Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: The Sit Bones?

The Sit Bones?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hokay ~ just starting out on my second season of road riding, 2.5 years of spinning classes, bla bla bla

How do I know I'm sitting correctly in the saddle? I hear the phrase 'sit bones' all the time, but I'm not sure if/when I'm doing it right?! Is there a diagram for this stuff? I do get sore down under, shift around a bit till I find a comfortable position, for as long as that lasts - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't ... just feeling like I don't know what I should be aiming for?

thanks!

Try taking your bike to your local bike shop and have them check out your position. maybe even take a digital camera so they can take a picture of you and you can compare the photo to your image in the mirror during spin class (provided they have a mirror at your gym).

"Sit bones" is a lay-term for "ischial tuberosities" which are the lowest portion of the pelvis. The width between the ischial tuberosities determines how wide your pelvis is and is also what supports you when you sit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PelvisLigamentsRearFemale_.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PelvisLigamentsVerticalCrossSection_.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	677  

I've learned a great pilates trick that will help you determine where your own sits bones are situated (width-wise):

1. Stand (or lay on your back with knees bend) with your feet together.
    2. Keeping your heels together, point your toes outward.
    3. Move your heels so they line up with your toes.
    4. Your heels will now be lined up with your sits bones.

When you sit, you should be able to feel the prssure of bones in each cheek that press through your glutes toward the seat...

These are your "sit" bones.

You can probably feel them if your press your butt cheeks with your hands too.

Good advice from Deanna with how to find them too...

These are the bones that should be supported by your seat, and since not all women have the same shape/size pelvis there are a variety of shapes in women-specific seats.

Your goal is to find one that supports your sit bones. It doesn't matter how wide or narrow the flesh of your bottom is, it is your sit bones you need to heed.

If you have been finding the seat you use comfortable, you don't get back or leg pain, and your but and "girly bits" are ok... just stay with the seat you have, Nokomis... if its working, don't try to fix it.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

thanks!

Should the sit bones then be centered in the pad on each half of the saddle?

Hi there Nokomis

Actually, you know... thats a really good question

I have never thought about it

I just know that when I "sit" on the saddle, I feel supported on both cheeks because the weight-bearing part of my but - where the sit-bones are - is supported.

I will check it out when I head out for a ride this afternoon...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Red face

This is a question that I probably wouldn't ask the guy at my LBS -

I've been riding a hybrid - upright. No problems with the seat, the butt was well supported. Now I have a new road bike and find that the new position puts me more forward that the sit bones and it hurts!!!!

Do I need a different seat or an adjustment to the one I have.
    I rode 20 miles on Sunday and the hurt is much more forward than my butt!

Thanks,
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Nokomis
    thanks!

Should the sit bones then be centered in the pad on each half of the saddle?
    I believe the sit bones should be on the outer part of the padding for road riders. You will be bent forward enough that putting your sit bones in the center of the padding would prohibit your thigh bones from moving freely given your pelvis angle. You may not be sitting on the very back of the saddle, but on the forward edge where the back of the saddle begins to narrow. In other words, exactly where you end up sitting on the saddle may vary from saddle to saddle, so the base width doesn't tell you everything. You have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by PAP103
    This is a question that I probably wouldn't ask the guy at my LBS -

I've been riding a hybrid - upright. No problems with the seat, the butt was well supported. Now I have a new road bike and find that the new position puts me more forward that the sit bones and it hurts!!!!

Do I need a different seat or an adjustment to the one I have.
    I rode 20 miles on Sunday and the hurt is much more forward than my butt!

Thanks,
    Patty
    I would try adjusting the one you have first. If the pain is more foward, the saddle nose may be raised too much. You'd be surprised how much difference a very small adjustment makes. Just be sure to take it on a little spin around the neighborhood after each change before going on a longer ride. AND carry the necessary tools to make adjustments on the road until you get it just ride. If not amount of adjusting helps, then go for a new saddle.

I agree with Deanna. Play around with seat adjustments. You may even need to RAISE your seat a tiny bit to get the pressure off those sit bones. I've had to make numerous adjustments on one of my bikes because I changed my stem to an adjustable stem. After I did that, everything was out of whack. But now it's fine. Patience and perserverance rule the day here!
    Nancy

If it is truly your sitbones that are in pain, I have found 2 solutions. The first is ride more. OK, so you're doing that. The 2nd is you may need a flatter saddle. The back of some saddles slope from the middle. Go to a shop where you can hold several in your hand up at eye-level and looking from the back. You'll see varying degrees of slope. That angle may be what is bothering you. Your sitbones need to be in the middle of the padded portion and bearing most of your weight straight down onto the saddle, not sliding off the sides.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna
    I've learned a great pilates trick that will help you determine where your own sits bones are situated (width-wise):

1. Stand (or lay on your back with knees bend) with your feet together.
    2. Keeping your heels together, point your toes outward.
    3. Move your heels so they line up with your toes.
    4. Your heels will now be lined up with your sits bones.
    How far out do you point your toes in step 2? If you have big feet, that could make your sit bones two feet apart!
    The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.

I think your feet can only go so far out. The key is to keep your heels together when you do step 2, as this will limit the angle your feet will point. I guess it would be more accurate to say you are lining up with the balls of your feet, not the tips of your toes. It's an approximation, but I think you'll only run into problems if you're a contotionist
    Last edited by Deanna; 04-06-2006 at 11:08 AM.