Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I saw a coyote just walking through my suburban neighborhood on Saturday - quite the brazen fellow - just walking down the middle of the road.

Saw a rattler about 12 inches long climbing Diablo yesterday. Well, the guy in front of me said it was a rattler, I didn't stop to inspect his tail.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I see many a Lesser-Spotted Grockle (tourist) along with a goodly sprinkling of Lobster-Red Locals at this time of year.

I live at the seaside so many types of gull are in evidence. If I follow National Cycle Route 62 inland then I encounter lots of small birds, ducks, swans, geese and squirrels. My 'wild-life' bugbear though are dogs. Or rather owners of said dogs who believe it's perfectly ok to allow their dogs to run free in cycle lanes/shared usage paths.

In the space of less than probably 200 feet on a trail I was on I saw: a red fox, wild turkey and young deer. The deer was "frozen" about 15-20' off the trail, I slowed to a crawl, calmly talking to it (I was afraid it would bolt out in front of me) and he/she never budged, just kept looking at me. I could have practically reached out and touched it! Afterwards I just had to shake my head and grin at my good fortune of seeing 3 wild critters in such a short distance.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

We saw a water moccasin, which is a poisonous snake I thought lived only in the south. Growing up in Florida I learned how to identify the characteristics of a poisonous snake, so we made it get out of the road with a stick. we always move turtles if we can, and sometimes snakes. My husband didn't believe me that it was a water moccasin so he went home and looked it up on the internet, and sure enough I was right.

Not all who wander are lost

What interesting wildlife sightings lately. Coyote is cool -- wild turkeys I've seen but never more than one at a time (odd, I know).

Norsegoddess, you had a banner wildlife day. Good fortune indeed.

Becca, I too thought water moccasins were only in the south, but obviously not.

So did I--I know they're starting to move north, but all the way up in Michigan? Wow.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I saw an otter the other day in a stream that runs through town. This surprised me.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I saw a turtle about 4" across sitting in the middle of a pond ... on the back of another turtle maybe 12-14" across.

I wish now I'd tried to take a picture, although I didn't really think my phone has high enough resolution to capture it at that distance.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I had an egret fly so low over my head the other day, I could almost touch him.

Oh, cute Oak. Piggy back turtles.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I'm seeing a lot of (flat) Sonoran toads. The summer monsoon rainstorms get them out and moving to the temporary ponds for breeding. The rain brings out the tarantulas too....but I've only seen dead ones.

Lots of birds are out, nesting again with the summer rains.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

AZ Fiddle, bird breeding - is that the reason for all the chatter lately? This morning there was so much singing I had to look around to see what was going on but they were happy as can be.

By the way, do you know of a bird that has a bright yellow body with black wings and head. Very striking bird and beautiful singing.

Thanks

Size of the bird? 4 inches- Lesser Goldfinch - that is the bird I studied for my master's degree. They mimic the songs of other birds.

If it's bigger, maybe 7 inches- could be a Hooded Oriole
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Thanks for the names! I was able to look them up and it was definitely not the Lesser Goldfinch, too small and speckled. The Hooded Oriole may have been it. Now I'm on the look out for it again

DH and I were treated to a cornucopia of wildlife this weekend as we spent the weekend testing the bass boat we recently purchased. It was an awesome weekend, a respectful catch and release of fish (white bass, small mouth bass, blue gills, sun fish, and a 24" carp that put up a good fight!). We spied a young raccoon swimming the creek we were fishing, a couple of white tail deer, numerous blue herons, ducks, warblers, turtles and a bird of prey which remains a mystery. Mother Nature treated us to a great showing!
    Marcie

Great Horned Owl

I saw a great horned owl tonight, perched on a chimney at a house I cycle by several times a week. I have never seen one in the wild, or in the 'hood, before. Pretty cool. I stopped my bike immediately in front of "his house" just to gaze at him, but I guess he did not like that idea, and he flew away.