Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I saw a mob of about 30 kangaroos the other day. They looked so beautiful, all just relaxing close to the tress, wonderful!

Oooh, kangaroos! How do they react to humans?

Australian wildlife sounds so wonderful. We were just discussing butcher birds, bower birds and lyre birds on the Hornby Eagle chat.

I saw a roadkill bobcat kitten on a bridge. Poor thing must have died terrified, unable to get away from the traffic.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

day

Pam-kangaroos are dang unpredictable & are most active right before sunrise, during sunrise and the same for sunset. They might be cute for all you in the northern hemisphere but they're no fun to run into either on a bike or in a car!!!

Whilst doing a practice lap for our race last week, I ventured out to the trail & had quite a few bounce over the trail in front of me. "ooo that's so cute you say.."..no!!! If you frighten one of them, you do understand who'll come out second best right....One of the pairs I saw was a mom & a younger roo. They & the others I saw hopped off in a flash.

I always hear something in the bushes rustle as I mtn bike..No clue what's out there but i'm not about to go looking....

There's a well known very easy & dang boring rail trail here we use to get to another cooool trail that's right beside a set of drops by a (at the momennt no water) waterfall. One night whilst out using said boring trail, two or three roos hopped ONCe accross the trail & into said drop...zooooommmm...off like a flash. It's not a drop that a human would just jump into..!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I saw a roadkill bobcat kitten on a bridge. Poor thing must have died terrified, unable to get away from the traffic.
    Oh poor thing!
    I saw a roadkill kangaroo today on my ride and could smell it for what seemed like kms before I got to it. Lucky me for being such a slow rider.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

smell

Bleeeecchh...Trekhawk, I too have come across the same thing whilst out on a trail & it's not a welcoming smell...

bleeecchh...pitooey..blahhh...

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Oooh, kangaroos! How do they react to humans?

Australian wildlife sounds so wonderful. We were just discussing butcher birds, bower birds and lyre birds on the Hornby Eagle chat.
    best to keep away from...especially at "that" time of the month apparently, but they look amazing at a distance and bounce with such strength....we have a bower brid next in the neighbours garden, its built by the male to attract the girls and he covers the floor in blue things...any blue things...infact they take stuff from around your house, amazing nest too...love lyre birds too...the live out the back of our place, great mimics....sorry couldnt find the 'hornby eagle chat'

Alligator!

Today I saw this guy/gal:

One of these days that thing is going to be resting on the path, and I'm going to fall over from fright!
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

I went for a ride last week, first "lunch hour" ride for me of the season. I live in a small city, but just to the north and west is a State Park and some wetlands, so we have quite a bit of small wild-life near us like red foxes, swans, wild turkeys, deer, etc.

Anyways, I'm riding IN THE CITY and I see two large wild looking dogs running in unison towards me down the road. They were big. No collars on them and no one in site out walking or in their yards. I actually thought I was hallucinating for a minute, seeing something out of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

Fortunately they ran right passed me. Turns out they were Coyotes!!! I've been hearing about more and more sitings of coyotes in the area, but I had not seen one.

Now I've seen Coyotes and a Lynx out on rides near my home. Bears are starting migrate further and further south, so I imagine that it is only a matter of time before I spy one of those out on the trail.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Oh gosh, coyotes. It's interesting but so sad that they don't have the habitat they need. We've had them in NYC parks but I've never seen one.

The best wildlife I see on my rides has been endangered by our Parks Dept. placing rat poison very near the hawks' nest just before eggs are due to hatch.

It's too late to stop what has already happened but I'm doing what I can to publicize the situation. The above story came about because I contacted them, and I'm writing to everyone else I can think of.

The rat situation is due in part to poor handling of garbage. This is a long page, but you only need to glance at the first few photos to see the problem.

I smelled the skunk before I saw it... the poor thing looked like his head was stuck in a small bottle and either died of asphyxiation or starvation I obviously didn't take a close look as the possibility disturbed me so much. My boyfriend said I should've taken a picture to show people the destruction of garbage has on wildlife.

Awww, badger, that is so sad. That would really disturb me too.

Plastics suck!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Badger, that is terrible. A photo would be a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd want to be the photographer.

Saw some bunnies today, I if squinted my eyes just right they looked like Easter Bunnies!!!

Electra Townie 7D