Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Go for it! (You're never going to be talked *out* of riding at TE. )
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by mmelindas
    The problem now is that I have to cook for MEN.....and they don't like that sort of girly diet stuff..... If I have to fix one more fattening thing for a man (even cutie DH and beloved DS) I will hit somebody with a skillet!
    And my problem is a man who cooks. Well, one of my problems. I know I'm privileged. He works closer to home, so often as not I come home to dinner on the table. But he likes sour cream . On "everything". Often with ranch dressing mix in it. And of course the real problem here is ... so do I. So when I'm on my own, like this year on sabbatical, I just don't buy the stuff and manage to lose some weight. But then I go home to DH's cooking, and back it comes, at least some of it. Sigh.

But maybe biking is the solution to that too. He stays skinny by doing long hilly rides and hikes every weekend, whereas I (til now) have been doing a 40-minute walk to and from work with just 80m climb over 3 miles. So maybe now if I get to where I can also ride long hilly rides, I can keep up with DH and burn off that ranch dressing.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

I took the pic in Arkansas somewhere. I think it was when I was camping at Devil's Den. Guess it's the one you saw!

Weird roadside oddities

Yep! I was going to say Devil's Den! Of course, one of the best places to mtb in Arkansas. .

We saw the world's largest ketchup bottle last time we went through St. Louis. (It's in Collinsville, IL.) I think things like that are just fascinating.

Karen

Hello bikeless in Wi! I'm with you!!

I just moved to Utah from near the Madison WI area and those Wisonsin folks are certainly a different breed: four major food groups = beer, cheese, deer meat and brats! (bratwurst sausages cooked in beer!)

My DH is a born and raised Wisconsin boy who grew up in west Milwaukee. He's built well, doesn't tend to put on weight and can eat a cow under the table at Culver's Ice Cream -- have you had that addictive stuff yet?

I'm with you -- your 105 and my 150 lbs we'll lose riding our bikes! It is so hard, but worth it. My obesity has put me at greater risk for uterine cancer, breast cancer, stroke, diabetes and I don't need it!

Good for you and your efforts! I totally support you! We all do!!
    There's nothing to stop traffic like a fat lady on a bike with a flourescent flag...

Tuckerville,

World's largest ketchup bottle? I've lived in and around St. Louis all my life and never heard of it. I'll have to check it out. If you like that stuff, there is a website and book called Roadside America. I'm not sure of the link, but you could google it. It's been awhile since I've used it, but there was a time when I was on the lookout for old muffler men. Spotted one in Pennsylvania. I think you would enjoy it. It has all of the odd and wacky places to visit in the US.

It's actually a water tower for a ketchup plant.

I think that book you mentioned...they did a PBS show based on it. That's where I first heard about the ketchup bottle.

Karen

Question Shasta and mmelindas?

Where are you and how are you doing? There doesn't seem to be any posts from you lately. I know mmelindas was going through some health problems. Please let us know how you are doing...and if you got away from the bikes, you can always go back!

Can I join here? I've got about 40lbs or so to shed (main reason for biking in the first place) and I'm having a blast, while not losing too much weight...lol. I feel lots better though, so I can't really complain! Haven't seen a drop in lbs, but have noticed a shift in shape change! My waist is back, butt trimming up, all that good stuff! Plus my legs are building up nicely

Hope everyone is doing well!

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by bikeless in WI
    And my problem is a man who cooks. Well, one of my problems. I know I'm privileged. He works closer to home, so often as not I come home to dinner on the table. But he likes sour cream . On "everything". Often with ranch dressing mix in it. And of course the real problem here is ... so do I. So when I'm on my own, like this year on sabbatical, I just don't buy the stuff and manage to lose some weight. But then I go home to DH's cooking, and back it comes, at least some of it. Sigh.
    Hey there Bikeless - have you talked to DH about your desire to lose weight and the effect of his delightful cooking? Maybe he can cook/serve with less concentrated fats on your food. I do that for us - the kids love to have grated cheese on or through their mashed potato - but my partner and |I don't have ours that way for the weight control thing. Maybe he can serve yours before he adds the extras... or only add half as much, serve and then top his up...
    I hope you find some sort of middle ground... perhaps he can serve you "lite" varieties all week and then one day over the weekend he can pamper you with "sour cream on everything" to satisfy his cullinery persuasion...

Along with DHs cullinary concessions, continue to bike and walk and you'll find the weight you lose on sabbatical will stay off.

And Kim - yes, I am finding the same thing - though I haven't lost that much weight yet (only about 6kg / 10-12 lbs) but my shape has changed, I have a waist and my tummy is a little less pronounced and I am losing the wings on my back - my self esteem is up because i am feeling so very fit - fitter than I have ever been in my entire 40 years.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Kim (one of my fav names!)

It's terrific that you are feeling better and tightening up! This thread has been dead for awhile and I was wondering about those that were so gung-ho for awhile. I weighed this morning and I need to lose 30 lbs myself! Shall we keep this going? And shall we encourage Shasta and mmelindas to get back on track? Send me a pm if you want to join ranks and "get er done!". I think we should bombard Shasta and mmelindas and show them that some of us care and want to hear from them! If they fell off the wagon, SO WHAT! You can always start over!!!!!

uforgot,

I'm definately up for keeping track of losses and all together! I'm very new to cycling, but learning a little everyday, getting more comfortable with it all, and loving the way it makes me feel!

I really do hope Shasta and Melinda come back! I LOVE seeing posts about women losing weight while cycling. When I first started I really didn't think I'd notice a difference with just riding, I figured it wouldn't be enough of a workout, but boy was I wrong!

Shasta and Melinda were motivated as well as motivating, so maybe they'll come back and let us know that they're still riding, or fixin to get back into it!

Kim

I'm still here

Ellen here, I haven't replied to this thread for awhile. I'm still planning to ride the Little Red Riding Hood next week. Rain and cold weather this weekend aren't helping my training plans any though. My longest ride to date is 27 miles, I hope to get to 35 on wednesday.

My bike is now five weeks old and has 268 miles on it! I haven't lost any weight though. Too busy riding to pay attention to cooking well, but I'm getting caught up and expect to get back to following a diet soon.

Ellen

I haven't lost more weight for a while either, but am definitely in better shape. I can now make it up hills. Sooner or later, long as I eat a generally healthy diet, this will certainly start producing weight loss again. I try not to worry about it. Oh, and I just read in a newspaper (not that they're to be trusted, but this article did refer to research at a reputable university) that people trying to lose weight also need to be sure to get enough sleep. They don't know why this is so yet, but I'd imagine that your body adjusts. If you're not getting enough sleep, it will slow down the metabolism, same as it does when you're not eating enough (which is apparently why diets always have periods of weight loss lulls).
    Last edited by Duck on Wheels; 05-27-2006 at 03:50 PM.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Ugh Bikeless! I'm an insomniac, and I can tell ya, sleep deprivation will wreak havoc on your metabolism! I honestly believe that's why I've felt like crap all these years...cause of my sleeping habits, or lack thereof!

Ellen, even though you haven't noticed a weight loss, have you noticed shape changes? The way your clothes fit better? That's what has kept me so motivated to keep up with the biking and my diet changes! I started out getting on the scales everyday, but got so mad, I stayed off for a little over a week...all the while still noticing slimming here and there...when I finally got back on the scale I'd lost 5lbs! Not much at all as far as weight, but with the other changes, it's no big deal!

Kim