Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Can someone explain...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got my new road bike on Friday and had to take it on it's inaugaral ride. My husband and I rode 83+ miles on the W&OD in Virginia into DC and back. I weighed myself yesterday morning and then I weighed myself this morning - only to find a 1.8 lb increase in weight! I am about 25 lbs overweight and have been careful to watch my diet (I go to WeightWatchers) and have been slowly, but steadily losing weight (about 0.7-1.0 lbs/week). I hydrated well with water and Cytomax for the ride, ate a banana, Clif Bar, and a tuna salad wrap. Any explanations out there - I don't feel as though I am retaining and water.
    Thanks!

Wow that was a great long ride! Often times if you are jsut starting back to exercise, you can gain a few lbs in the first week or two. It comes off prety easily after that. It happened to me when I first started weight training. I knew it wasn't muscle wieght yet. I RAN to my gym teacher/coach and she told me not to worry, it was common and she was right!

I have been told in the past never to weigh on a daily basis. That you should only weigh once a week, especially for women, due to the retaining water issue. It could be you drank so much water to maintain hydration on your ride that the extra poundage is water weight. I don't think you have to always feel bloated when you’re retaining water but everyone is different. That's an awesome ride though!

Jessica

I highly suspect that either 1) it's muscle or 2) you're better hydrated than you usually are (not that you're retaining water, but that you're normally on the dehydrated side of normal...)

I certainly wouldn't worry about it - I frequently gain weight on the day after a longish ride. It does go away. To add insult to injury, my jeans are usually *tighter* around the stomach - something about the position on the bike or ??? Who knows - it too goes away. It sounds like your intake was about right for a ride of that length - I certainly don't think you over did the food side of things.

Keep pedaling - that's a heck of an inaugaral ride!!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

here's an article that was posted on one of my fitness boards: why the scale lies

Never mind the scale, put it away, and go by pants size.

And, in any way, it's not abnormal to have your weight vary about 3 lbs from day to day. Don't sweat it. And you want to remain really hydrated. Which is another reason to kick out the scale. I mean, of course you could loose five pounds if you stopped drinking immediately. But so what??

Furthermore, at what you call "25 lbs overweight", you may actually not loose weight, but just convert some wiggly sections into nicely firm ones, and feel (and look!) fabulous! Muscle is much heavier than fat. I can't say it enough: leave the scale. And jump on that bike!!!!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Grog; 04-10-2006 at 09:08 AM.

I usually notice weight loss, when I am riding tons, especially on weekends, _and_ restricting calories, a few days after the big ride- like Wednesday or even Thursday. Don't know why, but that has been pretty consistant for me for months.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

I also go to WW and asked my leader about this. I do a 2 day 192-mi ride in August and every year the week after the ride I'm up. She's explained it to me that my body is in kind of "shock" from all the miles and it is in "protection" mode storing fat and water. The second week after the ride I'm back down and continuing on a downward path for the Fall.

I did ok losing weight after I first started riding for about 4 years, then couldn't seem to budge the weight. I then joined WW and did well the first year plus feel I am eating a lot better. I have been in a holding pattern now for about 2 years. I haven't reached goal but have been within 1-2 lbs several times but am most of the time about 4-6 lbs from goal.

Maureen

yup.... pretty normal! I am a lifetime WW and also GAIN weight for a couple days after every century... I know it's all related to water retention... don't worry, it'll come back off! How was the new bike? you did 83 miles so I'm assuming it must've been great!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Quote Originally Posted by corrine
    My husband and I rode 83+ miles on the W&OD in Virginia into DC and back. I weighed myself yesterday morning and then I weighed myself this morning - only to find a 1.8 lb increase in weight! ....Any explanations out there - I don't feel as though I am retaining and water.
    Thanks!
    Since you just rode 83 miles (that's a lot!), your tissues are inflamed due to tissue injury and part of that inflammation involves retaining fluid. This will always happen after a heavy workout, and if 83 miles is a lot more than you usually do, you may notice it even more.

It sounds like you're well on your way to some serious weight loss, and like Nanci said, the effects are completely temporary. If you rest a few days and stick to the diet, you should lose that 1.8 pounds and a little more. Then again... you have a new bike... better to ride it as often as possible and just deal with the water weight!

Good luck with the weight loss, and 'gratz on the new bike!

~ Cari

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cari
    Since you just rode 83 miles (that's a lot!), your tissues are inflamed due to tissue injury and part of that inflammation involves retaining fluid. This will always happen after a heavy workout, and if 83 miles is a lot more than you usually do, you may notice it even more.

It sounds like you're well on your way to some serious weight loss, and like Nanci said, the effects are completely temporary. If you rest a few days and stick to the diet, you should lose that 1.8 pounds and a little more. Then again... you have a new bike... better to ride it as often as possible and just deal with the water weight!

Good luck with the weight loss, and 'gratz on the new bike!

~ Cari
    I just came back from my WW meeting and one of the receptionists just said the same thing. She used to do the 25 mile walk-a-thons and for a few days after the great exertion she used to weigh more too and she said the same thing you did. I just like to have an explanation. I wasn't truly freaked out about the gain - figured it had something to do with water, but I am sore and feel like I really worked harder than I have before (and I have ridden this kind of mileage before - just been many months). I know I worked harder on this bike - something to do with an attitude change in me going from my hybrid to a road bike. It was an awesome ride and can't wait to get back out again (as soon as my tushie is a touch less sore). Thanks again everyone!

I second what Corrine and Cari said. Muscles inflame... they really do! Check out a marathoner's legs a day or two after the big run. Whoa! Think of inflammation like a construction crew. Lots of stuff going on, extra traffic, and congestion as houses are repaired and constructed (building muscle fibers) but when the crew leaves you have a quiet neighborhood again (sleek and stronger muscles).

That's why guys who pop ibuprofen everytime they work out just can't seem to build muscle - they've shut off the inflammation response so the construction crews never get to do their job.