope if that happens to me, I end up in the grass.

It shouldn't be so hard to clip out. If this were normal the company would have been out of business long ago. Take the shoes and pedals to you LBS and get them checked out.

Veronica

Mine's easy to clip out on the right side. I really am left side deficient. I can't do anything on my left side. I guess it's no problem if I can get out on the right. I can get the left side out once I have my right foot on the ground.

By the way, I just read something about cleat covers. Do you guys use those?

I always clip out on the right foot - no idea why, just always have.

You can definitely get the pedal clip bit (very technical here) loosened. I did this because I kept on not clipping out and fell on my left elbow 3 times! My god it hurt .

Keep perservering though cause they do make such a difference especially on hills and longer rides.

Cheers
    Vic
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

Thanks, Vic. I can clip out of the right side easy. I fell this morning even after clipping out of the right side because I leaned left and couldn't get the left foot out. LOL

hibiscus09,

The very first day I had my bike I ripped up the seat and scratched the front shifter because I couldn't get my feet out! Got nice road rash on my knee and wierd bruises on my bum but I was most hurt that my bike was all scraped up!!! I haven't even looked to see what I did to it last night! I ride circles around the street in front of my house pulling my feet in and out of the pedals!! I know they think I'm crazy!!

LOL, Grasshopper. You sound like you're braver than I am! I'm doing these learning tests either in the cul de sac in front of my house or in my backyard. 3 falls so far!! LOL

This sounds so familiar - I did lots of circuits around the (quiet) streets of my house.

I'm okay when it's quiet its just when you get in the situation where I'm in traffic and thinking of other things or when I don't clip out because I want to make a fast gettaway and I think the lights are going to change. Arrrggghhhh!

Victoria
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

I've fallen 2 more times. I feel like I'm playing roller derby or something. My hubby just loosened the left pedal & I've popped it out 3 out of 4 times successfully. Going to go beat myself up some more.

Did you see the post that Irulan made on another thread that sometimes the pedals can use a drop of oil. I know NOTHING about pedals - just thought I'd tell you I saw it.

Good luck!! Don't give up!!! I'm heading out today to ride up and down the one hill in my neighborhood! If the circles in front of my house didn't get them - this might do the trick

LOL, have fun on your hill. Yes, I saw Irulan's post. I'm also wondering if I can ride on these clipless pedals in my tennis shoes since I'm not brave enough to out around cars in the clipless yet. I would like to still get in my training rides.

It just shouldn't be that hard to unclip! Take the pedals to your shop and have them checked out. I'm betting a lot of your problems stem from not being able to unclip fast enough on the side you are used to putting your foot down on. If you've always put your left foot down, it's going to be hard to unlearn that!

I've been riding clipess for 4 years now, and have yet to fall because of the pedals (knocking wood like crazy! ). I ride with the right pedal really loose, because I have a bad left knee and I never, ever, ever want to land on that side! In an emergency, my right foot will pop right out.

My advice is, do NOT attempt to ride in traffic until you master the clipless pedals.
    A goal is a dream with a deadline