Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Question Overweight issues

To disable ads, please log-in.

I used to ride like the wind. Then I got married and had kids . Now I want to ride again. All I have for a bike is an old Schwinn road bike that I love. Problem is I don't think he loves me anymore.

I am very tall so he is a man's bike and I'm now having issues with bending over to get the handlebars (belly gets in the way) and sitting on the seat properly without feeling like a stick in the nether regions.

I'm thinking raising the handlebars may relieve the problem a bit. Or maybe I should just give up the idea of riding this bike again for now and get more of a cruiser until I get back in shape.

I don't want to lose my enthusiasm for riding and I have no one to ask here but teenage boys or skinny Mennonites .

Shasta
    My Biking Blog

Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today
    So look out for those beauties oh yeah
    -Queen

Oh Shasta.... Baby weight sucks (I'm still trying to lose mine, and the baby is 17 - years!!!).

I'd try raising the handle bars and maybe a wider seat until some of it melts away. And it will melt away. Riding is great for you. Not just from the exercise/get moving/weight loss benefits. But also from the mental "I'm out there doing something I love" benefits. You cannot wait for the ideal, you must meet yourself where you are. And where you are is wonderful, vibrant, and lycra-be damned, a cyclist. Listen to your heart and ride.
    That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Thanks for your input. I have the largest seat I can get on it right now as the stem size keeps me from going larger. I picked up a gel seat cover and that helps somewhat. But I think raising the handlebars will get me back on my seat bones more.

I am determined though and the more I find on overweight gals riding and relearning to ride the more inspired I become.

Shasta
    My Biking Blog

-Queen

If you need to scootch back and stretching too far forward is an issue, how about turning that baby into a flat bar road bike? Would deffinately give you less far to reach, might need to replace the brakes though.

whatya techie gals think?

trek-big-fan-of-revamped-classic-bikes-420
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Don't know what your finances will permit but I was AMAZED at how much nicer the newer bikes are over the old trusty steeds. I find I can ride longer, in more comfort on my new bike than I could on my old Raleigh.

Might be worth a test ride to see how the new ones feel?

Electra Townie 7D

Thumbs up Good for you!

First of all, a big congratulations on your wanting to exercise and get fit! I've had weight issues all my life, even though I've danced since I was a kid. Anyway, a few suggestions:

1. If you can't reach the bars, try to do some stretching and Yoga. Rodney Yee has some really good DVDs and VHS tapes out there. Even when I was at my heaviest, (196#) I could still put my hands flat on the floor, so leaning over anything never bothered me. I think it may be a matter of flexibility. If you work at it, you can make quite a bit of progress in only a week. Even if it just involves sitting on the floor while you watch tv, and lean over and grab your toes, or spread your legs out and lean over. Just sit like that for a minute or so, feel the stretch, but don't make it hurt. Do that often enough and I bet you'll be grabbing those bars in no time!

2. Don't make the mistake I made...COMFORT BIKE. I purchased a Trek Navigator, and within a year I was hooked on cycling, but that bike had to go. How many times do we read on these boards that people regret those purchases? I'd raise the handlebars, stretch, and then take your time to see what kind of riding you will do. The better you get, the more you will know what you want in a bike. Take your time and see what you like. You may even decide to mountain bike!

3. I read it, didn't believe it, but went on Nashbar and bought some cycling shorts anyway. Yes, it makes all the difference in the world. No, really, I couldn't get over it! That's a purchase I would make if I were you!

4. Comfort seat...after the Navigator comfort seat, I wound up with a Bontrager FIT. Smaller and narrower, but I gave it a try. It was more comfortable than the huge one! I talked to my lbs and he said it was probably because there are fewer contact points than with those comfort saddles. (No, I don't have a bony butt, on the contrary...) It's amazing what I've learned, and it all goes against what I thought. Some people on these boards love the Terry Butterfly, I may have to give that a shot.

3. What everyone is telling you about the biking and weight loss is true! I don't even really have to watch it anymore. A first for me.

Let us know how you do! Sorry I rambled so long, but I really wish I would have found these boards earlier. I am not even pretending to be a cycling expert, but I thought I would share MY mistakes with you. (More like a cycling bumbler) Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420
    If you need to scootch back and stretching too far forward is an issue, how about turning that baby into a flat bar road bike? Would deffinately give you less far to reach, might need to replace the brakes though.
    Great idea! That's what I've done to my vintage road bike. I've shed lots or weight by steady cycling, but my belly still arrives a few minutes ahead of me. Dang belly fat! I can't use drop bars comfortably.
    If you really love your Schwinn...you could try the flat bar setup...lower saddle, and maybe swap the freewheel for a wider range one to help get you going at first. These mods won't be very expensive, and you can reconnect with your cool old bike. You can see the modifications I did here:
    http://www.geocities.com/tristar350/Bianchi2.html
    Good luck, and happy cycling! You will do GREAT!
    ~Sherry.
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

You gals are great. Thanks for the ideas and personal opinions. I will definately be looking into fiddling around with the old boy. I want to get riding more before I make another purchase so I can learn all I can. Things have change A LOT since I bought this one in 1979! We have miles and miles of dirt roads and forest trails I'd love to eventually start riding but first I have to get to the highway, LOL!

