Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

How neat! We see lots of critters too. Of course, we are passing lots of fields with horses, goats and cows in them. We have seen lots of Whitetail deer. A ground hog. 'Possum. Snakes. Lots of turkey vultures and hawks. Birds of every variety. Do the dogs that chase us count? LOL

birdie

I'm not sure what was up with the green bird-either a ringneck or a rainbow lorikeet- I saw on the path this morning but it was just a wee bit odd...I was heading to a pedestrian overpass where normally there are heaps of these guys squacking & wandering around. One of them was sitting on the path very still but looked as if it was breathing. I stood by it for a few minutes wondering what exactly to do. I spoke to it & then thought perhaps i should touch it but decided against it as I'd no idea what it would do...

I moved on but am now wondering if this is normal for birdies..

I don't know what's normal, but it sounds odd. Those lorikeets are beautiful birds. Australia has the neatest birds.

Have you ever seen lyrebirds or bower birds?

odd

Pam, I thought that you might respond as i know you're a bird person. It was a bit odd but it was even funnier that i actually said "helloooo birdie..yooo hooo, hello.."

Lyrebirds/Bower Birds are mainly found in Tassie & South Eastern Australia http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/...ovaehollandiae

http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/...chus-violaceus

I've never seen them...

Thanks!

I was not riding when I saw this little guy/girl but it was so cute I had to post it.
    The snap was taken on a recent trip to Tasmania.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0016.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	12634  
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

My God, that IS cute, Trekhawk.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

[QUOTE=crazycanuck;556965] I'm not sure what was up with the green bird-either a ringneck or a rainbow lorikeet- I saw on the path this morning but it was just a wee bit odd...I was heading to a pedestrian overpass where normally there are heaps of these guys squacking & wandering around. One of them was sitting on the path very still but looked as if it was breathing. I stood by it for a few minutes wondering what exactly to do. I spoke to it & then thought perhaps i should touch it but decided against it as I'd no idea what it would do...

I moved on but am now wondering if this is normal for birdies..[/QUOT

He might have flown into something and was stunned for a bit. Very occasionally just this kind of thing will happen when a bird flies into a window here. They'll bounce off and just sort of sit for a while regatheriing their senses, and often end up recovering and flying away.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Pam, I thought that you might respond as i know you're a bird person. It was a bit odd but it was even funnier that i actually said "helloooo birdie..yooo hooo, hello.."
    I talk to the birds, too. It's fun. Some of them seem to pay attention -- especially monk parakeets. I would think a lorikeet might be similarly inclined. Thanks for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    I was not riding when I saw this little guy/girl but it was so cute I had to post it.
    Cute for sure! What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    Porcupine? Darling!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

e

That little creature looks like an echidna..

Salsabike, I agree & think it may have just been stunned as it was still breathing. Just a bit funny/odd for a friday morning.

All I could think of for the rest of the day was the dead parrot sketch...

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Cute for sure! What is it?
    Yep CC is right it is an Echidna.
    http://www.australianfauna.com/echidna.php
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

This afternoon we stopped at a park that is a desert oasis. There is a natural spring that feeds a large man-made pond. it's always good for wildlife, and there were quite a few ducks (Wigeon, Mallards and Ring-necked Ducks). Today we were watching a Cooper's Hawk chase a Gila Woodpecker overhead in mid-air. I have done a lot of birding over the years, and I have never witnesses such a spectacular chase scene. The hawk caught the woodpecker after a series of mid-air changes of direction.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

The Cooper's hawk chase must have been wonderful. I've watched them chase but never seen a catch.

I got very lucky with hawks today -- the juvenile (brown tail) was perched in an unusually low spot, so easy to photograph. The adult is a female who should lay eggs soon. I think she looks very thoughtful about the whole situation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8867349...th/5475300394/
    Last edited by PamNY; 02-24-2011 at 07:50 PM.