Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Nervous Newbie

Unhappy Nervous Newbie

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all - Just found this group last night and I can't stop browsing all the interesting and reassuring posts.

I'm a 42.5 y.o. mother of 2 young girls (4 & 7). My Husband - a true runner - "it's a lifestyle - not a sport" started road biking last year. Did a Team-In-Training ride at Tahoe with his office - then did the local "Climb to Kaiser" - a ride from Fresno up to Kaiser Peak - some 13,000' - Yikes and lived to tell about it.

He bought me a bike in February and I road my first organized ride in March - Solvang 1/2 Century. Then I did Tahoe - (the shorter route around the lake 72 miles). I managed both without having to quit or walk or anything (2 years of spinning class really helps with the hills)

On Saturday I'm doing my first metric century that is part of the Climb to Kaiser - Yes dh is doing it again and this year he's been training for it - I think he will do well.

Even though I've done a few rides - I get insanely nervous about them. I still feel like a clutz - fell a couple of time with the clipless pedals until my dh explained that I needed to get off the saddle to stop! As a kid and before I had a properly fitted bike - I could always reach the road from the seat. Now I know better - scary thing is - I rode the Solvang ride not knowing this - boy was I lucky.

I've seen the posts from moms who feel scared about orphaning their children - I get a little psycho about this - though I try to convince myself that a fit mother is better for them.

Any suggestions for overcoming these newbie fears - do lots of people go through this and get through this? I hope so - because I do enjoy riding - it's just the anticipation that werids me out.

Thanks

newbie fears question

Hey BB - welcome to the boards!
    Your post reminded me of when I started riding, some 6 years ago. My 2 sons were teens then, older than your 2 girls are now, and I remember them sitting me down to talk about their fears for me. They were referencing the "crazy drivers out there" while you're out biking all over the roads of the Northwest. I hadn't thought about it from the 'family-member's or spectator's perspective, but I remember discussing it with them, explaining that I was not only training to physically complete long rides and improve my skills on the road, but to make sure I learned how to be a safe rider too. None of us, in our cars or on our bikes or walking, have any control over whether someone is a jerkass dangerous driver, but we do have control about our own riding; whether we ride steady, strong and consistent, not weaving or jerking in and out of the lane. Whether we obey the same traffic laws as drivers or if we blow through lights, stop signs and put more than ourselves in danger.
    I reassured my sons that I would ride as safely as possible, but if someone hit me with a car, at least they knew I was doing something I loved and that gave me so much pleasure at the time.
    May or may not work for you and yours but I thought I'd share...
    Mary

MM_QFC!

Thank you that does make me feel better. My girls must sense my apprehension or I get it from them - but they get very clingy before a big ride. So I just give them even more attention.

I am a very cautious rider. No weaving, no machismo. Actually I need to get a little bolder - especially on the descents so I don't cause an accident by go too slow, but that'll come with experience.

I appreciate your insights and will let you know how I do this weekend. My biggest obstacle will be the heat - it's been in the 110s this week with humidity - so much for our famous dry heat.

Thanks, again!

Wink

Good luck Mommy!
    I am in a similar boat - I've only been riding 2 years and I am doing my first mt bike race in August. My kids (10,11) seem uninterested, but I think they are worried, just don't want to say. My 19 yo comes right out and says she is worried but she is very supportive. My parents - can't even tell them!!! they would have me committed.

I'm 46, and I'm racing as a pair with my partner - he has done this race solo before. I was his support person for 4 races. One of his team mates had a 5 year old, and she went to the race. She cried and hung on to him each time he went out for his laps.
    So it could be concern (with your kids) or they see you doing something that is not part of your Mommy role and that makes them uneasy. Or they see your riding as competition because it takes you away from them. I think my kids have felt all these things.

Eventually, it will become a normal part of life the longer you ride. I've been riding almost daily since Feb to get ready and I've seen things change over time.

And you are being a good role model!!

Yeah, be a terrific role model for your girls and be sure to hydrate lots before this weekend...hopefully, you're continuously sipping water today too.
    I remember that each son, separately, told me that they were proud of me, after I completed my first long ride - what a lift!
    Now, while they are active in athletics, competitive and full of energy themselves, each of them admits that they cannot do what I do on a bike...it's pretty cool to hear your kids admire you in a sport - my younger son even drove the SAG vehicle on a 2 week ride I did last year. He was a huge help and we both treasure the experience we had together.
    Go for it and have tons of fun!

Smile Thanks you guys!

Thanks p&p and MM - I'm not just learning about cycling - I'm learning about parenting. Your insights add some new perspective that I hadn't considered - Thank you.

I am drinking a lot of water today - fortunately this is a habit of mine. Just heard that there will only be 40 people in my ride and over a 250 in the century and climb. Should be interesting - Hope I can keep up and not get lost.

Thanks again and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Take care!

Talking

I did it - my first metric. Apparently they used the new math - since the ride was 67 rather than 61 miles. Those last five miles were really hard - it was closing in on noon and I really felt the heat. Though I drank a lot - I still think I could've used more fluids.

The climbs were killer. The first grade 4 miles with an average grde of only 5% had a 1/2 mile 12% and at it's steepest a 16% grade. Well ladies - I must admit without shame - I walked the steepest part. This was my third organized ride and the first time I had to walk. I was only 25 miles into the ride and before the first rest stop - my legs were wobbly - and I was spent. I'm so glad I took those few steps! It made the difference between finishing the day or sagging in.

There were some scary descents. Though, I was much more confident and changed my mantra to feather...feather...feather. The lucky part was there was very little traffic at that time of day. I learned the true meaning of centrifugal force.

I'm home now waiting for DH to call. He did the monster climb up to 13000'. I hope he's OK - cell phones don't seem to work very well in the mountains.

Again - thanks for all the encouragement. My girls are proud and I survived!

Congrats on your successful finish!!! Wow!!! I am so impressed that you could do this. I am inspired.

I hope you have pictures so you can look back on this day and also for your kids. Just picture them telling THEIR kids - ok, here is your grandma and her bicycle - she rode 67 miles this day!!!
    And write some notes on the backs about how it felt... I just say all this because I was looking at some pics over the weekend of a friend's mother and her days as a horse-woman (in her 20's). She had written notes on the backs of them about how proud she was of her horse, and how it felt to win. We all enjoyed it!

As for the bad news part - try not to dwell. Those things are few and far between. But stuff happens, so we should appreciate each day, and do our best to be careful while still enjoying life.