Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last Thursday on my ride I came upon a group (about 5-6) of black birds tearing a a road-kill, when I got about 15 feet from them, all of a sudden a hawk comes out of nowhere and grabbed one of the blackbirds. All the paniced wing-flapping and "cawing" scared the beejeezus out of me!!!
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

I've seen quite a lot of wildlife as I live in a largely underdeveloped rural village... but today was certainly the strangest! I went biking today with two people from the neighbourhood (a cute story in itself) when a dog, followed by three deer, followed by a duck crossed the road. It was the oddest and most amusing thing I'd ever seen, and it had all three of us in stitches.
    Last edited by Swan; 10-22-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swan View Post
    I've seen quite a lot of wildlife as I live in a largely underdeveloped rural village... but today was certainly the strangest! I went biking today with two people from the neighbourhood (a cute story in itself) when a dog, followed by three deer, followed by a duck crossed the road. It was the oddest and most amusing thing I'd ever seen, and it had all three of us in stitches.
    Sounds like the beginning of a joke!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Sounds like the beginning of a joke!
    It really does! That was my first thought, but it's absolutely true. It was certainly strange and interesting... Usually we just get escaped cattle or horses and regular deer blocking the roads.

It really does! That was my first thought, but it's absolutely true. It was certainly strange and interesting... Usually we just get escaped cattle or horses and regular deer blocking the roads.
    It does sound interesting (and it does sound like a good start to a joke).

Had a great look at a bobcat on my ride Saturday morning, running across the road and disappearing into the brush immediately.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Love this!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

there was a duck that went into a bar....
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

It sounds like the sky is falling and they are on their way to tell the king.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Did a long ride (83 miles) but wildlife sightings were few and far between. I saw about half a dozen Red-tailed Hawks, a lot of Common Ravens (near the dump!), Phainopepla, Mockingbird, Gila Woodpecker, Verdin, White-crowned Sparrows, Curve-billed Thrashers, Rock Doves, American Kestrel, Mourning Doves. No mammals or herps today.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

The male American Kestrel I've been watching for a while appears to have a lady friend. They were interacting and sitting close together for quite a while -- I was thrilled to get such a close view of these beautiful birds.

Beautiful, Pam! What wonderful luck.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Re: What wildlife do you see on your rides?

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    The male American Kestrel I've been watching for a while appears to have a lady friend. They were interacting and sitting close together for quite a while -- I was thrilled to get such a close view of these beautiful birds.
    Fantastic shot!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Nice pictures of the Kestrels!
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Good biking morning at Fort deSoto County park in Florida. A wood stork flew overhead. This is my first wood stork so I am thrilled.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”