Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snot Rockets

Snot rocketteers......

To disable ads, please log-in.

Arrrgh...GROSS! My DH is one of those old fashioned men I hate who uses a CLOTH handkerchief...and it grosses me totally out!!

I avoid visual contact with said nasty "snot haven".....(reminds me of the story of a Native American (NA) sitting on the steps of the Indian Bureau in Toppenish, Wa, observing day after day the agent eating part of his lunch and wrapping up the rest,...... and one day the agent blew into his handkerchief, then folded it and put it in his pocket...the totally appalled NA then said: "YOU WHITE PEOPLE SAVE EVERYTHING!")

I have burned, appeared to lose and misplace every handkerchief he gives me to wash..it doesn't work...but I have found a suitable revenge...

I twist pieces of Kleenex up into a pointed form and shove it up my nose and twist, then remove and inspect..(this is BEST done at dinner table...) and it has won the title from my DS of "Mom's nose rockets"!

....now I never see those dang hankies again..but I know he's hiding them somewhere...

I think if someone blew a booger on me while riding, I'd promptly morph into a motorcycle riding toughie in my leathers, speed up and whoop his/her b-tt!

Well, maybe not really, I do understand those runny noses-- I have one myself...watch out for MY nose rockets!
    There's nothing to stop traffic like a fat lady on a bike with a flourescent flag...

THis could go in the "embarrassing moments" thread, too, except it wasn't really.

We were pulling in to stop in a small town restaurant on our Tuesday morning long ride and I waited while everybody went into the restaurant, looked up and down the street, and gracefully planted a big snot rocket into the storm drain/gutter.

I looked up and realized that *in* the car not ten feet away from me were four women, all of 'em laughing fit to burst. So much for delicacy!

However, I must say that here the wind's a major advantage; a cross wind really cuts the chance for shoulder misfires.
    Last edited by Geonz; 04-14-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Heh. Nice one Geonz.

I've discovered it's kinda handy to have something to aim for too. Like, there may not be a hope in hell of that booger clearing that bush or going in the canal, but the effort involved in trying to land it there is generally enough to ensure my shoulders remain clean (of course, sometimes it just results in higher velocity shoulder splatter - gotta put in some more practice).
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 04-14-2006 at 03:08 PM.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Y'all know, I never in my life thought I'd launch a snot rocket, but hey, I'm pretty good at it. I usually yell out "snot rocket" before I send it out. I still don't want my genteel mother to know I do that...

I'll have to include that custom in my presentation Monday afternoon as "group riding etiquette"

I used to be married to a Canadian guy and they called them "Greeners"
    Crediamo in te, bici!

EVA!!!!

Heres the snot rocket thread I was talking about!!!!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

If I hadn't learned how to "rocket" years ago, I don't know if I would still be riding...... I have to remember NOT to rocket when I'm not on the bike -- like at work or out shopping. I haven't yet, but one of these days, I'm afraid I'll slip up. Just like I am so used to the rear-view mirror on my biking sunglasses, that I expect it to be there all the time! And hate it when I can't see what's behind me simply by glancing in the sweet little mirror.

The secret to successful snot rockets is explosive power. You have to shoot/blast them hard enough that they fly away from you. Practice and more practice. I never thought I'd get it when I first tried either. Now it's as natural as .............as..............as.............. clicking out of my pedals.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

You all don't know how happy I am to have stumbled onto this thread!! I thought I was the only woman who did this. Riding is one sure-fire way to get my sinuses open again. And after spending so much time sniffling I finally let one fly. Wow, what a relief! Now when I'm riding solo I make sure there's nobody around and just let 'er fly. But I still feel funny doing it in a group. I always make sure to go to the back and get out of earshot...don't even want them to hear me doing it. I guess it has to do with my mother always telling me to "act like a lady" or be "lady-like:. Well, in my opinion if a lady does it then it's lady-like! Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    That's disgusting! No, we were a team. The offender has some sort of medical condition, multiple myeloma, and had had a stem cell transplant. I wonder if it had anything to do with that. He had a lot of breathing difficulty- coughing, throat clearing, etc. the whole nine hours I spent with him. Nanci
    Nanci, my hubby has MM and I can assure you it has nothing to do with that. Although, the MM could make him more susceptible to colds/infections, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by li10up
    Well, in my opinion if a lady does it then it's lady-like! Am I right?
    You'd better be - there's no hope for me otherwise. (My mum gave up telling me to be ladylike at a very young age; it only encouraged whatever behaviour she was trying to stop.)
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 04-26-2006 at 01:48 PM.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by li10up
    Now when I'm riding solo I make sure there's nobody around and just let 'er fly. But I still feel funny doing it in a group.
    I ride with a group of women only and most of us tend to do it. However I feel funny doing it when I ride with men, and if I ride with the BF I make sure I am behind him when I do it.