Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday's count:

1 otter. (and this in the city)

1 brood of fluffy goslings, with parents - grazing

1 goldfinch.

The usual quotient of squirrels, both black and grey.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Wow, an otter!

Catrin, you make central Indiana sound sound like animal paradise!

I searched earnestly for chipmunks in Brooklyn, but didn't find them yet. No chipmunks at all in Manhattan, which I find strange.

Our fatherless hawk family in Riverside Park is doing well. Mom hawk is getting supplemental food provided by a wildlife rehabber, and the babies are about to fledge.

Yesterday I got to see a wild turkey at close range as I rode along a rural road next to woods. He flew up to a nearby tree, but not before I'd gotten a great look at him. Sure wish I'd had a camera at the ready! Also a great blue heron, many squirrels, and smaller songbirds.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Bird stop!!

From yesterday's 35-miler, which was also an experiment in bike-n-birding. I rode with my SLR in a frontpack, small hydration pack on my back (was recovering from one of my Crohn's cramp days, so needed plenty of water). The packs and the heaps of hydration both worked. The ride passed lots of wetlands. Mostly we saw Canada Geese, Mallards and Song Sparrows ... and then I saw this guy and hollered "Bird Stop!" to Trek who was out in the lead. The heron was on the far side of a black-painted chain-link fence, which you can kind of see blurred out in the forefront.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bird stop!.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	13205  
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck on Wheels View Post
    From yesterday's 35-miler, which was also an experiment in bike-n-birding. I rode with my SLR in a frontpack, small hydration pack on my back (was recovering from one of my Crohn's cramp days, so needed plenty of water). The packs and the heaps of hydration both worked. The ride passed lots of wetlands. Mostly we saw Canada Geese, Mallards and Song Sparrows ... and then I saw this guy and hollered "Bird Stop!" to Trek who was out in the lead. The heron was on the far side of a black-painted chain-link fence, which you can kind of see blurred out in the forefront.
    NICE shot!
    Emily

Duck that is fabulous!

Saw a gigantic mama snapping turtle crossing the road on Saturday. Then another one yesterday!
    "By perseverance the snail reached the ark."

Last couple rides:
    2 goldfinches
    either an Eastern Bluebird or an Indigo Bunting. I only saw its back. I've seen bluebirds on the trail, but size- and color-wise I think it's more likely to be an indigo bunting
    A first on the trail today--rabbits. I usually see squirrels and chipmunks, but not rabbits.

Nice picture, Duck!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Dead skunk
    Dead racoon
    Dead opossum
    Dead groundhog
    Dead frog
    Dead snake

all equal BAD SMELLS

need I go on??

Quote Originally Posted by lawnchick22 View Post
    need I go on??
    Nah, maybe a different road to ride on?
    Beth

Yesterday while out exploring a new route and new adventure I found myself riding along a creek. The sun was out, skies were clear and a beautiful white tail doe was startled by my presence. She bolted and launched herself across the field she where she had been grazing. She ran diagonal to my path and the road quickly launching herself across the road and into the trees on the opposite side. She was so graceful - I felt bad about disturbing her breakfast. As I continued down this new road I was then greeted by a wild turkey hen and her clutch out for their morning walk. Momma hen took off with most of her babies quickly following except for one who decided to lay very still on the road. Momma hen was frantically calling to her babies and the last little one remained frozen on the road. I softly encouraged it to follow and within a few seconds it too high tailed it into the brush hopefully following momma hen's calls as she attempted to round up to clutch. As the trip continued I was treated to a couple of indigo buntings and numerous golden finches all decked out in their breeding plumage. I absolutely love riding in the country as there is so much to see and enjoy as one makes their way from point A to point B.
    Marcie

Oh, wild turkey and babies sounds wonderful. I would love to see the babies. How many were there, could you tell?

The fatherless hawk babies in Riverside Park fledged successfully. The supplemental feeding program is over, so Mom hawk will have to hunt enough to feed them while they are learning. Hawk parents are very attentive, so she still has the problems of any single parent, but I think they will be okay. Here are the kids just after they fledged:

http://palemale.com/june42011s.html

Here's a nifty video of Pale Male's kids (near Central Park). Much excitement over these two since Pale's eggs haven't hatched since 2004 (he has a new mate):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pViMx...embedded#at=26

Much more video and still photography of the Pale Male family is on palemale.com.

Awesome, Pam! The original Pale Male documentary is just unforgettable.
    Emily

This is not on a ride, this is in my driveway, aka known as my front yard.
    The picture looks a little blue, as it's taken through the glass. If I opened the door, they would fly away.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport