Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Favorite Convenience Store/MiniMart Foods

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Chocolate Milk thread just now made me think of this. What are your favorite convenience store foods that you like to eat on long rides?

Mine has to be those Hostess Fruit Pies. The Apple ones have 480 calories (67 carbs, 3 protein, 22 fat) and I would have to say that the one I had at mile 130 of the Seattle to Portland saved my bacon bigtime! It was horribly junky but hey, it was tasty, it didn't upset my stomach, and it worked!

I don't know, I can never make a decision; I just wander the aisles in a daze and end up with flavored milk, Gatorade and Amp. One time I got some of those milk and cereal bars, those were pretty good.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Red Bull and Snickers! After a ride - orange soda and a hot dog.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I learned here about Fig Newtons. Good stuff, Maynard.

I'm also fond of orange juice and salted nuts.

I just may start buying chocolate milk, but it seems a bit heavy on the stomach for the middle of the day.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Bliss is finding a soda machine housing an ice cold coca-cola at the top of a 4,000 ft climb...

while not exactly a conveince store food here (in Europe yes!) my favorite long haul food - prosciutto or serranno ham sandwiches - a great combo of protein carbs and relatively low in fat. They keep well with minimal/no refridgeration and don't upset my stomach. Top it off with some raisins and chocolate for the perfect bike touring lunch.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I try to pick out something that at least looks like a healthy snack, but I almost always end up with a beef stick or jerky. I think I like the saltiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna
    I try to pick out something that at least looks like a healthy snack, but I almost always end up with a beef stick or jerky. I think I like the saltiness.

Snickers have nuts. That makes them healthy. Hot dogs have... mystery meat. That makes them... really gross when I think about it.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Twinkies, the wonder food

My nutritionist (LOL) turned me onto Twinkies. They're one of the healthiest convenience store snacks, if what you need is energy:

Calories each 150
    Calories from Fat 41 (27%)
    Calories from Carbohydrate 108 (71%)
    Calories from Protein 4 (3%)

Her strategy is, anything can be a health food. If you were starving on a desert island, a Snickers could save your life.

That being said, I'd never RELY on convenince store food rather than my solid PB&J and Cytomax, but sometimes sugar is your friend. And I HAVE done the convenience-store-supported 110 hilly miles. Twinkies halfway, here I come!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose ...” -- Dr. Seuss

Life's an adventure! http://www.lovenewsjh.blogspot.com

I always just want an ice cold Coca Cola. Not Pepsi, Not RC. COKE! And maybe some pretzels or peanut butter crackers. I like the sugar from the drink and the food to be salty.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Chocolate milk and Twinkies- I have died and gone to heaven! I aim to test out Twinkies tomorrow! And here I thought there would never be an excuse to eat them ever again in my life...

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Say What!?!

Quote Originally Posted by CyclaSutra
    My nutritionist (LOL) turned me onto Twinkies. They're one of the healthiest convenience store snacks, if what you need is energy:

Calories each 150
    Calories from Fat 41 (27%)
    Calories from Carbohydrate 108 (71%)
    Calories from Protein 4 (3%)

Her strategy is, anything can be a health food. If you were starving on a desert island, a Snickers could save your life.

That being said, I'd never RELY on convenince store food rather than my solid PB&J and Cytomax, but sometimes sugar is your friend. And I HAVE done the convenience-store-supported 110 hilly miles. Twinkies halfway, here I come!
    OK I'll accept that eating a twinkie would be better than starving to death, but when given the choice of a whole convenience store full of of other tasty and potentially less heart attack inducing snacks - why choose the one that is a tube of hydrogenated oil???
    That stuff is really really bad for you.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Fig newtons all the way. They have saved me from bonk many times!

V8!!! Salt and who knows what but it is very satisfying!

The twinkie idea sounds fantastic.

Where I ride (very rural bohemian western Marin), I generally run into small bakeries and not convenience stores. I used to get sticky buns and scones, but I have started trying whatever the soup of the day is (specifically at Bovine Bakery). I find soup is a fantastic pick me up, especially when the weather has been so cold. Last week in my 120 miler, the soup was red pepper corn chowder. Yum!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I like those cheap tubes of salted nuts, especially honey roasted, as well as yogurt and bananas. The only highly questionable thing I get from convenience stores are the jojos and bbq-I-think-its-beef burritos on really long cold rides.

Yesterday I tried a Starbucks frappacino - right before my nasty climb. Surprisingly it sat well.

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 03-19-2006 at 04:01 AM.

TandemHearts.com