Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Chocolate Milk is the New Recovery Drink!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Below is an article published in a small sports journal about chocolate milk and cycling:

News Author: Laurie Barclay, MD
    CME Author: Désirée Lie, MD, MSEd

Feb. 27, 2006 — Chocolate milk is an effective postexercise drink that improves recovery, according to the results of a small, randomized trial reported in the February issue of the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.

"Our study indicates that chocolate milk is a strong alternative to other commercial sports drinks in helping athletes recover from strenuous, energy-depleting exercise," coauthor Joel M. Stager, PhD, from Indiana University in Bloomington, said in a news release. "Chocolate milk contains an optimal carbohydrate to protein ratio, which is critical for helping refuel tired muscles after strenuous exercise and can enable athletes to exercise at a high intensity during subsequent workouts."

On 3 separate days, 9 male, endurance-trained cyclists performed an interval workout followed by 4 hours of recovery, and a subsequent endurance trial to exhaustion at 70% maximum oxygen consumption (VO2max). In a single-blind, randomized design, the men drank equivalent volumes of chocolate milk, fluid replacement drink (FR), or carbohydrate replacement drink (CR) immediately after the first exercise bout and 2 hours of recovery. The chocolate milk and CR had equivalent carbohydrate content. Primary endpoints were time to exhaustion, average heart rate, rating of perceived exertion, and total work for the endurance exercise.

Time to exhaustion and total work were significantly greater for chocolate milk and for FR trials than for CR trials, suggesting that chocolate milk is an effective recovery aid between 2 exhausting exercise bouts.

Study limitations include the possibility that the 4-hour recovery period limited the complete digestion of the complex carbohydrates contained in CR.

"The results of this study suggest that chocolate milk, with its high carbohydrate and protein content, may be considered an effective alternative to commercial FR and CR for recovery from exhausting, glycogen-depleting exercise," the authors write.

The Dairy and Nutrition Council, Inc, supported this study in part.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006;16:78-91

YAY! I love it when science backs up my cravings! Thanks for posting this Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I've been extensively testing choc milk (as well as strawberry, vanilla and cookies and cream) as both a recovery drink _and_ a fuel on rides up to 250 miles for the past six months, in situations where I would have used Endurox R4, a standard recovery/fuel drink. I am completely satisfied with the results- including not really feeling the need to eat additional solid food on long rides and no stomach upset with adequate electrolyte intake for the circumstances. Just an experiment of one- but it's a lot cheaper and _always_ available at any convenience store during a ride. It's apparently been common knowledge to those athletes who used it before commercial recovery drinks were developed.

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Mmmm... my drink of choice for 35 years!

What great news... (like I needed an excuse )

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Hey - our own swiss ovomaltine (ovaltine in US AFAIK) has new ads... with ovomaltine you can't do it better, but you can do it longer....
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Chocolate milk and hot cocoa have been my post-ride fuel of choice for several years. It's a good way to sneak in some calcium and other good for you stuff.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

i saw chocolate and had to peak in!

mmm...chocolate milk!
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

More on chocolate milk and recovery

Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

lactose intolerant

Awwwww! I'm really craving a glass of chocolate milk now. I haven't had a real glass of milk in over 10 years! Can't handle it cause I'm lactose intolerant. I'd pay for it in the end, my rear end that is.

No chocolate milk here so ... I tried some Soy Chocolate milk and I feel better already!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Does Rice Dream have chocolate? I used to love the vanilla mixed with hot brown rice for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpie
    Awwwww! I'm really craving a glass of chocolate milk now. I haven't had a real glass of milk in over 10 years! Can't handle it cause I'm lactose intolerant. I'd pay for it in the end, my rear end that is.

Silk chocolate soymilk comes in great individual serving sizes that don't need to be refrigerated (before opening). It's great!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

he he he

I am at work reading this and I just realized I have one in the fridge...I brought it in for a post work mountain bike ride on Wed as my recovery drink, and I forgot it in the fridge....HAHA I am going to drink it now.....hell I figure I train enough to almost ALWAYS be recovering from something!!!!!

YUM!!!!!

Hey, RR - drink some Nature's Energy for me, will ya? It's one of those Kiwi things I miss.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.