Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

To disable ads, please log-in.

Saturday:
    2 bald eagles flying low, just caught some snakes
    a bunch of stingrays (I had stopped on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay, and there they were-a whole lot of them cavorting in the shallows)
    the usual osprey and great blue herons

I saw another doe today on my ride - these past 4 rides in a row I have seen at least one deer on my route - and they have been different routes! Hopefully they will continue to show themselves without running across the road in front of me

Saw several really big Desert Spiny Lizards this morning.

On Thursday, a young buck, just getting this year's antlers.

Today, a herd of prancing horses - aka some Ferrari club out for a Sunday ride. That was a treat to hear and see.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Deer sightings continue

wild turkey hens

In the last couple of weeks I've encountered a some more unusual critters. I don't count egrets, herons, eagles, osprey, rabbits, or even deer any more - they are pretty common around here.

A flock of turkey hens (probably 20+)
    Red fox
    Trumpet Swans in a lagoon where I have never seen them before. Though there is a resident pair at a pond a few miles away. And haven't seen them there again since.

My barn owl is back again. He comes to hang out in the woods behind my house for a couple weeks at a time. I have never been able to find him - it's usually dark when he makes his presence known. He sounds like this:
    http://enature.com/fieldguides/view_...urFamilyID=203

Essentially he just screeches every 10-20 seconds for hours in the evening - from around 7-10pm. Yikes!

And today I took a detour through a heavily wooded fresh water marsh area, had to walk some because the dirt track was sandy in places and was not designed for 700x23 tires. Saw an indigo bunting, a totally iridescent and beautiful bird.

I love this thread.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I love this thread too, and it makes me want to bike everywhere!

Saturday I saw a huge flock of cedar waxwings. It seemed as if there were thousands of them, swooping down, feasting for a bit and taking off again. I've seen them in groups, but never that many. I also saw an egret and turkey vulture.

On a sad note, we lost another baby hawk. His body was still in the nest yesterday. The one remaining baby seemed to be looking at him with great curiosity.

Thumbs up wildlife while biking

Usually all I see is road pizza possums, skunks, squirrels, cats and dogs with an occasional and rare live specimen showing up. I was riding around a lake which is actually a cooling pond for a power station and is quite out in the country and I saw a wild hog disappearing into the pines- a short while later I spotted two scissor tail fly catchers which always delights me because they look so much like something invented by Dr. Seus.

marni

Songbirds of varying stripes, mostly. A couple of house finches, a goldfinch, cardinals, the usual sparrows and mourning doves on today's ride. Also a bright blue bird whose identity I don't know. Crows, red-tailed hawks, and turkey vultures. Gray squirrels, the occasional chipmunk, white-tailed deer (saw two on Sunday's ride), and cats. I also nearly brained myself on a female cardinal over the weekend!
    Last edited by Owlie; 05-26-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

A fox crossed the road in front of me on Monday while biking down 2A in Lexington.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Yesterday was turtle day. I stopped twice along the ride to move a turtle off the road. The first one was fairly large, the size of a dessert plate. It was sitting on the yellow center line. I moved it across the road and wished it good luck. The second one was rather cute. It was a baby and fit nicely in the palm of my hand. It would have taken it an eon to cross the road. I gave it a helping hand and moved it across the road. Again, I wished it good luck. It has a lot of growing to do. I hope it survives.

Today was rabbit day. The Eastern Cottontails, big and small, were out in force. I don't recall a ride where I encountered so many rabbits.
    Marcie

Pam, where do you see waxwings in NY?? I love them.

Love raptors too. We have lots of bald eagles around here--I mean, on the bike trails as well as in the general region.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Last night I saw not one, but two deer! One was a fawn that stepped up to the edge of the road as I approached. I talked to her and asked her kindly to wait for me to pass, and she turned around and went back into the woods Later on a large beautiful buck bounded across the road in front of me! I was far enough away that I was able to enjoy watching him.

Seems that right now all I see are deer, at least on the bike. When hiking last weekend I saw several salamanders peeking out from under a rock as I crossed a stream on a mountain bike trail. They probably thought I couldn't see them

Quote Originally Posted by makbike View Post
    Yesterday was turtle day. I stopped twice along the ride to move a turtle off the road.
    Yes, what is it with turtles all of a sudden??? There must be a huge migration between Kentucky and Illinois. Ha! Ha! I must've seen six box turtles on my ride yesterday. I also saw wild turkeys, deer, rabbits and squirrels. The critters were busy early in the morning.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme