Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rowing

Rowing

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi girls,

I've just started rowing (sculling) with a coach. I am really impressed re: the cross-training benefits for cycling. Much of the work is done with the thighs and I have a pretty good advantage there. But the overall stroke seems to use the same muscle groups that we use when climbing out of the saddle and pulling on the hoods - but it is even more intense. I kind of got into this by acccident. One of my riding friends who broke her fibula a few months ago started rowing as a means of strengthening her ankle since she couldn't ride. She got "hooked" and now wants a rowing partner for a 2-person boat. The technique takes a while to learn but it sure is fun! Fortunately, we have access to the the Loyola-Marymount University Rowing Club which encourages outside membership as a means defraying the costs of supporting the student rowing program. They have rowing machines as well. I go again this evening and on Saturday morning, after which I plan to ride - that's assuming I still have any strength left!! Of course, this is all so that I can make myself a better rider!! My DH says, "you're not giving up you bike are you?" NO WAY.

Nina

Hey Nina - good for you. Rowing will definitely keep you fit. Before I had kids I use to row and loved it. I started in an eight but ended up in a four as it was easier to coordinate training etc with less crew. We competed a little (masters events included) and also rowed the Murray River Rowathon which is a 92 km event down the Murray River.

Its a great sport.
    Happy rowing and riding.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Hi Trekhawk. Glad there is someone else on this board who knows about rowing. I am totally brand new to it but, so far, I feal really great doing it. My cycling friend who got me into this and I might team up with two other friends of hers who have been rowing about 3 months, and form a 4 person crew. I don't know that we would ever be able to compete, but it sure sounds fun. Our instructor is competing in the San Diego Crew Classic on April 1,2. She's on the USC Alumni Team. She is very patient and really knows her stuff!! She is not letting us learn any bad habits. This evening should be great. We are having our first warm weather on the So. Calif. coast in 6 weeks. We meet in Marina del Rey. (That's where we start a lot of our bike rides as well).

Nina

We have a concept2 rowing machine that I love. Unfortunately, I don't row that much any more I'd rather ride my bike. Rowing on a machine can be very very boring. I would LOVE to try "real" rowing sometime.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by Nina R. Messina
    We are having our first warm weather on the So. Calif. coast in 6 weeks. We meet in Marina del Rey. (That's where we start a lot of our bike rides as well).

Nina
    Oooh Marina del Rey for once I know a spot thats mentioned in a post. Years ago I came to the States for a holiday from Australia and stayed at the Double Tree Hotel at Marina del Rey before hiring a car and taking off to see the rest of California. What a lovely place to start your rides from.

I hope you get some more nice weather down your way. It looks like ours up here in the North of Cal is getting yucky again. Oh well thats spring I guess.

Completely off track - how is your C50 going? Thats one beautiful bike.
    Amelia Earhart

I have a Concept 2 rowing machine as well and I love it. It's a great compliment to cycling, and my arms/core have never been stronger.

My C-50 is the "love of my life" other than my DH, of course. He has a C-50 too. My bike stays in my car at all times so if a chance to ride comes up, it's always there (with bike clothes, shoes, etc). I do worry if I have to park certain places, someone might break in and steal it. I don't care if my car gets stolen, just my bike. I keep it well covered. It is a size 45 cm because I am only 5'2''. It fits me like it was custom built and I feel like I can ride all day on it. About 7 weeks ago, my husband crashed and fractured his pelvis, and last weekend was his first ride since the accident. We did 16.5. miles and he felt good. I think he was really apprehensive before the ride. I had only ridden a few times since his accident since it is no fun alone, so I felt a little out of shape. When I got on the rowing machine though, I felt really good - like I was using all my biking muscles.

You said you were in Marina del Rey. Do you sail by any chance? We have sailed for over 30 years and have a boat in the Marina. That's why we start our rides there. We park in our parking lot near the boat and there are restrooms, showers, etc. In the Marina, rowing is only good in the early A.M. or in the evening when the water is flat and there are not too many boats out. We are really lucky that all our sports (sailing, cycling - and now rowing) are all located in one place and our weather is usually very good. It outweighs all the negatives you always hear about Los Angeles (traffic- I drive a minimum of 2 hours round trip to work each day). If you ever plan to be in the area, let me know. We can ride - or whatever!!

