Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bike shorts

Smile bike shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good padded bike short that isn't so ugly looking in the front. You know, with the seam and all going straight down the front, it's not very, shall I say, flattering.

Thanks!

I saw these Sheila Moons in a bike magazine this week- they looked good on the model.

http://tinyurl.com/qan2n

I think Trashy Cat shorts are nice looking, too, but hard to find!!!

I don't think you're going to find any traditional lycra shorts with no center seam, though. Maybe baggy MTB shorts.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Quote Originally Posted by islandgirl
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good padded bike short that isn't so ugly looking in the front. You know, with the seam and all going straight down the front, it's not very, shall I say, flattering.
    When it comes to shorts I don't think the basic black ones are made to be fashionable...just functional. Unless you buy the nice flashy colors. Me...they just wouldn't look good on me. Those d@mn models...everything looks good on them. (Yes, I'm jealous)

I always worry more about how the back looks- I hate when the chamois sticks out and gives the wearer diaper butt.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

This picture really doesn't do them justice, but the Sugoi Evolution Shorty shorts are somewhat lower rise in front. They have a really flattering dip at the waistline, which is also nice because when you are bent over on a bike the waistband isn't cutting into your digestion.

I worry about the view from the back too. I don't want the glare from my behind to blind someone behind me. hehe. I try to wear long jerseys, or half the time I heat up and end up having something tied around my waist.

Islandgirl, I don't know if you have your heart set on traditional shorts, but the knickers I reported on in the apparel thread from sugoi look pretty decent in the front. They are that new low rise that dips slightly under the belly. Manufacturers argue that it is very flattering on everyone. The fabric isn't shiny and the chamois seems decent.

I ordered a pair of sugoi shorts and I'll report on those when I try them out.
    I got these Sugoi Technifine
    Last edited by miffy'sFuji; 03-28-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    I saw these Sheila Moons in a bike magazine this week- they looked good on the model.

http://tinyurl.com/qan2n

I think Trashy Cat shorts are nice looking, too, but hard to find!!!

I don't think you're going to find any traditional lycra shorts with no center seam, though. Maybe baggy MTB shorts.

Nanci
    Nanci - Check out Trashy Cat's website--I've bought online directly from them before and had a good overall experience in terms of shipping, customer service, etc. Also, they have good sales.
    By the way, Sheila Moon makes knickers w/the same waistband/styling as the shorts that Nanci's link shows. Those shorts look great---love that V waistband. I'll wait to see if someone else test rides em and gives a review before I take the plunge. Maybe TE will stock the shorts or the knickers? The knickers retail for ~ $85 on Sheila's site.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

I saw the Sheila Moon knickers in person on Saturday. She was at the Cinderella ride with some stuff to purchase. I wish I had budget to buy them because they looked really nice. The fabric was lovely and the chamois is a Giordana... it looked great, too. When I have money I will probably buy them.

Suzanne

Trashy Cat, on their website, is sold out of just about everything, except XS, and has been since fall. I wonder if they are going out of business. Remember they had that blurb on the website, around Halloween, about new styles coming soon? Nothing ever did!

I had a kind of bad customer service experience with them, too. I ordered some shorts at night, and noticed as soon as I got the e-mail that the address had a one numeral error, but they wouldn't even try to catch it (right, like it had really been shipped at 8 at night) and I had this whole giant hassle with UPS to even get them delivered to me...I kind of felt like Jane the owner of TC was like, "Tough Sh*t, it's your own fault." Which is too bad, since I _really_ love the Black Satin Shorts.

Nanci

my Sheila Moon story

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick
    By the way, Sheila Moon makes knickers w/the same waistband/styling as the shorts that Nanci's link shows. Those shorts look great---love that V waistband. I'll wait to see if someone else test rides em and gives a review before I take the plunge. Maybe TE will stock the shorts or the knickers? The knickers retail for ~ $85 on Sheila's site.
    Let me preface all of this by saying I'm friends with Sheila Moon. However, my friendship does not bias my opinion.

I work part-time in a bike shop. I'd been trying to get my boss (the owner) to carry Sheila's clothes for three years. Each time Sheila would come into the shop with her shorts, I mentioned that I thought her shorts were okay but not for women with a belly (most of us). She swore they were flattering for everyone. Oh, for those who don't know, Sheila's shorts have a yoga pant type dropped waist.

Anyways, a year ago Sheila gave me a pair to prove to me that they were comfy (even for girls with bellies). I fell immediately in love. The chamois is the most comfortable I've ever ridden. And the shorts are super-comfy and very flattering (even on a girl with a belly).

A couple of weeks later, as I'm packing for a three-week bike trip, I realize I need more Sheila Moon shorts. Being a bit obsessive, I needed them before the trip. Well, Sheila was out of town so I called a couple of her local retailers to see if they had them in stock. I ended up driving about 60 miles and paid FULL RETAIL for two more pair of her shorts. Remember, I work in a bike shop -- I don't pay retail -- but, Sheila's shorts are that good.

What is the chamois like in the SM shorts?

Nanci

All my lycra bike shorts have that seam down the front, but if you're looking for a pair of MTB ones, that don't look like MTB shorts and are quite flattering from the back and the front, then I recommend these Fox shorts:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=14853

I have them in grey, and they don't look like bike shorts at all, and aren't baggy like other MTB shorts. My friends can't believe there's padding 'down there' when I wear them.

With the normal bike shorts, just think how they would look if they weren't black. Check out this photo of the Aussie team at the recent Commonwealth games:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...rr/WRR_DSC0147

Not a good look.. I'd have to wear dark glasses with those shorts

eva

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl
    Oh, for those who don't know, Sheila's shorts have a yoga pant type dropped waist.

Anyways, a year ago Sheila gave me a pair to prove to me that they were comfy (even for girls with bellies). I fell immediately in love. The chamois is the most comfortable I've ever ridden. And the shorts are super-comfy and very flattering (even on a girl with a belly).

The waist band does look very comfy...and just low enough for me to look like I have a beer belly or a couple of months pregnant! Can someone measure the center crotch seam to the dip in the waist band? I like shorty shorts too so the 5 inchers would be great.
    Why not go out on a limb? That's where all the fruit is!
    -Mark Twain

The chamois in the Sheila Moon shorts is a Giordana chamois... I think it's the same one as in the Tenax shorts they sell here at TE. Yup. I just looked at it looks like the exact chamois. Felt great. Wish I could have bought some.

Do you think the SM fabric is thinnish?

Look at the chamois in any of the Trashy Cat shorts on TE, that HAP 65. I _love_ that chamois. It is very structured, but in a very comfortable perfect way.

Nanci