Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Bike Grease!

Unhappy Bike Grease!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was loading my bike and got bike grease all over my new jersey! How can I get this out!!!!!!!
    Shaula
    2011 Specialized Ruby

Try some of the citrus cleaner de-greaser you would use to clean your chain.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Spray'n'Wash used to do the job on my jeans and T-shirts, but not sure if it's appropriate for jerseys.

I recently got grease on one of my favorite light pink tee shirts while cleaning my bike. I saturated the grease with shout and since I wasn't doing white wash, I just left it there for a few days then washed it and the spots are almost all out except for two little specs. I will shout them again and put it in the sun to dry.

~ JoAnn

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-n-NY
    I recently got grease on one of my favorite light pink tee shirts while cleaning my bike. I saturated the grease with shout and since I wasn't doing white wash, I just left it there for a few days then washed it and the spots are almost all out except for two little specs. I will shout them again and put it in the sun to dry.

~ JoAnn
    wow - I always used detergent - you mean all this time I coulda just shouted the grease away??.....does that work for my hands too??

(yeah I know - I'm a stinker)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

a good dregreaser should work- even simple green if you have some. And what bike junkie doesn't??
    I also have these little bottles of stain remover from a company called "carbona" they are in little yellow bottles, and they are made specifically for the type of stain. Like grease and oil, or sauces, or chocolate.. I have quite a collection but they work great. Look for them in the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    wow - I always used detergent - you mean all this time I coulda just shouted the grease away??.....does that work for my hands too??

(yeah I know - I'm a stinker)
    I don't know about hands, but works great on clothes. And who is the one that told me about it....my mother, who else? Needless to say, I now tell my daughter. aaaaaaah Love when Mom is always right.

~ JoAnn

bike grease

I use simple green and then wash the jersey right away so as not to damage the fabric. I am not sure if it's the best thing to use, but woolite comes in a dark/bright clothes formula and works well. Good luck!

Woolite can cause the chamois on your shorts to break down faster.

Shaula, I've used Dawn dishsoap before and had good results from it. shellyj

I second liquid Dawn!

Last summer I got a heapin' helpin' of grease on a new cotton skirt. I tried dish soap, several times, being sure not to machine dry so as not to set the stain. Only when I used Shout, and read the instructions on the third time , did the grease come out. The key was to rub/scrub the the Shout into the stain.

shout update

Well the last little dot of grease on my pink shirt came out. In fact my daughter had put the shirt in the dryer after the 1st washing. I thought, forget it, the dot will is probably really set, but I sprayed Shout, left it two days and put it through the was last night and no more grease dot, shirt as good as new!

~ JoAnn