Shasta
    My Biking Blog

-Queen

I keep looking at other people's bikes and notice their seats are higher than the bars in most cases. Now mine is level and I cannot put the seat higher since it is the right height now. Tell me, is my bike too big for me??? I don't know how to measure it but I have 27" tires. I'm beginning to think maybe it is.

Shasta
    My Biking Blog

-Queen

Fit

If you really want to see a ballpark measure without going to the lbs, go to wrenchscience.com. It will at least give you an idea, but you have to take measurements and it's best to have some help. I'm still trying to figure out my size, but at least I saw that I was riding bikes too big. There is also a site I found the other day. It shows fitters in different states, and the prices seem reasonable. (At least in Missouri) http://www.cyclemetrics.com/Pages/Bi...ittersList.asp

Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    I keep looking at other people's bikes and notice their seats are higher than the bars in most cases. Now mine is level and I cannot put the seat higher since it is the right height now. Tell me, is my bike too big for me??? I don't know how to measure it but I have 27" tires. I'm beginning to think maybe it is.

Shasta
    Higher than the bars? I think mine is level or higher. (I can't see it at the moment, have really paid attention) That sounds like people who just want to fold themselves in half to go faster.
    Why not go out on a limb? That's where all the fruit is!
    -Mark Twain

I keep looking at other people's bikes and notice their seats are higher than the bars in most cases. Now mine is level and I cannot put the seat higher since it is the right height now. Tell me, is my bike too big for me??? I don't know how to measure it but I have 27" tires. I'm beginning to think maybe it is. Shasta
    As I understand it, the relationship between the height of your seat and the height of your bars really aren't about bike fit. Bike fit is making sure 1) the bike you are riding is the right height (it sounds like yours is) and 2) making sure the "reach" to the bars is the appropriate length (can be adjusted somewhat with stem changes). You can raise or lower the handlebars on most bikes with stem changes. "Comfort" bikes will generally have bars higher than seat, Racers will have the bars way lower and everyone else is somewhere in the middle. Having the bars lower will aggrevate the belly problem (I know this from experience and I've never had kids ). If you eventually want to lower the bars, you can probably make a stem adjustment. For now, though, I wouldn't worry about that - just get the body moving again and the rest will follow

Shasta
    Hmmm...in your avatar..your bike looks like an ok size. If your seat height seems good, then I'd work on the bars. You might want to raise them, or change the stem to a higher one with a shorter reach. You can swap the drop bars for hi-riser bars. All these will give you a more upright riding position. You can even have the shifters move up to the bars for easier shifting.
    Don't worry about whether your saddle is higher than your bars or not; what matters most is your comfort. As you tone up and get more fit, you can adjust your riding position accordingly.
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki_Nui
    Hmmm...in your avatar..your bike looks like an ok size. ... Don't worry about whether your saddle is higher than your bars or not; what matters most is your comfort. As you tone up and get more fit, you can adjust your riding position accordingly.
    If you are sitting on your seat and you can put your feet flat on the ground then your seat is too low. When sitting on your seat, leaning against something to hold you up, you should put your heal on the pedal in it's most downward position (6 o'clock). With your heal on the pedal you should have only a slight bend in your knee. I agree that your comfort is the most important, but if your bars are significantly lower than your seat you will most likely be putting a lot of pressure on your hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders which can cause you pain. Hope this helps a bit.

Hi new biker who wants to lose weight -- ME too!!! I don't know jack about pro biking but I am very overweight and just got a mountain bike. My handlebars are way above my seat so I can ride sitting up straight more. I have a giant "elephant" seat that's really comfy for my extra large butt and maybe in time I will fit on something smaller, but having tried an Italian gel seat, I gave that idea up for now.

I have about 150 lbs to lose ( another whole person!!) and I am determined that I will do it by riding my bike. I can barely touch the ground when I stop and am seated, but at least I think my seat height is right for me. Any higher and I'd need a mounting block to put my feet on to stop!!

I no longer have pressure on my hands and arms since I raised the stem and it's considerably above my seat. I think as I lose weight I will be more comfortable with lower bars and a different seat...BUT FOR NOW, I WANNA BE COMFORTABLE OR I'M NOT GOING OUT TO RIDE!!!!

The main point to me is TO RIDE, JUST RIDE AND RIDE UNTIL YOU'RE POOPED. I have weight from kids, going trucking with hubby, stress and the fact that I LOVE FOOD! So I am with you kiddo! Hang in there!

We can work on our weight together! I'm at mmelindas@rocketmail.com if you wanna write me! Anybody else too, Lets make it a club effort!

All us gals who need to lose weight can pull together and commiserate together.

Get er done!!!

There's nothing to stop traffic like a fat lady on a bike with a flourescent flag...