Nina

Quote Originally Posted by Nina R. Messina
    My C-50 is the "love of my life" other than my DH, of course. He has a C-50 too. My bike stays in my car at all times so if a chance to ride comes up, it's always there (with bike clothes, shoes, etc). I do worry if I have to park certain places, someone might break in and steal it. I don't care if my car gets stolen, just my bike. I keep it well covered. It is a size 45 cm because I am only 5'2''. It fits me like it was custom built and I feel like I can ride all day on it. About 7 weeks ago, my husband crashed and fractured his pelvis, and last weekend was his first ride since the accident. We did 16.5. miles and he felt good. I think he was really apprehensive before the ride. I had only ridden a few times since his accident since it is no fun alone, so I felt a little out of shape. When I got on the rowing machine though, I felt really good - like I was using all my biking muscles.

You said you were in Marina del Rey. Do you sail by any chance? We have sailed for over 30 years and have a boat in the Marina. That's why we start our rides there. We park in our parking lot near the boat and there are restrooms, showers, etc. In the Marina, rowing is only good in the early A.M. or in the evening when the water is flat and there are not too many boats out. We are really lucky that all our sports (sailing, cycling - and now rowing) are all located in one place and our weather is usually very good. It outweighs all the negatives you always hear about Los Angeles (traffic- I drive a minimum of 2 hours round trip to work each day). If you ever plan to be in the area, let me know. We can ride - or whatever!!

Nina
    Is bike envy a sin? If it is Im going straight to hell.
    Glad to hear your husband is back on the bike. I hope his recovery keeps moving along well.

Do I sail....actually no. I like rowing, canoes etc but sailing always seemed a little scary to me. However I do love looking at boats and harbours,marinas etc...odd I know.

Sounds like you have a very fun and full life down there in the South and if I get back down that way I will be sure to let you know. I would love to catch up for a ride and oggle that bike of yours.

Happy riding, rowing, sailing...lol makes me tired just typing that.
    Amelia Earhart

Rowing and cycling have always complemented each other in my life! I believe they are excellent cross-training for each other. In Ireland, we've had several women being on the national squads for both sports!
    Because you're in a sitting position for both, working-out heart-rates tend to be more similar than in running or swimming. And in both, the load worked by the leg is determined by hard you can drive the muscles, rather than the impact of your body weight in running. And they are both conducive to getting obsessed with the sport!
    Differences: I think cycling favours the lighter woman, and in rowing, the taller and stronger the better. (Huge generalisation - I know!) Also, rowing is much more technically demanding. Starting out in a single scull is an excellent beginning - you have to have good technique, or you risk toppling yourself into the drink!
    Have fun!

I´m another rower who also cycles. I agree that they complement each other well. At least with cycling I´m not always the smallest! In rowing I have to compete as a lightweight.
    The other sport which seems to go well with both rowing and cycling is cross country skiing.

Bron

Kayaker, here. Different set of muscles, but still works the core a treat.

I get the same "I'm moving myself" joy out of kayaking that I do out of biking. Putter around the same, too.

Bike to a coffee shop, kayak to a bar. Some of the bars and restaurants on the water in Seattle have docks, so boaters can park and come on in! Getting into kayaks from a high-ish dock after a couple beers is very entertaining for the folks watching through the windows. (we got some applause when we succeeded.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by remigo
    Differences: I think cycling favours the lighter woman, and in rowing, the taller and stronger the better. (Huge generalisation - I know!)
    Ha ha! As a short and heavy ex-rower and current cyclist - maybe I need to be finding myself yet another sport to have a go at...

Well I had my first rowing race of the year on Saturday. Considering that I have only been on the water four times this year, and on my bike a lot more than that, I was quite happy with how it went. Obviously the fitness from the bike and skiing last winter made some difference in the boat, so from that I would say that they complement each other very well.

Bron

Another kayaker here. I think I like the same things many rowers do and that Knotted Yet mentioned--moving myself through the water, esp. in the early morning when it's quiet and the water is flat. Just like a bike ride early on Sunday morning--little traffic, no wind, just me and my bike. Ahhh.....
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

So since there are apparently some accomplished rowers here, tell me this: I've read recently that rowing can be tough on the back. So, 1. Do any of you have any experience with rowing and back issues? and 2. Can anybody recommend anything to read about rowing technique? (I'm talking about rowing on a machine.) TIA!
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress