Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: stir fry

stir fry

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone have a good, EASY, stir fry recipe? I'm not much of a chef at all. I usually stick to the basics like tacos and spaghetti. But I'm dying for some healthy, chicken-vegetably dish. All the recipes in my cook books seem really complicated. Please help.

Thanks!

Here is what I do for a quick and easy stir-fry:

In a bowl, mix soy sauce, olive oil, ginger (fresh or powdered), garlic (powdered or minced). Chop a chicken breast and mix in to marinate while you chop the rest.

Chop a few veggies that you like and have in the house. I usually use any of the following: broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, zuccini, red and green peppers, spring onions, raddishes, eggplant, snow peas, baby corn, water chestnuts. I'm sure any vegetable will do, just go with what you like.

Heat some oil in a big frying pan. Fish the chicken out of the marinate and brown in the pan. Throw in the veggies and fry with the chicken until tender enough. I like it a bit on the crunchy side, others may like it a bit more done. Just make sure to add in things like broccoli and carrot a few minutes before the rest as they take the longest to cook. When it is almost all cooked through, add the remaining marinade in and stir fry for a minute or two.

Serve over rice and enjoy.

It's not fancy or complicated, but I think it is very tasty and very quick to make.

Yup, that's my recipe, almost word for word.

We're fond of serving it over brown rice, but you have to start brown cooking much sooner.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Here's what I do, snatched from Weight Watchers:

Stir Fry

The Sweet and Sour sauce is really good! I usually serve my stir fry with brown rice. There is an instant version, much quicker; I'm sure it isn't quite as good as regular slow cooked brown rice.

Have you guys ever tried a rice cooker? They come in all sizes, and make PERFECT rice, and it is SO easy. My favorite thing is brown rice with thos French's Dried Onion Rings crumbled in it.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Thanks for the recipes. I'm going to run to the store and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    Have you guys ever tried a rice cooker? They come in all sizes, and make PERFECT rice, and it is SO easy. My favorite thing is brown rice with thos French's Dried Onion Rings crumbled in it.

Nanci
    I think I'm the only human on the planet who destroys rice in a rice cooker. I do much better with a pot on the stove

I LOVE Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce.

http://www.soyvay.com/

In a bout of laziness, I zap frozen mixed veggies in the microwave and put some sauce over it. I'll also put individual breasts in freezer bags with the sauce and (when I remember) to pull one out in the morning it defrosts/marinades over the course of the day.
    Last edited by Robbin_G; 03-22-2006 at 06:21 AM.

This is a really easy, tasty stir-fry. I have everything cut up and prepared before I start cooking. I've also done this with beef and it was delicious.

Szechuan Chicken Stir-Fry
    2 to 4 servings

6 Tbs Tamari (low sodium)
    2 Tbs white wine vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or, to taste)
    1 lb (approx.) chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2-3/4” pieces
    3 Tbs cornstarch
    2 Tbs peanut oil (more, if necessary)
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger root
    1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 2 inch pieces OR 1 bunch broccoli cut into florets and coins (from stem)
    Freshly cooked rice

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
    2. Dredge chicken in cornstarch.
    3. Heat oil in wok or heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry for one minute.
    4. Add chicken and stir-fry until chicken is opaque, about 5-10 minutes.
    5. Add Tamari mixture and stir-fry 30 seconds.
    6. Add vegetable, mixing everything together in wok, and cover. Turn down heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
    7. Serve chicken immediately with rice.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    I think I'm the only human on the planet who destroys rice in a rice cooker. I do much better with a pot on the stove
    Nope, you're not the only one. It never comes out right for me in a rice cooker!