Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi - let me say up front, I am a guy.

I'm on the TE mailing list to pass on information, tips, etc. from this great site to people in my class - I'm a certified Spinning instructor, and I teach at woman-only club in Colorado. I'm also studying to be a USA Cycling coach.

With that said, I hope I'm not intruding. I hope I can help.

First, ignore that idiot who knocked your speed. Remember this - everyone was an absolute beginner at some point. He'll get his - karma comes around. I believe it's your duty as a human to help people improve, and not make anyone feel bad for trying something new.

To get used to your pedals, ride on a grass field and clip in and out a lot. If you fall, it won't hurt (as much). The big difference between clipless pedals on a mountain bike vs. a road bike is how frequently you get in and out of your pedals. On a mountain bike, you might get in and out 20, 30 times per ride, so you get proficient, fast. On a great road ride, hopefully you keep going and going, and you just don't clip out as often. I've actually forgotten and crashed into my own car. You just need practice.

On your group rides, as long as you don't lock up your brakes, or overlap your front wheel with the rear wheel of the rider in front of you, you will be just fine. Soon enough, you will be able to ride so close to someone you can check the time on their watch - and grab a drink.

I would ask why you want to stand - as a few others have mentioned, you should use your gears and keep your cadence high (80-100 rpm). The easiest gear combination is smallest chainring up front, biggest cog in the back.

Spinning was also mentioned - but here's how to do it: in that grass field again, shift to an easy gear combination. Click in to your pedals, and as your left foot reaches the bottom of the stroke, pretend you're trying to "scrape the gum", as Angie mentioned, off the bottom of your shoe. Repeat on your right leg. If you do it right, you'll feel it in your hamstrings. As you get stronger, you will be able to push down on your right leg, and pull with your left (and vice versa).

I would also recommend yoga, for 2 reasons. It will help alleviate the tightening of your legs due to the riding and make you more flexible, and it will increase your dynamic leg strength. Also consider weight training (moderate weight with higher reps) for your lower body.

Lastly, find a Spinning class. It's a safe environment - you won't fall, no cars, potholes, etc., and it will really improve your climbing ability.

Hope that helps, and thanks for reading. Again, I apologize if this is viewed as an intrusion.

I've been riding for 20+ years and 18-19mph was the most I could ever do in a flat time-trial type ride. Everyone is different. If you've started out at nearly 15, you probably have the potential to do 20 or more mph, but it could take you a couple of years to get there. Or, if you are related to Greg LeMond in any way, you might win your first race!

Thanks!!

No Mattster, I don't see your post as an intrusion. What you are doing is great! Good luck with it.

I actually went back to my gym yesterday and asked for the clips for their stationary bikes (they were all getting tossed in the floor because no one like using them - imagine that!) anyway, I rode one legged - alternating legs and tried to keep the same pace. Found out my left leg is a lot less coordinated than my right - much stronger but no coordination! - I think I'll work on that bit some more it really made me see how you "spin."

I needed it too. My BF sent me on a road ride that he said was flat - well it was traffic ridden and had two hills so big I had to walk up them!! It was a little defeating but I feel much better after riding for an hour at my gym yesterday!! I'm going out again today!!

Again, thanks to everyone! It's so nice to have experience at your fingertips when you need it!

Grasshopper, too bad you don't live in South Carolina. We could learn together!

I would also recommend yoga, for 2 reasons. It will help alleviate the tightening of your legs due to the riding and make you more flexible, and it will increase your dynamic leg strength. Also consider weight training (moderate weight with higher reps) for your lower body.

I think that's a great idea. I'm going to sign up for Yoga classes to keep myself limber. I already do the weightlifting & I just think it's very important to stretch and stay limber.

I know! It would be nice to have a learning partner!! I use to do yoga regularly but I stopped somewhere along the way. I can see how it would do wonders for cycling though - I'll have to dust off my matt and my tapes

wow, all the posts are good - really helpful for us newbies.

Hey Grasshopper, since you mentioned falling over on the bike I felt like sharing this one: I started riding last year when my little boy said "c'mon mom and ride with me." I knew nothing about when or why to change gears. Had those 'rat trap' things that hold your foot to the pedal. Anyway, we're going down the road and come to the point where we turn around and my neighbor is out mowing. I learned I couldn't turn and wave at the same time and down I went....But it was the start of something great, because I discovered I really loved cycling! Now I'm a committed commuter and love endurance riding. I've got the great legs and goofy tan lines that go with it (hee hee).

Really, though it's soooo good to hear your commitment to this new challenge before you. And, isn't this a good place for support and advice you can put to use from folks who have "been there"?

Love to hear more about your progress!

Chrisanna
    Chrisanna

Yoga is a fantastic adjunct to cycling! I found that I learned body awareness that I easily transferred to my cycling. For example, next time you're on a long flat, realize that your movement originates in the hip - not the knee or ankle. Concentrate on making that your pivotal point in your stroke and pedaling in circles. It smoothed out my pedaling and made me stronger. Caveat - you WILL feel it in your hips.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid