Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

sorry to say that our cars and skyscrapers kill an incredible number of wild animals. the skyscrapers with their reflective glass fool birds who fly into them by the millions and cars and trucks murder the rest.

Today on my ride i saw yet another of the tiny species of rabbit that seem to be indigenous to Puget Sound.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post

Today on my ride i saw yet another of the tiny species of rabbit that seem to be indigenous to Puget Sound.

bunny no more.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    bunny no more.
    no, this one was alive. He scampered away from me, into the black berries with his tail all puffed up.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by RolliePollie View Post
    Today's ride it was lizard tails. No lizard bodies, just tails strewn about the road.

I am thankful I didn't actually see this wildlife...

About a week ago, a lady 3 houses down let her little Pomeranian out at about 7 am. Something whooshed by and her dog disappeared. Then she saw it...a mountain lion. It took the poor dog up a tree and yes, decided to eat it. This is really gross, but there is still "evidence" up in the tree. I won't go into further detail. The mountain lion was severely punished for this and let's just say it won't be eating anyone else's dogs. I hate it when wildlife and man collide...the wildlife usually loses. But from a safety standpoint, I don't really know what else Fish & Game was supposed to do. The lion was about 50' up a cedar tree so it would've fallen to its death if they shot it with a tranquilzer. Neither the dog nor the cougar stood a chance.
    The other choice would have been to let the lion eat the dog - go on its merry way and let it try to live in peace in the neighborhood it had actually tried to live in since it's own habitat had probably been encroached upon. When you live in an area where there are lions, fox, coyotes, whatever, etc., you need to know that your pom can get eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by spokewench View Post
    The other choice would have been to let the lion eat the dog - go on its merry way and let it try to live in peace in the neighborhood it had actually tried to live in since it's own habitat had probably been encroached upon. When you live in an area where there are lions, fox, coyotes, whatever, etc., you need to know that your pom can get eaten.
    +++++
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Tired of people wanting to have wildlife killed because it interferes with their lives! Move to the downtown area then. No wildlife there. Otherwise, know that it's a possibility b/c we have taken away the land, and gotten rid of much of their normal diet. What are they supposed to do? Our population is out of control... not theirs!

On my run, I ran into some of my favorite wildlife this week.... two domestic dogs that attacked mine (who was on leash but is ok.. the other two were not on leash), and then the mighty wasp.... attacked me with no reason! Stung me right i the neck! BUT... did see a beautiful buck in the middle of the road just prior to all that nonsense!
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

I really get sad riding an seeing dead wildlife. Lately it has been armadillos, lots of them. And raccoons. The road they are on is new, used to be a tiny county road with little road kill but now it is a 4 lane behemouth.

We have been being harrassed by a door to door pest control guy wanting to kill all the bugs on our property. I told him some of them do good and he was like "Well you have a black widow, it won't do you any good and we have to kill them all to get that". We aren't using him. We let barn swallows live on our porch and it stays mosquito free. We let frogs our neighbors run off live in the yard, lizards too.

My in-laws said many people keep Llamas to scare off coyotes from their ranches, how novel not to shoot the coyotes.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I really get sad riding an seeing dead wildlife. Lately it has been armadillos, lots of them. And raccoons. The road they are on is new, used to be a tiny county road with little road kill but now it is a 4 lane behemouth.

We have been being harrassed by a door to door pest control guy wanting to kill all the bugs on our property. I told him some of them do good and he was like "Well you have a black widow, it won't do you any good and we have to kill them all to get that". We aren't using him. We let barn swallows live on our porch and it stays mosquito free. We let frogs our neighbors run off live in the yard, lizards too.

My in-laws said many people keep Llamas to scare off coyotes from their ranches, how novel not to shoot the coyotes.
    We have an agreement with living things...outside of the house we won't bother them a bit, but they are not welcome in the house.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    We have an agreement with living things...outside of the house we won't bother them a bit, but they are not welcome in the house.
    My husband has a weak immune system, so we are concerned with the black widow. What if they come inside? I have never even seen one until the other night. Otherwise I don't give a darn what is in my yard, well we do kill the fire ants and let our neighbor flea treat our yard. Otherwise....
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    My husband has a weak immune system, so we are concerned with the black widow. What if they come inside? I have never even seen one until the other night. Otherwise I don't give a darn what is in my yard, well we do kill the fire ants and let our neighbor flea treat our yard. Otherwise....
    Once they come inside I become Flip-Flop Ninja Woman!

Electra Townie 7D

a beautiful coyote lives in our neighborhood. I have seen him when I'm out walking. I saw his amber eyes looking at me from the bushes, and then he disappeared. I would recommend keeping cats indoors around here! He is really big and looks more wolf-like. I think I know where some of the cats have gone. The foxes are cute and they had babies under our barn, talk about adorable! They ate lots of rodents, but we had to do some housekeeping for them because the left little furs around.

I have seen mostly moose and deer--once a fox. We also seem to have a bajillion hares in our neighbourhood this year--don't have to go out to see those.

Yeah, the roadkill makes me sad to see too. We also have lots of flattened armadillos (amoung other more usual stuff). At least dead skunk season seems to have passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Once they come inside I become Flip-Flop Ninja Woman!
    Ha! I love that and would claim that title as my own, but I generally count on "Combat boot Ninja husband" for larger prey such as delightful roaches (the squish freaks me out) Now to go tell husband that he has a new title....

Christy

A clown, a bee, and a bunny

Went riding last night and while waiting at a stop light, I looked over to the car at my left. In it was a clown whose makeup was running because of the heat and humidity - kinda creepy looking. Does that count as wildlife?

Later in the ride I got stung by a bee on my neck. OUCH! I'm proud to say that I didn't miss a pedal stroke, just kept riding.

Finally, when making the turn into my neighborhood, I saw a little cottontailed bunny by the pond. Super cute. Always a good sign to see bunnies in the neighborhood - that means the coyotes have moved on.

I live on the Peninsula in the bay area, in the middle of the hustle and bustle, so jack rabbits are usually as exciting as it gets. Although I did see my first snake while doing a solo-ride last Friday. It had to have been 3 and a half feet long or so. I'm not a snake gal so I have to say that it did shake me up a bit. I rode right around it ... eek.